What corps is the biggest surprise this year?

I realize everyone else has taken their turn with your words here, but allow me to comment on this as well. Regardless of what view people here on DCP (and elsewhere) have of GH, he is not using HIS social, political, or religious views in the show.

My sentiments as well... while Hop and me are not on one anothers Christmas Card lists, Hop and the Cadets Show Designers havn't gone out of their way to politicize this year's show. I see nothing at all controversial in the narration spoken words, nor in anything at all for that matter in the 2014 edition of the Cadets. Its essentially a show theme revolving around the Patriotism vibe of a positive feel good America that we generally get once every decade or so from the Cadets. Its nothing new under the sun from them as a caliber theme, but its an entertaining show, with good music, good drill, well executed, and it works with judges and most fans alike.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

That no one folded or took the year off!!!!!!

Not world at least...

for me right now, Crown's percussion. They went from a liability last season to an asset this season! I'm legitimately surprised they won percussion tonight, with last year's DCI percussion Finals judge no less, over Cadets and Bluecoats - two incredible percussion sections!

I look forward to seeing how this incredible caption plays out in August, but right now it's an awesome surprise to see Crown consistently performing at a high standard this year: awesome job on turning things around!!

• Like 1

Actually, you stated "social, political, religious, sappy sentimental" views. Sorry we weren't able to truly decipher that you only meant one of them.

Our bad.

if you scroll back you will see that I was not only speaking of this years show design, but several years collectively. Sorry if i did make that more clear.

That no one folded or took the year off!!!!!!

Agreed, although that applies only to DCI World Class, since DCI Open Class, DCA Open Class, and DCA Class A all have some corps from last year who aren't appearing this year. Fortunately, there are new DCI Open Class corps and DCA Open Class corps, so that the net is positive.

Agreed. Only point it out because eric49 doesn't seem to like whatever he sees Hop "preaching" about even though they're probably of the same political bent.

oh i can assure you we are not

We are all ranting and raving over not much. After tonight the rankings IMO seem virtually set, with the real possibility of the Bluecoats moving into 2nd place over the Cadets.

I would love to see them give BD a run for their money, but can't see that happening this year. Witht all the talk about PR not being PR or loosing it's identity, Bluecoats are a perfect example of reinventing themselves, but they still are THE BLUECOATS.

For me, the biggest positive surprise is the quality being put out by The Academy, Mandarins, and Pacific Crest. Based on what they have put out in previous years, I thought they were a bit underscored in Southern California. They won't make finals, but their race to see who finishes up top will be really fun to watch.

• Like 2

Haven't seen anything from West Coast corps.

On the micro level --

Positive: Crown percussion, Cadets guard

Negative: none really

More macro --

Positive:

--Cavies show. They sound a little more like "themselves" (aka from 5-10 years ago), lots of energy, less of the weirdness from 12-13.

--Bluecoats show and performance. We all knew they had this in them, it's just sometimes they can disappoint with shows that don't highlight how powerful this corps can be and how much attitude they can exude.

--Cadets show. Like Chad said, a lot of us were expecting 2008 with presidents and the Allentown Wall, with questionable visual design. Instead, we got an undefeated corps with a potentially top 3 or better guard, with a brass picking up where 2013 left off. It somehow avoids cheese, and seems to have left itself with a lot of smart room to grow.

Negative:

--Boston show. Ok, I've only seen the Akron show, but I thought it was a bit of a mess. It seems ambitious, but in a way that I'm apathetic about. I'll see them again at Finals, they're a corps I really want to do well every year (like SCV, Regiment, and frankly Glassmen :( )

--Regiment show. Again, only the Akron show. Just felt like the same show they've given us most years starting in 2006. Not a fan of this version of the black unis. The guard unis are NOT a problem for me, though.