top corps in 6-10 years predictions

Cue Brasso and his "Cadevaliers" post.

came here looking for one actually. I was betting it only took 5 responses before I saw one... Not sure if i'm happy or not for being wrong...

I suspect that Oregon crusaders will become a finalist corps in a few years

I was wondering if the top corps from today would be switched with the non-high scoring groups....

depends on what names are pulled during the slotting meeting

I was wondering if the top corps from today would be switched with the non-high scoring groups....

Let's see now...Since 1972 thru 2013....These 24 corps have been in top 6...

Blue Devils - 39 Times

Santa Clara Vanguard - 36 Times

The Cadets - 32 Times

Phantom Regiment - 31 Times

The Cavaliers - 26 Times

Madison Scouts - 23 Times

27th Lancers - 8 Times

Carolina Crown - 7 Times
Bluecoats - 7 Times
Star of Indiana - 5 Times
Spirit of Atlanta - 5 Times
Bridgemen - 5 Times
Blue Stars - 4 Times
Troopers - 3 Times
Kingsmen - 3 Times
Suncoast Sound - 3 Times
Boston Crusaders - 3 Times
Glassmen - 3 Times
Kilties - 2 Times
Crossmen - 2 Times
Argonne Rebels - 1 Time
Muchachos - 1 Time
Blue Knights - 1 Time
Oakland Cruaders - 1 Time

* Current roster of World Class highlighted

• Like 1

Let's see now...Since 1972 thru 2013....These 24 corps have been in top 6...

Blue Devils - 39 Times

Santa Clara Vanguard - 36 Times

The Cadets - 32 Times

Phantom Regiment - 31 Times

The Cavaliers - 26 Times

Madison Scouts - 23 Times

27th Lancers - 8 Times

Carolina Crown - 7 Times
Bluecoats - 7 Times
Star of Indiana - 5 Times
Spirit of Atlanta - 5 Times
Bridgemen - 5 Times
Blue Stars - 4 Times
Troopers - 3 Times
Kingsmen - 3 Times
Suncoast Sound - 3 Times
Boston Crusaders - 3 Times
Glassmen - 3 Times
Kilties - 2 Times
Crossmen - 2 Times
Argonne Rebels - 1 Time
Muchachos - 1 Time
Blue Knights - 1 Time
Oakland Cruaders - 1 Time

* Current roster of World Class highlighted

It's interesting that of all the serious contenders for finalist spots, the Colts are the only one that isn't on this list, yet if you expand it to 9th place, then they are the only active corps that is then also added to this list. Heck, if you want to expand to all finalist positions, I believe (could be wrong, only did a quick search, not thorough) that then Cascades would be the only other active corps added. So to me, it seems that there is a strong correlation between placing in the single digits in finals and competitiveness for finals. Is there any wonder why the 13-17 range corps over the past 5 years or so have really started to become seriously competitive and its gotten harder to get into finals regularly at the bottom? It's tough to move up, but once you do move up, its hard to move down too far. Granted, you can move down some, but of all the corps that have made finals, only Cascades is the only one that isn't in the discussion for at least possibly making finals year in and year out.

Since the change to build-up scoring, the most competitive era was the late 80s & early 90s. Between 1988 and 1992, you had Madison, SCV, Cadets, Star & Cavaliers each winning a championship, with Blue Devils and Phantom Regiment also receiving medals during those years. So 7 "contenders" over 5 years.

A really low era of competitiveness was the 5 years from 1999-2003, where only 4 corps (Cavaliers, BD, Cadets & Vanguard) received medals over 5 years.

The current era is somewhere in between. In the 5 year period 2009-2013, BD, Cadets & Crown have won with Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Phantom taking medals. 6 contenders over 5 years.

The history suggests to me that the activity can't sustain too many more groups that are truly near the top - at some point you start running out of top tier staff and performers. The obvious next group that will receive a medal is SCV - they are good enough, they just need to find the right show in the right year. I can also imagine a group like Blue Knights or Boston growing itself to the point where they contend for a medal over the next 5 years - there are obvious similarities between where these groups are at today and where Crown/Bluecoats were in 2005 (5/6 years before their first medals).

Since the change to build-up scoring, the most competitive era was the late 80s & early 90s. Between 1988 and 1992, you had Madison, SCV, Cadets, Star & Cavaliers each winning a championship, with Blue Devils and Phantom Regiment also receiving medals during those years. So 7 "contenders" over 5 years.

A really low era of competitiveness was the 5 years from 1999-2003, where only 4 corps (Cavaliers, BD, Cadets & Vanguard) received medals over 5 years.

In the EIGHT years from 1997-2004 only those four corps received medals. For a five-year span (1998-2002), those four were the Top 4 (in some order) every year. It was almost a SEVEN year span, but Phantom edged SCV for 4th place by 0.05 in 2003.