Difficult/Effective Drill moves

What types of drill moves do you consider difficult or effective? Try to describe it in a general , give an example, and explain why you think they are difficult and or effective.

For example

The rotating float, when a form both does a rotation while moving across the field while holding constant spacing. This is hell to clean since each member has a different path that isn't constant throughout the move. like a 7/10 for difficulty, going up in larger forms, and a 8/10 for effectiveness.

Like BD does this year, even though people complain about how easy their drill is...

Edited by Reed
  • Like 1

I still think the move to beat is Garfield 1985 at the end of Jeremiah. The hornline forms a figure eight, and it inverts itself while the corps is playing so frenetically. Some of them are marching *backward* at 5-5. That's just sick! Almost nobody has the same step length, yet the intervals need to hold. George Zingali was obviously a sadist. :tounge2:

Honorable mention: I still can't see how nobody collided at the beginning of that show. That was literally 120 different "drills."

• Like 1

Reed: Examples?

BD does a large rotating straight line in their show.

Reed: Examples?

There are a handful of times where BD will come out of a free form, role-playing type move into a set and it pops in very clean. I tend to think that many think it's easy because of the free form aspect, but the number of times it instantly moves into a crisp, clean form is amazing. Watch how they get into that front .... it's not quite blind, but they are not able to "clean" it the same way drill has always been cleaned. I think that's where they're getting credit.

• Like 1

By far the easiest drill move is contrary motion, a 1 on the difficulty scale. Its visual effectiveness is a 10/10 because to the audience it appears as if the speed of the marchers in the line doubles. It is a follow-the-leader drill, easy to teach, easy to clean.

Open your fingers on both hands, then point them at each other, fingers almost touching. Then march your ranks towards and past each other. Look for it, almost every corps uses it. :smile: