CBS Evening News Story On Youngest Blue Devils Snare

Was a great story for a great kid that's got plenty of years in front of him with the Blue Devils.

When the clip was shown at finals sat night, I took notice that everything stopped. There was no talking, milling around. Every head was watching the jumbo screen. It was so quiet you could hear every word. After, there was a thunderous applause. We witnessed the birth of a drum corps icon.

Was a great story for a great kid that's got plenty of years in front of him with the Blue Devils.

No kidding. Brandon is 16 now. So how many more years of eligibility does he have? 5?

I know he has received a lot of notoriety over the last few years. But really, how uncommon is it to have 16 year olds in the Blue Devils, in any section?

No kidding. Brandon is 16 now. So how many more years of eligibility does he have? 5?

I know he has received a lot of notoriety over the last few years. But really, how uncommon is it to have 16 year olds in the Blue Devils, in any section?

I think he said a while ago that he was the youngest BD snare ever.

If he does have 5 more years left, how many titles and Sanfords will he have when all is said and done. 4 titles/3 Sanfords?

Jill Wagner is a CBS reporter, which may not seem surprising since she is reporting in a CBS news story, except that sometimes the "reporter" in stories like this is actually working for the organization involved (BD or DCI in this case).

It would actually be possible for DCI to produce their own news stories (using Steve Rondinaro, who is a news anchor) and I have wondered why they don't do more things like this.

It would allow every local news station in the country to introduce the story (say, Finals) and throw to Steve as if he were their own reporter. At the end, Steve would say a generic "Back to you in the studio" and few viewers are the wiser. It's done all the time.

Better yet, on returning to the anchors, they can conclude the story by mentioning that the winning corps show can be seen "at our website" which would link to a freebie one-day video at FN.

See, I've got all this figured out... :tounge2:

• Like 1

Pretty uncommon to see snares that young in ANY of the top corps, so it is indeed impressive. In that regard, there was a 15 year old Californian on the Bluecoats snareline this year (which if the recent Bluecoats to Blue Devils snare player transitions are any indication, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that kid end up in Concord).

Also along those lines, Crown's center snare this year just graduated from high school (17? 18?).

We witnessed the birth of a drum corps icon.

Actually, this is an interesting topic... what individual performers would be considered the "icons" of DCI going back? Those single individuals that any DCI fan can actually put a name and corps to, and will remember years after they aged out?

Just to get a list going, the first three to pop into my head were Dean Patterson, Herbert Washington, and Thompson Vou.

Edited by MotoSurfBass

But really, how uncommon is it to have 16 year olds in the Blue Devils, in any section?

I remember 2 in BD the year I marched were were younger than Brandon.

John Trombetta (sop) age 14...marched next to me.

Karl Tonander (euph) age 15.

Both came up from the B corps.

There were likely other mid-teens at the time, but I don't have my yearbook to check.

Wasn't Rich Viano really young when he marched...end snare for 83 Briudgen, I think.

I think the move to older players in any section is more a reflection of drill demand than anything else.