DCI's Essentials Collection - The Classics: A Must Buy

I also wouldn't consider Star 93 "a classic". It was far ahead of it's time and not much of magnet for the "legacy fan" which is what the Essentials is targeted toward. I find it funny how much people from today love 93 Star yet back then, it actually got booed. I love it. But not everybody else my age does or did. Especially back then.

Edited by bmjfelts1988

BD's show was booed just 2 year's, and in other cases got a golf clap, by today's current DCI'ers. Maybe in 20 years, the teenagers of then will find it odd that the older fans back then did that too. Lets also not forget also that the DCI judges in 1993 not only did not consider the '93 Star " a classic", heck the DCI Judges did't even think it was the best designed, best performed show for even THAT year (1993). Ironically, some of those 1993 DCI judges are still found judging some of the big shows in DCI even today.. including Championships week.

Edited by BRASSO

Its a shame that their werent any great shows between 1974 & 1979.

The other two Essentials contain early shows, but I agree. For one, I'd have included 76 or 78 Bridgemen rather than 80, though I do love 80 and I realize that was their highest placement, but 76 and 78 are more vintage. For 1979 I would have included Phantom and Spirit. I'm also surprised 1980 27th was not selected and that 1999 Madison "Jesus Christ, Superstar" did not make this cut. DCI, use this post as food for thought for next year's Essentials.

• Like 1

BD's show was booed just 2 year's, and in other cases got a golf clap, by today's current DCI'ers. Maybe in 20 years, the teenagers of then will find it odd that the older fans back then did that too. Lets also not forget also that the DCI judges in 1993 not only did not consider the '93 Star " a classic", heck the DCI Judges did't even think it was the best designed, best performed show for even THAT year (1993). Ironically, some of those 1993 DCI judges are still found judging some of the big shows in DCI even today.. including Championships week.

I couldn't agree more. Which is why I chuckle every time I hear someone talk about 93 Star as if it was one of the greatest fan favorite spectacles of all time. Most people from today's activity have no earthly idea how hated that show was in it's time. And your parallels to the last two years of BD is spot on. In 20 years, everybody will probably love those shows as well.

Most people from today's activity have no earthly idea how hated that show was in it's time. And your parallels to the last two years of BD is spot on. In 20 years, everybody will probably love those shows as well.

I think this year's Boston show in 20 years will be looked on more favorably than it is by today's DCI judges and those over 50. Boston's show seems generally well received by the younger DCI fans in my assessment..................... Did you know DCI in its early years had judges judging Finals that were in their 20's ? People might have forgotten this fact, or were not even aware of it. I think all the current DCI judges qualify today for AARP Membership. I'm not opposed to this on the face of it, but people in their 50's, 60's, 70's, do tend to look at music, art, etc quite differently than people in their teens, 20's, early 30's in my observations.

Edited by BRASSO

(deleted -- not pertinent to thread)

Edited by HornTeacher

Take a really close look at the line up. There is only one year per corps. And I agree with picking 90 over 93 Star. 93 Star was revolutionary from a design and visual standpoint, but the reality is, back then, people hated Star 93 as much as people hated BD 2013. 90 on the other hand was all balls from beginning to end!!!

Star deserves all the tracks!

Edited by soccerguy315

I dunno. Star 93 plays much better on video than it does on audio only, while Belshazzar's Feast really, really works without the visual element (along with '89 in my opinion). I think it's a great choice. I'm with you in dropping some cash.

I also thought it was odd to put Crown's "Triple Crown" show on this set, instead of one of their higher-placing, better executed, seeming more popular shows like their 09 "Grass is Always Greener" show (first time they medaled)