The Most Ideal Finals Order - Drama Maxed Out!

As it stands right now, the Cadets and BD most likely will be the last two if not two out of three to perform on Finals Night. Having been to a few shows this year, I have noticed the crowd sit on their hands for Cadets and although a bit better this year, BD as well. I think it has more to do with the fact they followed both Crown and Bluecoats. Here is what I would like to see happen from a GE for the fans:

I feel Crown should go on last to defend their title, prior to them do either a poll or a draw for the other placement. I was there in 1988 and the draw helped propel Madison to the top, I do not care what anybody says. If it were up to me, the top 6 would go Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Cadets, SCV, Bluecoats and then Crown.

Like a great movie, you do want the climax to be in the middle, Crown and Bluecoats come Finals will be the crowd favorites by far, so end the competition on high energy and I feel it might even help BD and The Cadets with the crowd because the highest crowd impacts will not have happened if they went on before those two shows.

Edited by ohbaby

This would be a fun way to set the order. Placements might change, but they could also stay the same.

I think BD and Cadets are more entertaining than people here on DCP give them credit. The Cadets show isn't designed to get massive, wild, shouting, standing Os. It's a historic look at great presidents that lead our nation during some difficult times, and it celebrates our past presidents of a free nation. The show contains great music and beautiful drill. BD is doing a show on one of the great film makers, and their style of tribute is fast-paced and varied, so much so that the audience can enjoy the mastery, color, and wonderful music that encapsulates the mood so well...but the massive cheers aspect, as with Cadets, isn't the strongest.

As much as I like your idea and would not be opposed to it, I do think we as fans have to remember that placements and entertainment cannot, and should not, be thrown into the same jar when it comes to order of performance and/or determining the quality of a show. Some of the worst performed shows get great fan reaction. Doesn't mean I want to see them score high.

Also, BD and Cadets have worked hard for this all season. Finals seeding is a reward for the entire summer, not a coin flip or a fan's gut reaction that a more entertaining show should get to perform last, no matter how good their reasoning. Why have the season if we're not going to reward the best performers?

• Like 4

Like a great movie, you do want the climax to be in the middle,

I prefer a great sporting event, with the two best teams in the game separated by two-points in the final seconds, and just enough time for the team behind to squeeze off one or two plays in their effort to win.

And actually, no. No good film tries to put its dramatic climax in the middle. It generally gets reached in the final reel, followed by the denouement, which, for drum corps purposes, is Finale.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

As it stands right now, the Cadets and BD most likely will be the last two if not two out of three to perform on Finals Night. Having been to a few shows this year, I have noticed the crowd sit on their hands for Cadets and although a bit better this year, BD as well. I think it has more to do with the fact they followed both Crown and Bluecoats. Here is what I would like to see happen from a GE for the fans:

I feel Crown should go on last to defend their title, prior to them do either a poll or a draw for the other placement. I was there in 1988 and the draw helped propel Madison to the top, I do not care what anybody says. If it were up to me, the top 6 would go Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Cadets, SCV, Bluecoats and then Crown.

Like a great movie, you do want the climax to be in the middle, Crown and Bluecoats come Finals will be the crowd favorites by far, so end the competition on high energy and I feel it might even help BD and The Cadets with the crowd because the highest crowd impacts will not have happened if they went on before those two shows.

I would really like for this to happen but it's not fair to BD and Cadets. Maybe they should do a random grouping system similar to Regionals. That would give Bloo a 33% of performing last.

• Like 1

Horrible idea. They tried this in 1988 and it didn't end well (except for Madison, lol). In general, I agree that the defending champ should perform last if they wish. It was that way for a long time, but they've done away with that practice. To change it back now would be a slap in the face to all the groups that are earning their way into the late slots...not to mention 2012 Blue Devils. But I get that y'all are Crown fans. ;)

Edited by BDCorno

I think BD and Cadets are more entertaining than people here on DCP give them credit. The Cadets show isn't designed to get massive, wild, shouting, standing Os. It's a historic look at great presidents that lead our nation during some difficult times, and it celebrates our past presidents of a free nation. The show contains great music and beautiful drill. BD is doing a show on one of the great film makers, and their style of tribute is fast-paced and varied, so much so that the audience can enjoy the mastery, color, and wonderful music that encapsulates the mood so well...but the massive cheers aspect, as with Cadets, isn't the strongest.

Excellent points. Not every show is geared to have everyone throwing babies. In fact, OP's opinion seems to indicate that they find SCV more entertaining than Cadets or BD...which is interesting because they have a soft ending. Bottom line, DCI is NOT producing a movie. Each show should stand on its own, and shouldn't be penalized if their show doesn't meet some arbitrary "thrill up your leg" criteria. Honestly, I like all of the top five shows, each unique in their own way. As outstanding as Crown and Bluecoats are, I don't find either of their endings much more or less exciting than what BD has right now (and it will likely get better). I enjoy them all. Let the kids be rewarded, based on the system that decides who wins.

Excellent points. Not every show is geared to have everyone throwing babies. In fact, OP's opinion seems to indicate that they find SCV more entertaining than Cadets or BD...which is interesting because they have a soft ending. Bottom line, DCI is NOT producing a movie. Each show should stand on its own, and shouldn't be penalized if their show doesn't meet some arbitrary "thrill up your leg" criteria. Honestly, I like all of the top five shows, each unique in their own way. As outstanding as Crown and Bluecoats are, I don't find either of their endings much more or less exciting than what BD has right now (and it will likely get better). I enjoy them all. Let the kids be rewarded, based on the system that decides who wins.

In fact, I'm enjoying BD's ending more right now than Crown's.

• Like 1

I'll probably get kicked off DCP for saying this but... this is something BOA does better. Yes, Grand Nationals is a random pre-draw, but every regional final is bottom half (in random order) then top half (in random order). I'd be fine if DCI did the same: The first six corps to perform at Finals are the 7th-12th place Semifinalists in random order, and the last six corps to perform are the 1st-6th place Semifinalists in random order.

• Like 3

I'll probably get kicked off DCP for saying this but... this is something BOA does better. Yes, Grand Nationals is a random pre-draw, but every regional final is bottom half (in random order) then top half (in random order). I'd be fine if DCI did the same: The first six corps to perform at Finals are the 7th-12th place Semifinalists in random order, and the last six corps to perform are the 1st-6th place Semifinalists in random order.

It would be great if they implemented that. It would add some excitement to Indy.

• Like 1

Each show should stand on its own, and shouldn't be penalized if their show doesn't meet some arbitrary "thrill up your leg" criteria.

Aren't all criteria used in judging the arts, at their base, arbitrary? Is there any aesthetic claim that can be made that someone can't reasonably disagree with?

• Like 1