Why now is better than before, new better than old

Age does not empart intelligence. You guys love to pontificate as if your age makes you better.

Age does not, necessarily, make one "better". However, with age comes experience, and oftentimes experience does make one wiser. Further, age gives one perspective while (usually) mitigating the competitive feelings we may have carried with us in our youth. These feelings, at least for me, made it impossible to enjoy or even sometimes appreciate the efforts of the corps in our "competitive neighborhood". As I have gotten older, I have found that I enjoy the shows far more when I don't care about the competitive aspect; when I don't worry about disliking one group or another because they are beating "my" group.

• Like 3

I made this comment in a different thread. However, I think it is more appropriate here.

I am going to come at this from a different perspective because I can.

I may represent the longest period of time between competitive seasons for a marching drum corps brass player. I last marched a competitive drum corps show in 2010 with the Buccaneers. Before that, my last competitive show was with the Cavaliers in 1980. That's right, 30 years between competitive drum corps participation. I think I can speak to both sides of this issue.

BITD, marching styles were different, equipment was different and judging was different. We marched high step and still had to keep our feet out of the horns. We played horns that were more challenging to keep in tune. Heck, the horns had a limited number of notes that could even be played. Unless you had good/great range, you couldn't even play more than 2 octave chromatic scale. Sure, we were wind bags, but we blew the snot out of those old horns and a wall of sound was a...

:peek: "WALL OF SOUND" :peek:

More recently, we mark time with only our heels coming off the ground. However, we run while we play. We have much better horns that stay in tune and have a different tone quality. We have brass techs that run around with a tuner on their iPhone. Arrangers can write much more challenging parts and don't have to worry about not being able to play a specific note. And for sound, let's face it, 60 horns "in tune" will always sound stronger than a current group with 300 horns filled with some students (not all) that are only marching to party with "The Band" or get into the football game for free (See college marching bands).

Unless you can say that you were there BITD, and today, you really can't compare the two.

I truly loved marching with the Cavaliers back in 1980 when I got the opportunity to hear the awesome sound from Spirit, the beautiful Jazz of the Blue Devils and the fun of the Bridgemen. I also truly enjoyed marching in 2010 with the Bucs. I now get the opportunity to hear the impressive skills of the students in Crown, BD, Cadets, Bluecoats and so many other fine corps.

Don't be foolish in slamming one generation over another. If it wasn't for the crews back in the 40s & 50s that really started Drum Corps, or the 70s & 80s that started, and built DCI, we wouldn't have the opportunity to hear the top drum corps that you hear today. Respect your elders while enjoying the exuberance of the todays' youth.

• Like 8

As to the topic, I agree with what others have said: The members, by and large, are treated FAR better than they were when I marched, in terms of meals, safety, etc. Comparing the product on the field is a fool's errand. There were things that were incredible in just about every era of drum corps, and there were (and still are) things that are not so good.

The experience, for the members, has basically remained the same, though, and that is a Good Thing.

then_now.jpeg

well then tell them to comb the desert!

Ahh, the ignorance of youth, right?

/sarcasm

Some of the biggest supporters of modern DCI here on DCP are what you would call "old timers".

don't use logic. it confuses him.

• Like 2

Age does not empart intelligence. You guys love to pontificate as if your age makes you better.

youth does not impart genius either.

See you live to blanket brush everyone so you can look cool and have all of your friends read DCp and crow to you how cool you are.

Yet some of the funniest, most spot on accurate things ever written here.....were by people of ALL ages.

so while you think your comedy skills are growing by leaps and bounds with your trolling posts, in reality, you're the guy that goes on at open mike night at 2 Am, long after the headliners are done

• Like 2

No, the overall performance level has gotten slower. More people finishing marathons now at a slower average time.

Maybe the average time is lower because more recreational runners are entering marathons. But, the elite runners best times have been set (I believe) in the last 20 years than back in the 60's-80's, even though some of those runners are still listed in the books. Most records of track & field, swimming, power lifting, etc. have been done recently.

As to the topic, I agree with what others have said: The members, by and large, are treated FAR better than they were when I marched, in terms of meals, safety, etc. Comparing the product on the field is a fool's errand. There were things that were incredible in just about every era of drum corps, and there were (and still are) things that are not so good.

The experience, for the members, has basically remained the same, though, and that is a Good Thing.

we do however, with the emphasis on visual risks being asked of the kids, seeing more injuries

I have no idea.. as I'm WAY better now than years ago, and my activities are far more stellar too.

From the TMI department...Well, we really don't need to know about your...er...love life! :tounge2:

Edited by MikeD