Rebuild or Championship?

So for the longest time I've been thinking about this. During my 5 years of indoor drumline I could have made the switch from open class to world class to make finals because the world group was better than the open. But after my first year I felt like I really improved the group because I had drum corps experience and the rest were just marching band kids. So instead of moving to a world group i stayed for 4 more years and helped get the group into finals for the first time in Dayton.

So my question is would you rather be in a group for years and help rebuild it or jump to other corps trying to win a championship?

In drum corps I went with the option of trying to make a group better and now things are looking great for them and I couldnt be more happy to call that place home.

• Like 2

I would love to be the loyal person, but I'm too competitive. I believe I would jump ship. That's just me. I hated getting 5th in 2005 even though it was an amazing feat for us against the uber-talented Madison Scouts, and ridiculous to believe the Bluecoats would've medalled with all of the other quality shows. But it's hard for me to say. If I'd have joined Bloo 4 years earlier, I definitely could see being loyal and helping build a group that would continue to rise through the late 2000s. I mean I could've marched 2006, but I didn't have the money and I regret not finding the scratch to this day (ie. see screen name). But I've always wanted to venture to other groups in DCI as well. I've loved Phantom and Blue Devils since I started, so if I would've had more time, I might have tried out for those groups as well, just to get a different perspective on the activity.

Some of us from the 50's and 60's usually stayed with your local DC, but I never regretted joining the Crusaders after the 63 season. Would have done it a year sooner if my Dad hadn't become President of the Braintree Drum & Bugle Corps. What a night and day difference that change became. Talk about moving up to prime time!

It seems to me that you have no regrets on your own decision. You gained personal satisfaction of what you and those in the drum line accomplished.

• Like 1

I have loyalty out the wazzoo. I never marched drum corps, but if i did i would stick with my first corps, unless the first corps was not the one i grew up liking.

This could be said for any activity hence my vagueness.

in my Junior corps days ( later marched Military, DCA, & Alumni Corps ), I Marched from age 9 to ageout year 21 with one Corps.... ( once a local circuit perennial champion and a national top 10 Corps.. but they took a year off after so many age outs )... we were essentally a restart button corps when I joined at age 9 with little kids, all local kids too.... 'helped bring that Junior Corps back to respectable national stature years later... and would do it all again without batting an eye, as they are like family to me, and still have friends from that Junior Corps. I don't begrudge Corps hoppers or ring chasers, but I highly doubt their overall Junior Corps experience exceeds my overall Junior Drum Corps experience, not with the many life long friends I've made in that one Junior Corps, anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

I really don't think it's a big deal for someone to want to move onto bigger and better things if that's what their heart desires. I can see wanting to be loyal as well though, I guess it depends on the situation. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with either. What I don't like, I'll use a certain person I know as an example, is when a certain someone I've met, the corps they're associated with shall remain nameless, absolutely trashed a few members that went on to a corps that placed well above where they were in the same section with this nameless person. Said horrible, mean, and disgusting things about the corps they were going to, and why the one they were in was so much better, and that they were betraying them and that they didn't have any dignity. I get having pride in your corps, but being an ######## because someone chose to move on? Come on, give me a break. Some people just want something different, or quite frankly to be in a better corps because their playing ability warrants it.

Me? I cannot say, since I'll probably just rookie out next year, I guess I won't be able to know. But I tend to be a pretty loyal person that forms bonds, and I don't like to break those. I get pretty emotionally attached to any bonds I make. I'd say I would probably stay with whoever I started with, I guess that's just the kind of person I am. I'm not too competitive, I'm all about the experience. I can see the other side though, nothing wrong with that.

Edited by DrumManTx

I would love to be the loyal person, but I'm too competitive. I believe I would jump ship. That's just me. I hated getting 5th in 2005 even though it was an amazing feat for us against the uber-talented Madison Scouts, and ridiculous to believe the Bluecoats would've medalled with all of the other quality shows. But it's hard for me to say. If I'd have joined Bloo 4 years earlier, I definitely could see being loyal and helping build a group that would continue to rise through the late 2000s. I mean I could've marched 2006, but I didn't have the money and I regret not finding the scratch to this day (ie. see screen name). But I've always wanted to venture to other groups in DCI as well. I've loved Phantom and Blue Devils since I started, so if I would've had more time, I might have tried out for those groups as well, just to get a different perspective on the activity.

My son marched another top 12 drum corps and had a wonderful time, however when the time came and he was offered a contract with the best brass line in DCI he had to go for it. He always wanted to be in the crown hornline. I would have liked to see him march with the same corps again, but i understand now and it has been the best move for him. He is loving his time with Carolina Crown this season.

• Like 1

My son marched another top 12 drum corps and had a wonderful time, however when the time came and he was offered a contract with the best brass line in DCI he had to go for it. He always wanted to be in the crown hornline. I would have liked to see him march with the same corps again, but i understand now and it has been the best move for him. He is loving his time with Carolina Crown this season.

so the point i was going for in this is what if people stayed with the corps and that corps turned into what crown did. You could be like we were the group that started the surge of so-so back to relevance. The only way to live now adays is to get the talent. Glassmen were a destination point at one time. They slowly dropped and became a feeder corps. The year after i marched only about a quarter of the hornline was vets. 2 years after i marched there only about 5 were left. Last summer the corps i was with only had about 4-7 people that marched with the corps for 3+ years. This year there are about 15 or more with 3+ years and about 20 in 2+ and the corps is making big strides.

I stayed with my corps (DCA) and helped it go from DFL in finals to first. But I would have stayed regardless because it was my corps.

Even when I went to teach, I went more because of who I'd teach with as opposed to going for a ring

• Like 1