Why does California get Full Panels?

If the west coast shows are indeed funding panels from corps kickback, or from home show budgets, then I never want to hear a west coast corps complain again about not having enough money to do "x" each year. We need to know if this is factually correct, or if DCI simply has more judges available near the west coast (somewhat truth) so they can do this. I'm not sure Hoppy would ever decline a full panel if he knew he could pay for it to get an early season full read.

And besides, why are the corps paying for judges anyway? That just seems, like, oh, sort of a big conflict of interest. *cough*artificial inflation*cough*

• Like 1

It's not hard to figure out, people. Straight economics. DCI Stanford is the first "big" show of the year. Pretty much all the west coast shows of any consequence occur on consecutive weekends. It's economical to send a panel out to an area, and have them do a group of shows. Three shows the weekend of Stanford, and four shows the following weekend (counting Mesa, AZ). Sorry to call BS on the "most of the judges are from the West" argument too. Only two of the eight the first weekend, and only one on the second weekend. Thirteen corps at the Glendora and Riverside shows, including seven of the top 19 from last season in World and six Open units. You get big crowds at the SoCal shows (both sellouts), so there is the financial backing to support the panels. In fact, both crowds were bigger than the one at Akron, which had seven finalists. I do SMH that DCI serially ignores the west coast and its obvious fertile market of potential customers. (look at the crowd from Pasadena in 07), but that's another story altogether. My personal opinion? DCI should make sure there are at least eight judges at every show, bar none. Maybe not #### away money on venues that are too large for events, or spend it on other non-essential activities?

DCI should make sure there are at least eight judges at every show, bar none. Maybe not #### away money on venues that are too large for events, or spend it on other non-essential activities?

This I can agree with. Although this year I have to admit there were several venue changes to smaller places (through no fault of their own) because of construction. For example, LaCrosse (supposed to be at the U of M), Buffalo (moved from UB to a pretty inner city and OLD venue that seats < 5,000), the Nashville show (was at MTSU, now at Vanderbilt). That show probably isn't really a downgrade though all things considered.

Shows like Mile High Stadium definitely can be downsized, although it is a cool place to be. Little Rock definitely could be downsized -- does it really need to be at War Memorial Stadium? Akron could have been at a high school as well with the not so stellar showing of fans this year.

I remember DCI back in the 90's when they were still intimate venues at nearly every show. Sure, the Regionals were appropriate for some bigger stadiums. But there was nothing quite like getting your face blown off at some piddly 1,500 seat home side with a sold out crowd. Instead, we've got 10,000+ home sides now with tons of open seats. Unless they are being filled consistently, I agree there should be alternative venues put on the schedule.

• Like 1

Every show should have a full panel. Its not that hard to get judges and the season is too short not to be evaluated every time out.

• Like 3

There is another thread about how manifestly unfair it is that west coast corps have to do so much more traveling and championships have only been there once in 40 years. So maybe these two things cancel each other out?

But what would we complain about?

• Like 1

But what would we complain about?

The weather.

Thats always a good place to look if you're not from the Left Coast.

This I can agree with. Although this year I have to admit there were several venue changes to smaller places (through no fault of their own) because of construction. For example, LaCrosse (supposed to be at the U of M), Buffalo (moved from UB to a pretty inner city and OLD venue that seats < 5,000), the Nashville show (was at MTSU, now at Vanderbilt). That show probably isn't really a downgrade though all things considered.

Shows like Mile High Stadium definitely can be downsized, although it is a cool place to be. Little Rock definitely could be downsized -- does it really need to be at War Memorial Stadium? Akron could have been at a high school as well with the not so stellar showing of fans this year.

I remember DCI back in the 90's when they were still intimate venues at nearly every show. Sure, the Regionals were appropriate for some bigger stadiums. But there was nothing quite like getting your face blown off at some piddly 1,500 seat home side with a sold out crowd. Instead, we've got 10,000+ home sides now with tons of open seats. Unless they are being filled consistently, I agree there should be alternative venues put on the schedule.

other than being at Vandy...blegh. :P

traffic on west end on a friday night in nashvegas should prove interesting. so should parking. food choices will be A LOT better. however, the mtsu show is a nightmare to get to if you take old fort parkway. it gets backed up from the school to the interstate, which are several miles away from each other.

Edited by chaos001