50th Annual Drum Corps Grand Prix

So disappointed I didn't make this show!!!!! I guess I'll have to subscribe to the fan network and watch them. I did hear Cabs were just absolutely phenominal.

I agree with John that the Cabs have a great tuba line again this year. I haven't seen enough of the other corps to make my opinion permanent but after what I saw in Wildwood and with Cabs beating Bucs this weekend I have no doubt it'll be confirmed. Although I'd have to give props to the baritone line for Cabs this year. They may not be the best or whatever, but MAN what an improvement over last year!! I don't think that can be stated enough.

The Cabs have always had awesome mello and trumpet lines, but add in the awesome tuba line of last year and again this year, plus the huge improvement in the baritone line....wow such an awesome wall of sound hitting us in the stands. Those new horns they got really help too. Good for the Cabs brass line.

YES. The added LB sound the Cabs have developed have really given the brass a darker, richer quality that's still 100% Cabs and really, really sparkles. It's making a real difference.

YES. The added LB sound the Cabs have developed have really given the brass a darker, richer quality that's still 100% Cabs and really, really sparkles. It's making a real difference.

so compare this to the bucs. i'm just curious as to where these 2 lines stack up at this point.

so compare this to the bucs. i'm just curious as to where these 2 lines stack up at this point.

You're reading my mind. Both have a great sound, Don. Both sound very different, though. No cookie cutter brass there. I'd say Reading's like an AMG Black Edition, smooth, crazy-powerful, very laid back in how it applies the oomph and you know its there, too. The Cabs are like a Ferrari 458 Italia. They want to menace the heck out of you and pin your ears back with a smile when they get it revved.

You're reading my mind. Both have a great sound, Don. Both sound very different, though. No cookie cutter brass there. I'd say Reading's like an AMG Black Edition, smooth, crazy-powerful, very laid back in how it applies the oomph and you know its there, too. The Cabs are like a Ferrari 458 Italia. They want to menace the heck out of you and pin your ears back with a smile when they get it revved.

very good. that makes me get it now.

Bucs brass right now is good, not great. The standout section is the mellophones, the weak section is the baritones. They don't produce the dark, rich low brass they have in the past (to be fair, they didn't last year either, as opposed to, say, Black Symphony). It's a less technical book than they have played the last two years as well. The maturity of performer is an issue at times, especially when you hear the odd bari or tuba stick out, and they have some music ensemble problems to get worked out as well. I have no doubt the staff will lock this down.

Cabs are better across all sections. It's a more developed, mature sound. What Russ and his team have built over the last few years really pays off with the switch to Jupiter horns, which are darker at both ends of the choir spectrum. Cab's book is more technically demanding than the rest of the field as well, and they really have a handle on it.

I would say that Cabs have a clear, but not insurmountable lead over Bucs in the brass caption at this point in time (it's only mid-July after all).

Edited by Kamarag

Bucs brass right now is good, not great. The standout section is the mellophones, the weak section is the baritones. They don't produce the dark, rich low brass they have in the past (to be fair, they didn't last year either, as opposed to, say, Black Symphony). It's a less technical book than they have played the last two years as well. The maturity of performer is an issue at times, especially when you hear the odd bari or tuba stick out, and they have some music ensemble problems to get worked out as well. I have no doubt the staff will lock this down.

Cabs are better across all sections. It's a more developed, mature sound. What Russ and his team have built over the last few years really pays off with the switch to Jupiter horns, which are darker at both ends of the choir spectrum. Cab's book is more technically demanding than the rest of the field as well, and they really have a handle on it.

I would say that Cabs have a clear, but not insurmountable lead over Bucs in the brass caption at this point in time (it's only mid-July after all).

sounds like the bucs have a lot of work to do. but if you are right about the book and the sound who knows if they can catch up. thanks john.

Another thing that does not help the Bucs at all is the staging. With the front ensemble being staged on the field, the brass is confined to the rear half of the field and are never really in your face until the end after they "break on through". The whole show, you are thinking....what's going on....where is the volume? Then they give it to you at the end. It's just a shame that they can't give it to you for more of the show. I'm pretty sure you can't fix that at this point of the season.

Another thing that does not help the Bucs at all is the staging. With the front ensemble being staged on the field, the brass is confined to the rear half of the field and are never really in your face until the end after they "break on through". The whole show, you are thinking....what's going on....where is the volume? Then they give it to you at the end. It's just a shame that they can't give it to you for more of the show. I'm pretty sure you can't fix that at this point of the season.

in the long past we could but i think in this era you can't make a big fix. one year, 1969 we changed the whole first half of the show in mid season. but we were a local corps and had thursday and friday nights to work it. then we had our own show that was just an exhibition. we pulled it off and went from 7th to 5th. in 72 the cabs made wholesale changes and won DCA. but those were different times. don't think anybody can do it now. but i've been wrong before.

in the long past we could but i think in this era you can't make a big fix. one year, 1969 we changed the whole first half of the show in mid season. but we were a local corps and had thursday and friday nights to work it. then we had our own show that was just an exhibition. we pulled it off and went from 7th to 5th. in 72 the cabs made wholesale changes and won DCA. but those were different times. don't think anybody can do it now. but i've been wrong before.

Don, I agree... it's tougher now, with fewer shows, to make those huge changes.

But stranger things have happened, right? And the Bucs... well... they're the Bucs. Such a class act and great corps.... and they certainly are still very much in the title hunt. Again. LOL.

Don, I agree... it's tougher now, with fewer shows, to make those huge changes.

But stranger things have happened, right? And the Bucs... well... they're the Bucs. Such a class act and great corps.... and they certainly are still very much in the title hunt. Again. LOL.

Oh, no question. You *can* make major changes in late July. We did it in 2005 when Bobby rewrote the ending drill. But as DrumCorpsNutt said, they are pretty hamstrung by the pit placement and theme of the show. I'll bet dollars to donuts the design team knew this was a gamble, and it may still pay off for them...but it won't be easy.

The volume thing is another problem entirely...if they had the brass line from Black Symphony in 2012, we wouldn't even be discussing that issue at all. But it is what it is. The staff will figure it out, and it will get better. How much better remains to be seen (and as it were, heard).