Staff merrigoround

Crown could use some help, but probably at the tech level more than the book level. The book was serviceable this year (they've never been percussion-centric), but the glaring execution problems from the battery were what killed them in the caption.

Hoping for their sake that Madison had a next generation set of leaders ready for this type of major change, since there don't appear to be that many name-brand designers or caption heads in play this off-season (MacIntosh has already stated he's back at Cavaliers 2015 with his staff, so he's not in play).

I'm sure James Sparling will be taking over. He's been writing part of the drum book for the last two years. He will do a fantastic job and the percussion section won't miss a beat.

• Like 2

Well, that's how it should be. Can you name one case where the drum book was written first? Though I do admit that there were times the last couple of years where SCV sounded like they wrote the percussion first.

I like stuff like Troop '11 When the percussion and brass were written at the same time (by the same guy). Now that was a show.

I'm sure James Sparling will be taking over. He's been writing part of the drum book for the last two years. He will do a fantastic job and the percussion section won't miss a beat.

Nailed it. Sparling has been named percussion director, members know. Mason was on a 5 year plan, and Green wanted to pursue other avenues creatively, don't read too far into certain things.

Nailed it. Sparling has been named percussion director, members know. Mason was on a 5 year plan, and Green wanted to pursue other avenues creatively, don't read too far into certain things.

It will be interesting to see who the brass caption head will be for Madison.

It will be interesting to see who the brass caption head will be for Madison.

I'm confident that caption will be fine, as will program coordinator.

Well, that's how it should be. Can you name one case where the drum book was written first? Though I do admit that there were times the last couple of years where SCV sounded like they wrote the percussion first.

I don't think it has anything to do with being written first. Its about integration between the sections. Crown has a poor blend and balance between the brass writing and the percussion writing. Anyone can clearly see the focus is put on Crown's horn line through the majority of the show and percussion moments are just the spots in between the horn line showing off how many notes they can play.

BD does it right with Dave Glyde scoring out the integration between the brass and percussion for the entire show. BD should be the road map for how a music coordinator designs a show.

• Like 3

I don't think it has anything to do with being written first. Its about integration between the sections. Crown has a poor blend and balance between the brass writing and the percussion writing. Anyone can clearly see the focus is put on Crown's horn line through the majority of the show and percussion moments are just the spots in between the horn line showing off how many notes they can play.

BD does it right with Dave Glyde scoring out the integration between the brass and percussion for the entire show. BD should be the road map for how a music coordinator designs a show.

Well, the front ensemble arranging will at least be changing. Andrew Markworth is no longer at Crown.

• Like 1

Well, the front ensemble arranging will at least be changing. Andrew Markworth is no longer at Crown.

Drew is a very talented guy. I've got a spot I'm hoping he'll head to.