(Un)sanitary conditions

My two cents: From what I've observed with the corps I volunteer for (as cook) - they stay pretty healthy considering the close proximity and exhaustion. If illness breaks out, there is a lecture with many reminders about washing hands and water jugs.

There is always at least one cook who has a food handler's permit and knows the ropes and we are very careful in those kitchens. The last thing a dedicated cook mom wants is to make her kids sick. I don't think it's a common occurence for illness to come from corps cook trailers though no doubt it happens in isolated instances. I do believe lack of sleep, sharing stale air and not washing hands is the more likely candidate.

Luckily when I marched we never had any issues. We cleaned our water jugs/bleached them pretty regularly. No bugs or injuries to speak of. We were also force fed fruit on a daily basis...I didn't eat a banana for 2 years after tour :satisfied:

Forgive my ignorance but which corps pulled out of which show? 2009 was the worst for this if I recall...Crown, Blue Stars...

Blue Stars had to pull out of last nights show, which was rained out anyway.

Regarding the drivers and the hope they are all getting plenty of rest. BITD in my rookie year, we were really short of bus drivers to the point one of our mallet players drove one of our busses after rehearsing all day on tour. He had his CDL and endorsements and he drove nearly every night on a cross country tour. It scared me to no end and I stayed up and talked with for as long as I could every night. I could see the fatigue on his face while he was driving...

BTW, I worked for a government agency for a long time and part of my job was to report any health and/or food violations I witnessed to the health dept though I did not work for them, we worked side by side and I can say I have seen OC's operation up front and they do everything possible to keep their members and staff healthy. Everybody who serves food wears protective gloves ( members are not allowed to grab food off the serving tables) and hand sanitizer is placed everywhere possible. Also, filling up a jug or a cup with liquid, it is important to not have either touching the spout from the source. Next time you're out, you can tell if you have a careful bartender if you notice they will not allow the glass to touch the spout of a tap. A lot of cross contamination is spread here w/o a lot of thought about it.

One of the positive aspects of corps having to contract out for drivers and busses is, the companies are adamant to keep their drivers within their limits behind the wheel.

<sarcasm>

Everyone is completely wrong about this and should listen to George Carlin: your immune system needs practice.

Let me tell you a story about immunization: when I was a little boy on tour in the early aughts, I spent 3 months living in squalor, drinking putrid water from multiple jugs that were never sanitized, and getting uncomfortably close to many people who were just as piggish as I was.

And when I dropped poorly cooked food on the sidewalk near some high school in southern Louisiana, I'd pick it up and eat it.

As a result: My immune system is equipped with the biological equivalent of fully automatic military assault rifles, with night vision and laser scopes. And we have recently acquired phosphorous grenades, cluster bombs and anti personnel fragmentation mines.

So, when my white blood cells are on patrol reconnoitering my blood stream seeking out strangers and other undesirables, and if they see any, ANY, suspicious looking germs of any kind, THEY DON'T #### AROUND.

</sarcasm>

• Like 3

Blue Stars had to pull out of last nights show, which was rained out anyway.

has anyone considered that maybe blue stars decided to give the members a full day of rest to recover instead of marching a few holes and slowing everyone's recovery?

so maybe it's just an ordinary viral infection and not the plague...

btw the 2009 plague stuck with kids for several weeks at a time -- it was not just a normal virus.

on the list of things that i would change:

food trucks would send all water through a proper filter system that includes UV. some of the water kids drink at housing sites is down right scary. not much of an investment for a big payoff in both safety and quality.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

BTW, I worked for a government agency for a long time and part of my job was to report any health and/or food violations I witnessed to the health dept though I did not work for them, we worked side by side and I can say I have seen OC's operation up front and they do everything possible to keep their members and staff healthy. Everybody who serves food wears protective gloves ( members are not allowed to grab food off the serving tables) and hand sanitizer is placed everywhere possible. Also, filling up a jug or a cup with liquid, it is important to not have either touching the spout from the source. Next time you're out, you can tell if you have a careful bartender if you notice they will not allow the glass to touch the spout of a tap. A lot of cross contamination is spread here w/o a lot of thought about it.

One of the positive aspects of corps having to contract out for drivers and busses is, the companies are adamant to keep their drivers within their limits behind the wheel.

As an OC cook I can say I was chided for making a mistake of covering a leftover pan in the walk-in with the wrong covering, i.e. a cover that would allow something from above to drip into it - thus creating cross-contamination. These kinds of mishaps are watched for and dealt with in a speedy fashion.

Edited by luv4corps

I won't name the corps, but it is one that has been around for some decades.

Anyway, when my brother marched this corps in the late 80's there was a cook referred to as 'Sweaty Betty'; one evening she was observed, with all her glorious perspiration, mixing up chicken salad (post-show snack) with her arm.

My brother said they ordered pizza that night.

• Like 1

I remember a specific food truck volunteer who would stir the gatorade buckets with her whole arm. They weren't pretty arms. Drank a lot of water that summer.