Lack of "wow" drill moves

My son has lost about 20 pounds this summer doing that show, so they are definitely not posing and shredding on tables:-;

I have a former student who's marching in the Blue Devils this summer. He posts pictures on facebook all the time from his summer on tour. I messaged him a week or so ago saying I could barely recognize him. He's lost a whole lotta weight. I don't know if it's 20 pounds, but it's considerable. My jaw dropped when I saw him. Just saying, all of this stuff is relative. Every single kid out there is busting it this summer (and every summer). Every show has its moments of considerable demand. And every show has its moments when the demand is not so strenuous. And as many have pointed out, sometimes demand is mistakingly thought of only as what LOOKS to be the most difficult thing. Which is not to say those moments are easy, but it can often be too simplistic a way of evaluating demand. There's more to it than just that. Many brass players, for example, could probably tell you that playing whole notes at pianissimo after running your butt off at the end of the opener is sometimes more challenging than the running part. Both are difficult, yet one LOOKS a whole lot more difficult than the other. I think we can all agree, however, these kids are freaking AMAZING. All of them! :smile:

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 1

The daringly fast block movement to the corner in this years Boston show. Unfortunately it has been taken out and watered down to a scatter drill. And YES a scatter drill from one set another isn't demanding. I am not insulting BC because they still have the most daring and demanding show of the year I and love it.

Edited by bluesman

Speaking of the BD trumpet fanfare, I think Crown's high brass fanfare at the end of the ripple section blows it away. It's so much more direct and truly "holy ****" loud. It's become the highlight of the show for me.

I agree. The Jupiter ending is such a WOW moment, but it's lost (compared to BD's trumpet fanfare), because people miss the switch, and they're standing backfield. I believe BD's trumpet fanfare is just mellos switching. Crown has all low brass playing trumpet.

There are only so many drill moves that can created. We may have actually used every last one of them. (Just sayin)

I think I heard that before. It appeared that after so many variations of form floats, rotating blocks and expanding arcs that all possible drill moves had been created. That was in 1982. Then the next year..........

Edited by bluesman

The daringly fast block movement to the corner in this years Boston show. Unfortunately it has been taken out and watered down to a scatter drill. And YES a scatter drill from one set another isn't demanding. I am not insulting BC because they still have the most daring and demanding show of the year I and love it.

I'm willing to bet they took it out because the feet were all over the place. Had they left it in and cleaned it, THAT would be impressive. Blocks like that, while not "wow" drill moves, are always impressive to me when they're clean.

I'll gladly trade a few "wow" drill moves in exchange for more "wow" sound!

• Like 1