Carolina Crown: The future of DCI, or just a bad era like disco?

You're right about the Bluecoats this year, and there are many other corps who are doing similar things to Crown as well. Just because they're doing stuff I don't like doesn't mean I'll ever stop being a fan. All the corps, including Crown, have great moments in their shows...which makes the synthesized stuff even more distracting. You're also correct in that corps have done goofy stuff going all the way back to the 70's and 80's. However, Crown has taken it to a whole new level and just happens to be leading the way right now.

I would agree with that other poster...... BD has been and is STILL leading the way in terms of design. The "goofyness" as you call it was pretty much at its pinnacle with the Dada show.

I have never been distracted during a show ever. I watch exactly what is presented as it is presented in the way the designers intend it to be presented.

Now excuse me while I go out back and flip over my scalene triangle and use it as a seesaw

Edited by DCImonkey

Making traditionalists angry is fun.

As someone who tries to stand outside of the moronic traditionalist/progressive dichotomy, it's my experience that the "progressives" are much, much easier to troll than "traditionalists". Some of the older dudes may be pea-brained dinosaurs but they're made of sterner stuff, having survived on PB&J and Koolaid, pushing their buses from show to show , etc. It seems like the more progressive types spew their Starbucks caramel cinnamon pumpkin pie mocha lattes all over their crappy overpriced apple products every time someone criticizes a synthesizer.

• Like 7

I think you're reading things into what I said that aren't there. I'm asking that if we use electronics, let's use them well. In regards to Crown 2011, that was an excellent use of synth that required a talented pianist and provided him with a challenging part. However, the vast majority of synth usage out there today is *not* challenging for a skilled piano-keyboard player. I don't think it's insulting to ask that synth players are asked to be as proficient with their instrument as the brass players are.

As for the dynamics and amp levels, you and I have disagreed on this in the past. I've been unfortunate enough to sit near staff micromanaging the mix via radio from high in the stands. This is taking the blend and balance completely out of the hands of the pit performers. I think that blend and balance are a critical part of ensemble playing that is supposed to be judged in DCI competitions. But at least some corps do not leave this in the hands of their performers.

Synth players ARE as proficient with their instrument as the brass players are. If they weren't they wouldn't be playing synth in a drum corps. How can you insinuate that they aren't?

And now I remember we have debated about this before in the past, so no need to beat a dead horse.

But here's an example of what world class synth parts are like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQta79VQyrY

Edited by charlie1223

As someone who tries to stand outside of the moronic traditionalist/progressive dichotomy, it's my experience that the "progressives" are much, much easier to troll than "traditionalists". Some of the older dudes may be pea-brained dinosaurs but they're made of sterner stuff, having survived on PB&J and Koolaid, pushing their buses from show to show , etc. It seems like the more progressive types spew their Starbucks caramel cinnamon pumpkin pie mocha lattes all over their crappy overpriced apple products every time someone criticizes a synthesizer.

THIS.......is hilarious

• Like 1

Oh, I don't doubt it. Nor was I implying what you said isn't true. My statement stands as it originally did. Making traditionalists angry is fun.

The idea is that the addition of synthesizers, body movement, all standard brass, crazy props, etc, allow for better "art" and therefore a better curriculum and better education for the members. The addition of synthesizers allows for a wider timbral and textural palette. Body movement likewise adds to the possible visual repertoire and increases the "content" in a show. Corps have a competitive disadvantage by not utilizing contemporary techniques.

Making traditionalists angry is fun.

1759.jpg_1.jpg

• Like 3

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Someone needs to enlighten pea-brained dinosaurs even if it means putting their lattes down! :P But maybe their sternness evaporates when they log onto this forum because half of the topics are started by complainers...

Edited by charlie1223

Oh, I don't doubt it. Nor was I implying what you said isn't true. My statement stands as it originally did. Making traditionalists angry is fun.

He doesn't realize that by responding to your comment with some witty insult he is no different from the progressives he mocks :D and the only thing that this reveals is that we ALL get a our panties in a bunch over something.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1