Staff merrigoround

Sorry if this has been stated but this is something I have wondered in the past....but in response to the earlier post about the BD team having the success they have year after year; when watching the BD members perform, they are by far across the board, (in my opinion) superior performers on an individual basis compared to most of the other World Class corps. Yes, many of the corps have some members that are equally skilled and have superior performance abilities, but outside of BD, I find the individual skill level begins to drop as you move down the DCI rankings.

I have wondered though how quickly the BD team could make another corps, outside of the top 6, a championship contender, consistently placing in the top 3-4 spots or even winning.

Would the skilled players flock to the corps they work with? Would we see a migration of members like we see when a drum caption head moves from one corps to another? Or would the staff take the approach of building up the group from within and helping each member become the superior performers we see today in the very top corps?

This may have been discussed at another time, but I did not catch it.

Crown should go after Tom Aungst - they'd be very unstoppable if acquired

I'll never understand why, when a percussion program is weak, everyone automatically starts naming old, retired guys to fill the spot. There are always uber-talented up-and-comers who would do fantastically in those spots (given a few years to build), and it would be a lot more interesting. I wasn't happy at all when Crown hired Hannum a few years ago, or Kuhn at Phantom... they could have given a new guy a chance to shine, but instead, it's just the G7 recycling the same few names over and over and over...

• Like 8

Sorry if this has been stated but this is something I have wondered in the past....but in response to the earlier post about the BD team having the success they have year after year; when watching the BD members perform, they are by far across the board, (in my opinion) superior performers on an individual basis compared to most of the other World Class corps. Yes, many of the corps have some members that are equally skilled and have superior performance abilities, but outside of BD, I find the individual skill level begins to drop as you move down the DCI rankings.

I have wondered though how quickly the BD team could make another corps, outside of the top 6, a championship contender, consistently placing in the top 3-4 spots or even winning.

Would the skilled players flock to the corps they work with? Would we see a migration of members like we see when a drum caption head moves from one corps to another? Or would the staff take the approach of building up the group from within and helping each member become the superior performers we see today in the very top corps?

This may have been discussed at another time, but I did not catch it.

It could be argued that BDB is that corps.

But even if they DID establish a separate 2nd organization and operate it under the same methods and philosophies as they have for the A, B, and C corps...and with a staff to match...I think you'd have a hard time seeing people flock there, because it would still not be BD.

The name and decades of success carries a lot of weight.

I wouldn't be surprised for design staff changes with Spirit of Atlanta and Madison Scouts. Both of those shows were less than stellar design.

Spirit of Atlanta is the Titanic and the Ice Berg is just ahead. They need to cut all the "AFBS" and get back to their Southern roots. There are currently some clueless Overseers of that musical Plantation.

I thought that's what Spirit was trying to do this past season, but I guess not. If they do go back to their roots, I'd like it to be done in a refreshing way that's not too reminiscent of the older shows.

That's what I thought they were doing as well in 2014.

I'll never understand why, when a percussion program is weak, everyone automatically starts naming old, retired guys to fill the spot. There are always uber-talented up-and-comers who would do fantastically in those spots (given a few years to build), they could have given a new guy a chance to shine, but instead, it's just the G7 recycling the same few names over and over and over...

When the current DCI judges are the same age, and experience of the same ol, same ol, 50 + year older staffers... and the DCI Judges have known these staffers for half a century in some cases, do you really believe it is future placement prudent and saavy to bring in a newbie that the established DCI Judging community doesn't have on speed dial or in their personal rolodex ? I mean really... lets understand the dynamics at play here, you know ? Lets understand the perfectly understandable WHYS behind the decisions that are made with these Corps regarding their staff hires to run things show wise. These G7 Corps arn't politically tone deaf when they go about making their staff hires to design their shows to be evaluated by their long time friends that are judging these shows.

Edited by BRASSO

Nah the Blue Stars' percussion situation is taken care of. I could see PR, since he marched under Kuhn at Cavies and lots of people aren't sold on PR's front ensemble writing.