Advice: Attending Prelims or just semis and finals?

I've never attended DCI finals. This year I have a personal connection to a corps, so I want to attend. What I'm wondering is if whether I should go to prelims or not. It appears to be a very long day and I'll have two kids with me who may not appreciate an entire day of it, though they can handle a night or part of a day.

The corps I'm most interested in may not make the finals, so if I only attend semis, that will be the last time I see them perform (I saw them twice in early season).

Veterans and newbies alike: what are your thoughts on this? I need to buy tickets and get a hotel room this week.

Thanks!

I always go to prelim and semi - and frankly skip finals. Semi are typically the best peformances

You get much better seats and tickets are much cheaper - 2 shows literally for the price of finals

Edited by George Dixon

I have went to Finals with my son the past two years. This is his first year marching with a corps so I'll be going to Semis to guarantee seeing him there. I also have two Finals tickets. If he makes finals, then I'll simply eat the cost of one ticket or find someone that needs a single ticket. If he doesn't make finals, then I get to spend the evening with my son watching DCI's finest. I cannot lose!

Edited by BaritoneDad
  • Like 1

Depends on your two children's maturity, attention span, and how many days your budget allows. Since you typed in the first person, it sounds like it's you and two children. With a few breaks, possibly semis is the way to go. Historically, there are only a few corps who may move up after semis and the the corps are at the top of their game. Have fun and may it work out for you and the children.

If you want to see "your" corps twice more, then go to prelims for as long as you can to see them. If you don't think they'll make finals then you'll see their likely best performance of the year.

I disagree with George, though, in that, while it is true that you get prelims and semis for the cost of finals, the excitement on finals night is, generally, much higher than semis (and I question his blanket statement that the best shows are prelims anyway). If you like the activity as much as "your" corps then go to finals.

(disclaimer: your enjoyment will likely be directly affected by the location of your seats. While a corps' best performance may be on Saturday night, your seat location may make the semi's performance more enjoyable for you.)

Do corps members whose corps don't make finals get to watch finals for free? Or do they have to have a ticket too?

I almost wish there was a dummie's guide to DCI with an explanation of how these things all work. Honestly, wouldn't that be a great marketing tool for parents of corps members? Or are they afraid it would scare folks off? Having watched the Bluecoats DVD about what it's like to be a member: for a parent with no DCI experience, if that doesn't scare you off, I don't think schedule/logistics info will either.

• Like 1

I would say Semis and Finals. I've got two kids and when old enough I will do the same thing. It's cool to see the final product especially the pride and emotion involved when it's a in the line for one show!!

Do corps members whose corps don't make finals get to watch finals for free? Or do they have to have a ticket too?

I almost wish there was a dummie's guide to DCI with an explanation of how these things all work. Honestly, wouldn't that be a great marketing tool for parents of corps members? Or are they afraid it would scare folks off? Having watched the Bluecoats DVD about what it's like to be a member: for a parent with no DCI experience, if that doesn't scare you off, I don't think schedule/logistics info will either.

As I recall, they get wrist bands and can sit wherever they can find a seat.

They have in and outs at the show and depending upon where you are staying, many hotels are a short walk so you can catch some stuff at prelims – take a break and go back later

With kids, prelims will be easier, more friendly and the fans will be less annoyed if the kids act up

If you want to see "your" corps twice more, then go to prelims for as long as you can to see them. If you don't think they'll make finals then you'll see their likely best performance of the year.

I disagree with George, though, in that, while it is true that you get prelims and semis for the cost of finals, the excitement on finals night is, generally, much higher than semis (and I question his blanket statement that the best shows are prelims anyway). If you like the activity as much as "your" corps then go to finals.

(disclaimer: your enjoyment will likely be directly affected by the location of your seats. While a corps' best performance may be on Saturday night, your seat location may make the semi's performance more enjoyable for you.)

well the other thing I work into it is finals is now a live pay-per-view event.. last year I flew home Saturday morning and hosted a large viewing party with friends at my house Saturday night for finals -- with draft beers and awesome munchies

I've been to many finals - so for me the "thrill" of that is kinda muted - probably been to 25 of them

Now it is just or more enjoyable and cost effective to do the first couple nights and zoom. Especially true if I had kids in tow. Finals night is a little serious and, frankly. LATE