Carolina Crown: The future of DCI, or just a bad era like disco?

Ray Fallon,

Thank you for posting your response to my entry above with class; I do appreciate it. Also, I am very sincere in what I believe and write on here and if I ever grate on anyone's nerves it is wholly unintentional. I also admire what George Hopkins did to bring The Holy Name Garfield Cadets of Bergen County from the competitive abyss to the top of the game. That was not easy. However, there is an asymptote drum corps must not approach in order to stay unique -- and on the other side of that vertical limit is where BOA and WGI live. That's not where I believe DCI needs to be because, as I see it, drum corps' uniqueness is what makes it special.

Like you, I fear for the future and I understand change can be good. However, change for change's sake can lead to more detriment than benefit. I know there are less corps, less competitions, and smaller audiences than there were decades ago. I get that -- and I'm not sure how to grow the fan base but I do know this: Making drum corps look like other musical genres will not make for more fans wanting to see what it's all about.

John

• Like 2

A couple quick follow up comments:

-Obviously, I don't claim to speak for everyone. These are my opinions and nothing more. No one should have to qualify every statement they make with pointing that out. Yes, it's blunt and meant to incite conversation. No one need to get indignant or offended here.

-We all know Crown is is good...I'm speaking purely from a production standpoint.

-Everything I've listed in my original post is stuff I've seen in shows this year and last year. I'm not using hyperbole.

• Like 1

In my opinion there's a simple rule that guides the Universe, Supply and Demand. When DCI, or Drum Corps in general, fails to appeal to a market that can support it change will come, hopefully in time to make changes but that's true of every business (General Motors, United Airlines, you name it - fail to adapt and you whither).

Try that the businesses you list withered because they failed to respond to external changes in their markets, but the changes we have seen in DCI is being driven by internal forces, generally presented as more artistic freedom. I note however that some of my all-time favorite shows, 77 & 87 Garfield, 76 & 86 BD, 1980 27 Lancers were able to manage quite well without all the expensive equipment that now seems to be required.

• Like 1

I actually agree with you, and i started getting involved with drum corps in 1978. The casual, one time audience member is the future of Drum Corps. In the end, drum corps has to be run as a business, or it will die. The hard core drum corps fan base that will travel to multiple cities is not big enough to support it at this level, so the local casual high school/college/community band member/musician, and their extended social circle, is the group that should be catered to. And when a casual local band member/musician goes to a drum corps show, and sees the same thing they were doing in high school/college band, then why would they want to come to a drum corps show. More importantly, why would they consider joining a corps, if they can get the same experience at home?

I do pine/miss older drum and bugle corps (corps like Northstar, 27th lancers, Bridgemen, etc. Were so much fun to watch, and I still want to shed a tear for those days.) But todays economics is saying that drum corps has to compete with a lot more other things, or it will die.

That being said, I dont like Crown's show this year, and the trampolines add nothing to the show. (Like i said, I started in 1978.) I do love Blue Devils this year, however.

Not the answer you would expect from a 63 year old who marched in the '60s, but YES, I do like what Carolina Crown is doing now. It's beyond entertaining for today's audiences. Even unpredictable, for anyone paying for a ticket ONCE per year. To me, that's the key. DCI does better if local shows pack 'em in, make money for host partners, no matter who comes through the gate. Bringing casual viewers to their feet, screaming in approval. All done with enough skills to wow the purist aficionado.

I cringe when I hear someone describe a corps' show like this, "They were good, but I guess I just have to see it a few more times." Too bad. A strong, primarily local audience will mostly be giving you just one chance to make the sale. Thrill them, not bore them, and never confuse them. They want a spectacle for their money, and they don't want to work to find it.

I would take ANYONE to see Carolina Crown right now. Maximum 'bang' for their buck, no doubt in my mind. With so many entertainment options these days, corps can no longer choose to push the envelope. It's a must!

Edited by cdm
  • Like 1

I think I remember seeing amplified vibraphones on the field in the late 70's - early 80's. They had to have their own power source, if I remember correctly.

Anyone know for sure if this is true?

I think they deserve the right to do what ever they want!

I don't have to like it. They don't have annoying narration so that is a big plus for me. If you like cheesy over done productions that is great. This corps is for you. I love the music they play i just don't like the shmaltzy way they go about it.

I look at them as the super bowl commercial of DCI. I just do not like commercials.

I actually see similarity here to when traditional County Music began to skew closer toward Rock Music. I must say, DCI this year features SEVERAL corps, besides Crown, that have universal appeal. I'm very excited by that, and hope it's not just a one-year aberration.

Good point about country. All I hear is rock music with a twangy voice over and lots of telecaster tone. Otherwise it's just rock music. I love a good country instrumental song.

• Like 1

As a aside, I love pure western music (Ghost riders in the sky, etc.) And Troopers will always be one of my favorite corps

I think I remember seeing amplified vibraphones on the field in the late 70's - early 80's. They had to have their own power source, if I remember correctly.

Anyone know for sure if this is true?

They were allowed a self contained motor/battery unit for making the vibes vibrate. Amplification was specifically prohibited - the Founding Fathers of DCI firmly believed that any amplification had to be powered by the performers.

• Like 2