I'm confident that actual drum-corps executives, who have actual experience paying the bills, have already done the math on this and have reached sensible conclusions why it makes more financial sense to stick to a Midwest/East schedule than to go West. I'm not here expecting the scales to fall from anyone's eyes. I'm just offering a back-of-the-envelope rationale for going West. It's fun to think about.

You know, sometimes you have to think out of the box, and into the future. There are a lot of fans on the west coast, probably more than on the East coast. Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego has a population of close to 15 million people all within 120 miles or so. Can anyone name a midwestern region with that kind of population density in such close proximity? It would not hurt DCI to have finals in California every 3-4 years, as a matter of fact it would help them in the long run. 3-4 years is plenty of time for the east and the midwest corps to get financially ready for the trip.

• Like 1

You know, sometimes you have to think out of the box, and into the future. There are a lot of fans on the west coast, probably more than on the East coast. Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego has a population of close to 15 million people all within 120 miles or so. Can anyone name a midwestern region with that kind of population density in such close proximity? It would not hurt DCI to have finals in California every 3-4 years, as a matter of fact it would help them in the long run. 3-4 years is plenty of time for the east and the midwest corps to get financially ready for the trip.

Yes, the Midwest and the East coast have large population densities within their driving distances too. The Indianapolis metropolitan area is part of the Great Lakes Megalopolis, which contains an estimated 54 million people; if you add the populations of only Chicago, Indy, Columbus, Cincy, Louisville you easily get 17 million people ( ignoring the surrounding cities that are a little smaller); not that everyone is going to be interested in DCI, but the area is the marching arts capital of the US . I think that's the wrong approach to support a West coast argument. West coaster should learn more about fly over country... :silly:

Similarly, the Northeast megalopolis (aka Boston-Washington Corridor) is very urbanized and has a population of around 49.6 people.

The Southern California megaregion (aka SoCal) has about 22 million people, and NorCal has about 14.5 million people, but then we're comparing much of the West coast population to just part of the Great Lakes' region.

I think that population is the wrong approach to try and used in order to support a West coast argument. West coaster should learn more about fly over country... :silly:

For DCI, the West coast has weather and novelty going for it. That's about it. It's more expensive here ( on the West coast) and the stadiums won't be free. Most of the corps would have to travel, though California has TONS of corps these days that would have to travel back here after being East.

Still I'd like to have finals here again, or something big out here at the end of the season.