Crowdsourcing show design

Interesting...but shouldn't you be addressing your concerns about show design to the corps at the bottom? The designers for those

consistently near the top (ie The Cadets) seem to be doing alright.

Some of the "bottom" shows this year are actually pretty well designed, like The Academy and imo Oregon Crusaders. I really enjoy them much more than the Cadets this year even though they don't have the mastery level as the Cadets, whose show I find long-winded and boring despite their mastery and skill. Looking at completeness of theme and design, the Colts show is one of the best. It is one of the only ones that draws me in emotionally and keeps me interested. It seems to go by too fast while others seem to drag on forever.

Great idea. I think Ballet choreographers should crowd source ideas for their work as well. I mean, the professional choreographer can't POSSIBLY be more creative than his/her fans can they?

Give me a break.

we've become such an all inclusive society. from reality TV to text voting, etc etc. gone are the days of the spectator I suppose. or at least some would like it that way...For me , If I go to a Broadway Show, I pay to be entertained ( subjective before anyone says anything ) I dont pay to work at something. I also want the best of the best presented to me , not arm chair direction of that show. But that's me. JMO

Edited by GUARDLING

Not sure if this is the right topic but I've been pondering this in my head all summer, what is the point at which design turns from a corps' signature to stagnant design? I believe a corps can retain certain style based upon their history, previous productions, and overall image presented. However, this can be done without the mentality of 'if it has worked before, it'll work again' and generating shows that are almost cut and paste of years past. Point in case, Crown has started every year's production with a slowly growing pre-show featuring rippling weapon tosses and a long linear impact hit since 2009. I find this a little annoying and would like to see some new programming ideas for the design's pacing and development. Additionally, it is known that crown will end the show in a crown formation. We come to expect it and get tickled when it is done in a manner that surprises or enthralls the audience due to sheer entertainment, this is something I enjoy and find as a signature. I read on here earlier where they said this years show seems like all the stuff they couldn't fit in 2013. Another example is Spirit of Atlanta's current show. This is the first production from them since 2010 (a show that I really liked and was highly underrated) that didn't have the black and white, broadway, vintage feel. Their shows from 2011-2013, while enjoyable, bleed together in my mind that I had to reference corpsreps. I understand that this year was a major staff turnover and really hope they don't get stuck in a rut with program design in the future. Maybe outsourcing would allow for an increase in novelty and bring a breath of fresh air to some corps?

we've become such an all inclusive society. from reality TV to text voting, etc etc. gone are the days of the spectator I suppose. or at least some would like it that way...For me , If I go to a Broadway Show, I pay to be entertained ( subjective before anyone says anything ) I dont pay to work at something. I also want the best of the best presented to me , not arm chair direction of that show. But that's me. JMO

I just get tired of the notion that the public knows better than the artist, or that the patient knows better than the doctor etc. Its a symptom of the information age. Everyone thinks because you can google something, that they can be as informed as a professional in a particular field. Its the height of arrogance.

• Like 2

I just get tired of the notion that the public knows better than the artist, or that the patient knows better than the doctor etc. Its a symptom of the information age. Everyone thinks because you can google something, that they can be as informed as a professional in a particular field. Its the height of arrogance.

Sigh...such is the way for any creative field, not just currently. "Can we make the logo bigger?" "Oh, I got a new camera, so that means I'm a photographer!" etc. etc. etc.

All this to say that I'm not completely opposed to a crowd-sourced show. But that corps better be ready for some unpredictable scores lol.

Edited by c.l.

I am only referring to the initial show concept, not involving "the crowd" through the entire design process. That wouldn't be insanely complicated, just vastly expand the number of somewhat worked-out concepts that the corps design team considers.

Which Cadets show was crowdsourced recently?

2013, "Side by Side". The staff had the concept down, but they wanted crowd input for their musical selections, so they started a contest via email submission. Eventually, they settled on utilizing the music of Samuel Barber, and ended up winning Best Overall Music that year.

Sigh...such is the way for any creative field, not just currently. "Can we make the logo bigger?" "Oh, I got a new camera, so that means I'm a photographer!" etc. etc. etc.

All this to say that I'm not completely opposed to a crowd-sourced show. But that corps better be ready for some unpredictable scores lol.

that is very true..although many will say OH EVERYONE I KNOW likes or dislikes this or that or MAJORITY SAYS this or that, none of that is true , its only the small groups of opinions. Again I will say what happened to the spectator who didnt analyze everything, find better ways of doing everything. I'm not disrespecting those who have experience or knowledge BUT will say ( example ) i brought a friend of mine back in the loop after many years and got them a teaching job...he was great and very knowledgeable, definitely has his likes and dislikes which is fine, totally not flexible to anything of today ( which surprised me because they used to be totally different ) needless to say it didn't end good. This had nothing to do with age, experience, knowledge and everything to do with flexibility and a willingness to STILL CONTINUE to learn. Now imagine this with ideas as well as soccer , band and dance Mom...OIE VEY.....lol..no thanks...throwing it out there like Cadets did is fine but that's it IMO

If one wants to turn the activity into a fan fav. activity then fine, get rid of judges, all judging and just put shows on, anything other than that would not be very good even in a small form...JMO

I know it wont be popular BUT I totally agree . Doesn't mean there aren't knowledgeable people out there. Many self appointed experts for sure BUT many do have knowledge BUT who has the time to sift through all that....lol

Funny thing is , and I know many like this, alot of it comes from not just those in the know but many who were almost NEVER in the know...lol... crazy to me

easy to design a show from behind a computer, go out and do it ..totally different. Sometimes I get some very young students in winter ( 15 or 16 ) they come to me with ideas etc etc, I do listen politely with most but then theres those few who never marched or very little, bad skills, BUT say " I have all these ideas and need to design for someone"...lol..I respond with" How about learning something 1st...lol...doesnt always work and usually they fade away. Sometimes they don't ad is a constant challenge. I try to explain...go if thats what you need to do, go get a job with all that experience, some have and failed most finally shut up for a while. I try to explain, we all have our jobs, lets do our own job before we try to tell others thir jobs..

it's very easy, even here to see who has been possibly told this in their past...very easy.......

Oh Well, just the nature of the beast I guess, maybe it's always been this way to a point but way more now, but the world is kinda like that now also....jmo

Edited by GUARDLING