Why does California get Full Panels?

You should actually change the name of the thread to "why does the East Coast get stuck with short panels?". Somehow the West Coast is the bad guy for having a panel that is the correct size? It's like complaining that it's unfair that people have cars that actually work, when you and others are stuck with cars that break down all the time. Misplaced anger IMHO. B!tch about what's wrong, not what's right. SMH.

• Like 2

You should actually change the name of the thread to "why does the East Coast get stuck with short panels?". Somehow the West Coast is the bad guy for having a panel that is the correct size? It's like complaining that it's unfair that people have cars that actually work, when you and others are stuck with cars that break down all the time. Misplaced anger IMHO. B!tch about what's wrong, not what's right. SMH.

Be sure to come back when you have something to contribute to this thread, kay bud? That last part makes absolutely no sense to me. Please clarify to me where I said what was right about the West Coast getting the advantage of having full panel reads over twice as much as everyone else in the country in the early season? Enlighten me sir. And what's the point in rewording what I said, it would come down to the same exact point. SMH. :wink: The BD in your username makes it hard for me to take that seriously, at all.

Edited by DrumManTx

There is another thread about how manifestly unfair it is that west coast corps have to do so much more traveling and championships have only been there once in 40 years. So maybe these two things cancel each other out?

Perhaps if you know you have to travel far and there are many judges in the area, then be judged early and equip yourself for the trip? Perhaps I'm writing nonsense.

I remember when I was in LA long ago, someone said 'That's bad!' which really meant 'That's awesome!' Regional semantics may be misinterpreted on a forum.

Don't know. I'm an old guard girl that had to project expression to the audience with precision, motion and movement and without sound, song or words.

It seems pretty simple...If you can get enough people to pay $50 for an early season (June) show that usually has only two finalists and only about 8 corps (3-4 of them Open Class), then you can afford a full judging panel, too. With so few shows in California, it isn't that surprising they get such a good turnout. Personally, I like it. If you want early season full panels, come to California. There is room enough for everyone!

• Like 5

DrumManTX, don't take it too personally. Perhaps my example didn't get the point across. Let me try again...the DCI system has eight captions. We can deduce from this fact that a proper panel size would be =/> 8 judges. Pointing out that shows here on the West Coast had the proper amount of judges, as some sort of unfair advantage, is misplaced anger. Fans should be taking DCI to task for *shortchanging* groups in the Midwest and East (aka "an unfair disadvantage"). THAT is where the BS resides. If you had a horn line and your horn manufacturer shipped your new set of horns with all of the baritones missing the main tuning slide, would you be going to them and complaining that all of the other horns were shipped with all the parts? Of course not. If this doesn't make it clear for you, then I'm afraid I can't help you. No need to get butthurt.

Oh, and no, it wouldn't be the same point. Think about it.

Edited by BDCorno
  • Like 3

Be sure to come back when you have something to contribute to this thread, kay bud? That last part makes absolutely no sense to me. Please clarify to me where I said what was right about the West Coast getting the advantage of having full panel reads over twice as much as everyone else in the country in the early season? Enlighten me sir. And what's the point in rewording what I said, it would come down to the same exact point. SMH. :wink: The BD in your username makes it hard for me to take that seriously, at all.

You targeted the thread as "why does the west coast have the number of judges that DCI shows should have?" instead of "why doesn't the east coast have the right number of judges?"

that's all the person was saying.

• Like 2

Full panel certainly gives a more realistic look at the standings of the corps competing out West and certainly an earlier "critique" than the rest of the corps are getting but that is certainly not the fault of the West but more of a deficiency for the rest. Maybe the fewer shows on the west coast and better weather (less rain) fills up the shows to capacity so more $$$ for more judges.(How many east and Midwest shows were rained out). The WC corps are all so good, even if Cadets/Coats/Crown get beaten up at the first regional, they have time and the talent to tweak and clean up for the next round. If anything, I think the east corps are more battle ready as they have been competing against each other all season so far and BD has no one on their level to compete with yet.

Edited by theCHEZman

DrumManTX, don't take it too personally. Perhaps my example didn't get the point across. Let me try again...the DCI system has eight captions. We can deduce from this fact that a proper panel size would be =/> 8 judges. Pointing out that shows here on the West Coast had the proper amount of judges, as some sort of unfair advantage, is misplaced anger. Fans should be taking DCI to task for *shortchanging* groups in the Midwest and East (aka "an unfair disadvantage"). THAT is where the BS resides. If you had a horn line and your horn manufacturer shipped your new set of horns with all of the baritones missing the main tuning slide, would you be going to them and complaining that all of the other horns were shipped with all the parts? Of course not. If this doesn't make it clear for you, then I'm afraid I can't help you. No need to get butthurt.

Oh, and no, it wouldn't be the same point. Think about it.

Firstly, it would help if you would refrain from saying that I am b!tching and butt hurt. Which I am not, just trying to generate some discussion here.

Secondly, thank you, that's the kind of response I am asking for, and I apologize if I came off as being defensive and not open to what you had to say. (Also I might have been having some fun with certain liquids last night on July 4th. :ninja:). When you put it that way, yes I can see that the wording can make a difference. I'm not too close minded to admit that. All is well.

• Like 2