2015 Predictions

Nothing is handed to you however.. You've got to earn it.

Oh, I agree.

Unless you're the Blue Devils. :-p LOL!

Just kidding, of course.

In all seriousness, I do believe that Santa Clara has the ability to top Blue Devils this year. :) This is an incredible Corps! :)

Oh, I agree.

Unless you're the Blue Devils. :-p LOL!

Just kidding, of course.

In all seriousness, I do believe that Santa Clara has the ability to top Blue Devils this year. :) This is an incredible Corps! :)

I've really only seen SCV briefly, one time last week on the live stream, but not the real " live ". So I 'll withhold assessment till I see them a few times as they come further east. I have said BD is not unbeatable this season ( as I thought they were last season ). BD won't go quietly into the nite. They still could win it all, and just might.. but I sense a more vulnerable BD Corps this season so far.

• Like 1

What was the best show last year then?

"Out of this World", followed by "Tilt", with "Felliniesque" in third. My tastes aren't the same as the judges', though.

It's all on the business side of things. Fundraising/bingo operations would not work here. Gambling is illegal, except the state run lottery, horse and dog racing. So, benefiting from bingo would be a no. Truth be told, band/marching arts are very, very popular and über-competitive at every level in Texas, but funding/conservative corporate support make for challenges.

I believe the Alley Theater in Houston is wrapping up a $50+ million capital fundraising drive. So non-profits clearly can find financial support there.

The "Rite" is one of my favorite works; love that piece. BD would have been better off playing the orchestral piece and leaving the jazz out of it. And don't get me started on the Burt Bacharach year.

As I recall, skywhopper had some interesting posts about how BD '13 didn't use enough of the Darryl Brenzel "Rewrite of Spring" jazz version.

Actually born and raised in San Antonio, and the heat is mostly exaggerated. Does it get hot? Yeah, is Satan popping out of the bushes because of the heat? Nah.

Can't resist dropping in an 1866 quote from U.S. Gen. Philip Sheridan:

"If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent Texas and live in Hell".

I believe the Alley Theater in Houston is wrapping up a $50+ million capital fundraising drive. So non-profits clearly can find financial support there.

True, but how long was the fundraiser for- Who headed it? That's been the issue... Corps directors that are business savvy and have marketing skills to reach the masses are few and far between. Our state is very finicky.... They'll support the arts in school, but outside? The San Antonio symphony has come close to folding in the near past. It depends upon what the fundraiser is and the name of the person behind it.

I like taking this mid-season prediction risk prior to knowing this weekend's results.

1. Cadets- just do marching and playing and spinning too #### well, the opitome of the traditional artform

2. Bluecoats- amazing, not sure everyone knows how to read or reward it, will be a historic milestone

3. BD- getting a bit tired of the formula (this was hard for me to type)

4. SCV- incredible, but simply bested by slighty more incredible groups

5. Crown- a crowd favorite, like SCV, bested by slighty more incredible groups

6. BK- major strides last few years, their own brand, wonderful show journey through time in a way no one lese compares

7. Cavies- so much better, brass depth still not there yet and show theme never quite jells

8. Phantom- too old school, but entertaining and different, not enough risk, plus too narrow of an audience

9. Blue Stars- pull it together with a stand out approach to design, drums smokin'

10. Boston- solve some banner destraction issues, not all, more mature design than Crossmen and Madison

11. Crossmen- get their feet better and show more design sophistication than Scouts

12. Madison- way too old school and boring for many, brass and percussion captions help keep them in

13. Troopers- so close, better GE and communication than Crossmen or Madison, not quite the talent to push in (yet)

14. Colts- visual design takes them here, narration again an issue for some GE judges, best 14th place corps ever

15. The Academy- too entertaining and fresh to put lower, show well constructed and logical

16. Pacific Crest- show well constructed and have a few wow moments better than corps 11-15.

17. OC- slow and steady all summer, with an intellignet package and smart writing, really close to 15th and 16th

18. Mandarins- Solid design and strong percussion, show makes sense and electronics smartly used

19. SOA- though more talented in brass than last year, design has more flaws than the 6 corps below them

20. SCV Cadets- think this show and the talent better than BDB even now, smart writing, clean

21. BDB- less depth than SCVC catches up to them eventually

22. Cascades- really smart show, would beat SOA if they had their talent

23. Genesis- the new kid on the block that may should finish higher, clean and accessible

24. Jersey Surf- accessible but not silly anniversary show, pretty even in all captions

25. ?

Cavies brass...no depth???....do you have ears...wait...are you a musician? Guess not! Top 5 hornline by the end!

I hope BD wins as part 2 of their 3 peat.

Cadets and Crown could very well defeat them. Very good shows! (much respect)

SCV/Bloo who knows? They could be in there also.

Bottom line is this year has a great group top to bottom!

I'm looking for BAC and Bluestars to move up! BK could be the big upsetter! who will they knock off?