50th Annual Drum Corps Grand Prix

Hey..... we're not talking ticks here !

EVERYBODY gets credit for weeks that pass on the calendar

Expressions like "where they SHOULD (my caps) score" are VALID

Cabs went from 0.4 behind Bucs to 0.8+ above .... a big difference

There were NINE corps in the show

Cabs poked Bucs in the nose (YOU can call it what you wish)......

The Bucs is not dead (don't blame me for the funny grammar; Leo Dorochure said it, and it's correct)

You can watch last night's entire show on 50" HD TV with Apple TV using Fan Network and "judge" for yourself. (They will perform their entire show right in your living room !) The wisest $70 I spent this year !

Cabs were M O T I V A T E D last night

Bucs are sure M O T I V A T E D now !

What a year for DCA...... let's embrace the 50th for what it is..... pure excitement !

Joe Dz

• Like 2

I'll tell you wat...if you like good color guards, this is absolutely your year.

:satisfied: Absolutely.

Being my first time seeing CV this year, I found their guard really grabbed me, a very nice book that they are performing quite well. Loved seeing Hurcs and C2 guards in their respective in uniforms as it visually added so much more to their programs. C2's guard has made huge strides from where they were in Bayonne.

• Like 2

As I said in a previous post, they meet again next week in Secaucus. That too should be a very interesting show.

• Like 3

John's right on about a tenth meaning a lot more than it used to. Especially in certain captions.

I think a lot of this "slam dunk" argument is going to come down to how valid the spread between Cabs and Bucs in one caption is - over a point in ensemble music is not just a slam dunk, it's a statement.

If that number doesn't hold up with other judges, the whole show looks different.

Numbers management is the biggest issue in judging - always has been.

What Robb said is that Bucs, from the stands, aren't in the same musical class as Cabs. (over 1 pt in a single caption).

If that turns out to be just his opinion, don't get too comfy with the slam dunk.

Big spreads within other close corps too, so this one judge (a good guy, and former Buc - so no axe to grind that I know of) had a hugely disproportionate affect on the outcome.

Just food for thought.

BTW, for dessert, Bucs were the same difference from Sun as they were from Cabs in this caption.

does that square with everyone's evaluation?

I think a lot of this "slam dunk" argument is going to come down to how valid the spread between Cabs and Bucs in one caption is - over a point in ensemble music is not just a slam dunk, it's a statement.

If that number doesn't hold up with other judges, the whole show looks different.

Numbers management is the biggest issue in judging - always has been.

What Robb said is that Bucs, from the stands, aren't in the same musical class as Cabs. (over 1 pt in a single caption).

If that turns out to be just his opinion, don't get too comfy with the slam dunk.

Big spreads within other close corps too, so this one judge (a good guy, and former Buc - so no axe to grind that I know of) had a hugely disproportionate affect on the outcome.

Just food for thought.

BTW, for dessert, Bucs were the same difference from Sun as they were from Cabs in this caption.

does that square with everyone's evaluation?

all very good points ray. you really are a smart guy. you got this judging thing down pat.

Ray asked: "BTW, for dessert, Bucs were the same difference from Sun as they were from Cabs in this (music ensemble) caption.

does that square with everyone's evaluation?"

That "same difference" is NOT a mathematical certainty..... CV appeared between Bucs and Cabs...... Sun was on 1st.... FOUR corps before Bucs... and two of them topped the Bucs to add to the validity........ yet, change the order of appearance and the scores tighten or spread.... all RELATIVE.

>>What Robb said is that Bucs, from the stands, aren't in the same musical class as Cabs. (over 1 pt in a single caption).<<

If I recall correctly, that's pretty much what the "instant reviewer" (John?) said ... and the term he used was "body slam" not "slam dunk" - two entirely different concepts IMO ... Ray, I'd be more interested in hearing your thoughts on whether the Hurc's #'s were what you expected ... and maybe Donny commenting on Sun's numbers ...

Good stuff ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

Seems to me that one point in either direction on your 2 points per week stuff is a 50% swing, that is really not that predictable, especially when it comes to placements, remember, it is rank, then rate...............glad you made it all the way up to Jersey to see the show tho,...................

Yes really.

I'm not shocked by the top 3 scores at all tonight. Pretty predictable actually. They were +\ - one point in either direction on the 2 points plus per week. Hard to beat that.

• Like 1

3 things. Number one...this is the first time Bucs have been defeated in a regular season show since 2005, and folks are griping about the spread?...Seriously!? Number two...an 8 tenth spread is NOT huge. And number three...CONGRATULATIONS CABS!

Edited by VOReason
  • Like 1

:satisfied: Absolutely.

Being my first time seeing CV this year, I found their guard really grabbed me, a very nice book that they are performing quite well. Loved seeing Hurcs and C2 guards in their respective in uniforms as it visually added so much more to their programs. C2's guard has made huge strides from where they were in Bayonne.

I totally agree with all of this. Not quite getting why CV's guard was scored so low, though. I had them right up there with Hurcs and Fusion--any of the three could have won guard last night. CV's sabre book is awesome and they perform the hell out of it.

• Like 1