Staff merrigoround

Would you not say that they also survived a much greater loss (in some people's minds) when Rennick left and somehow, they survived and now have Mr. Kuhn?

Life goes on. Everyone can be replaced.

And went from a Sanford contender to 8th-9th. Depends on what you mean by survive and if there is even a need to bring something of that polarity up?

And went from a Sanford contender to 8th-9th. Depends on what you mean by survive and if there is even a need to bring something of that polarity up?

They heavens did not open up and swallow Phantom Regiment into the abyss. Gee, some people predicted that when Rennick left.

And when Shaw left.

And others.

JT left after 2007 (the first time). Nick S was then made drill designer in 2008.

They won that year.

And let's play "how much of his original drill ended up on the field Finals night?" Next to none. Most of his original drill was rewritten during camp and then redone by Tony Hall.

And let's play "how much of his original drill ended up on the field Finals night?" Next to none. Most of his original drill was rewritten during camp and then redone by Tony Hall.

And they won.

JT leaving after 2007 did not prevent them from winning.

In fact, it was the first time in their entire history that they won outright and it was after the same drill designer leaving the first time.

And they won.

In fact, it was the first time in their entire history that they won outright and it was after the same drill designer leaving the first time.

Don't restructure your argument now. JT did leave. Nick S. did come in as drill designer, but it was not his drill that won. Let's not forget to credit the rest of the design that made it possible for winning (esp. the Rennicks!). That was a totally different situation to compare to this one and are not comparable. Survive, yes. Compete for a championship without the high caliber music, viz, and guard staff? No way.

Hell, they were lucky to field a corps. They had to fold and restructure after the '07 season.

Edited by chaos001

Don't restructure your argument now. JT did leave. Nick S. did come in as drill designer, but it was not his drill that won. Let's not forget to credit the rest of the design that made it possible for winning (esp. the Rennicks!). That was a totally different situation to compare to this one and are not comparable. Survive, yes. Compete for a championship without the high caliber music, viz, and guard staff? No way.

Really? Really? Really?

And they won.

Lincoln, I really think you're missing the larger point: when Phantom Regiment gets great designers (people who propel them up the ranks, higher than what I've argued is their average of 5th place), they end up moving on, typically because they aren't happy.

You can say "life goes on." This is no doubt true. The sun came up this morning with Jamey Thompson not being involved with Phantom Regiment.

But there's a bigger looming issue: something about the organization (many have said that it's a particular individual) that makes high competent people not want to hang around. This staff may produce a great product next year that I'll enjoy and listen to forever, but this isn't the 2005-2007 staff. Nothing about this group makes me excited like I was back then. Luckily, Regiment doesn't make decisions with me in mind. But they should make decisions with their talented staff in mind.

You can say that Thompson left previously and they won a title without him. That is absolutely a true statement. However, I would argue that the corps won in spite of who wrote the drill that year (the same guy who laid a much bigger turd/egg in 2009). For what it's worth, I don't think Jeremy Hunt will be writing 2009esque Phantom Regiment drill - he's been around the block long enough to avoid that.

• Like 2