So, corps from the coasts would be glad to travel to the Heartland where things are cheaper, yes?

Why, again, then are we talking about going to CA where gas is so expensive?

I'm corn-fused.

There is that initial getting away from the coasts thing to contend with too.

California has the promise of a record number of fans ( many of which haven't and won't go to Indy) and no rain. A lot of people also seem to like to vacation there too, so it could be seen as respite from Indy every once in a while. I'm sure Indy is a lot cheaper though.

You're right 2much. I was thinking along those lines too.

I'm was also thinking about the logistic for the corps regarding the complete summer tour and how they would probably want the "tour" to end up in California ( or Oregon or Washington) for finals. They'd have to find show sites along the way and eventually they'd butt up against the rising gas prices just West of Missouri ( who has probably the lowest gas prices in the country). There are more corps East of the Mississippi who may resists these additional costs.

Something to offset that could be having more late season shows than normal spread through-out the West and structure them so that they draw more locals over a longer period of time. Have two top 5 corps there, two bottom 7 corps there, and 3 other corps and spread them around the region for more than 1 show. If finals are in Pasadena again, have 2 late season shows in Washington and Oregon, a late season show in Eureka, 2 late season bay area shows, 2 late season SoCal shows, and maybe a late season Vegas show ( in addition to the early season Phoenix show). These could go to all the corps to help defray the increased gas prices.

I dunno, I haven't tried to cost it out, but it seems like there's a pretty big demand for corps shows in the region that is never going to travel to Indy.

The logistics can definitely be worked out - in 2007, they adjusted the regionals and added late-season shows on the West coast like you suggest.

I'd love to West Coast Finals happen. Today it can't, for all the good reasons people have said. If it ever does happen, it will be a very good thing because it means that

- Finances are good enough that DCI doesn't need the almost-free stadium in Indy

- Inter-corps relations are good enough that DCI can help lower-budget groups make it to the west coast

Most of the lower-budget WC corps already are on the west coast.

Pioneer is in Milwaukee. A trip to San Francisco is no longer than a swing through San Antonio to Atlanta.

Jersey Surf? Yeah. It would be a haul. But there are several corps on the other coast -- Oregon, Mandarins, Pac Crest -- that make the haul the other way already.

The logistics can definitely be worked out - in 2007, they adjusted the regionals and added late-season shows on the West coast like you suggest.

I'd love to West Coast Finals happen. Today it can't, for all the good reasons people have said. If it ever does happen, it will be a very good thing because it means that

- Finances are good enough that DCI doesn't need the almost-free stadium in Indy

- Inter-corps relations are good enough that DCI can help lower-budget groups make it to the west coast

I agree. The Indy deal trumps most everything. The gas prices can be worked out. I wonder how difficult housing is in California. Seems like there are housing deals in Indy.

There are just a LOT of other issues to consider.

I still think there should be a second TOC tour out West after finals. That was something special. Just throw the West coasters a bone.

All this talk of late season and/or finals week shows out west is brightening my weather spirits. Thanks westies. Very solid arguments are being raised here. Maybe someday...

In the meantime, fingers are crossed for weather gods to smile down on Allentown, especially day 1.

Edited by luv4corps

I had fun in 2007 and would attend every few year in west if they moved it around

Often, the whining from California fans chaffs my hide as their fans seem to be the worst offenders of 'only the top drum corps matter, I’ll stay in the lot until SCV'.

They have a good core of corps, many over looked and discounted.

You want a better scene, treat your other corps better and they'll get better and be better

Otherwise, I’ll trade you a Chicago winter for a Southern California winter as part of the show swaps

I agree. The Indy deal trumps most everything. The gas prices can be worked out. I wonder how difficult housing is in California. Seems like there are housing deals in Indy.

There are just a LOT of other issues to consider.

I still think there should be a second TOC tour out West after finals. That was something special. Just throw the West coasters a bone.

Like in 2004 with San Jose, Pasadena and Cupertino.

• Like 1

Since we're talking about potential places to host Finals, has anyone thought about The Big House at U of Michigan in Ann Arbor?

Its capacity is 110,000 people. Largest capacity stadium in the entire U.S.A. It is also the 3rd largest stadium in the entire world.

From the 25 to 25, on just one side of the stadium, you could fit around 20,000-25,000 people.

Lucas Oil has a capacity of about 65,000, but with the way the seats are set up, You can probably only get about 10,000 between the 25s.

Lower the ticket prices a little bit to sell the seats.

Ann Arbor is a great town, and music & arts is pretty popular.

Anyone else down for this?

Edited by BoyWonder1911

Since we're talking about potential places to host Finals, has anyone thought about The Big House at U of Michigan in Ann Arbor?

No way, no how.

Michigan Stadium is a disaster. Parking is a disaster. Ann Arbor infrastructure is a terrible disaster.

--

There is more to where to host Finals than what stadium sounds best or is closer to "more fans."

Like it or not, Indianapolis is THE PERFECT place for finals.

• Solid corps housing and rehearsal space, for those who don't stay in hotels
  • Nice weather
  • Plenty of reasonably priced hotel rooms that are ALL within walking distance to the event.
  • Tons of great bars and restaurants that are all very supportive of the event.
  • Decent airport, close to the action
  • The fact that Finals has been there for so many years makes it less difficult and more cost effective for DCI to put on such an event
  • St Elmo's shrimp cocktail