Lucas Oil Thoughts

I have attended Finals at Lucas Oil ever since it's been moved there. Like most people it seems, I am not crazy about Finals being held in a domed stadium, but I really understand why.

I did sit on the 40 yard line this year and about mid-way up and I really had no issues with the sound this year. Everything was clear as could be. I know that higher up or outside the 35's, there are a lot more issues, but I did really enjoy my seats and the perfect environment for excellence the dome gives you (perfect field, temperature, no wind!).

My question is this: If Finals was no longer held in a dome, what is the worst case scenario if there is rain? I've followed the activity for over 25 years and I understand that DCI has been lucky and any rain has just caused a delay and the show has gone on, BUT with all the rain that was experienced this summer, how would DCI handle a real storm on Saturday if the show was outside?

I know you can delay and go well into the night, but what if it's pouring down rain all night Saturday and all through the night? Flights are booked, banquets are planned, equipment is being picked up from bands that purchased them Saturday night. You could not have the show on Sunday. Would you just go with the Friday night results and call it a season?

My issue with not enclosed stadiums is how bloody hot it would be. I do not want to sit in 95 degree weather at finals.

• Like 4

I don't like the Indy Colts all that well......oh wait a minute, wrong sport. Sorry.

• Like 1

This was the first year I sat in the 200 level (239), I've sat in 140 or 141 the past five years. Honestly, the decrease in volume isn't worth the slightly better read on the drill. Sound was clear but I wasn't hit with that wall of sound I'm used to from outdoor shows or being closer to the field in Lucas Oil.

I'm not sure if instrumentation has anything to do with it (probably more pedagogy) but the projection of modern hornlines isn't that great in scenarios like this.

My question is this: If Finals was no longer held in a dome, what is the worst case scenario if there is rain? I've followed the activity for over 25 years and I understand that DCI has been lucky and any rain has just caused a delay and the show has gone on, BUT with all the rain that was experienced this summer, how would DCI handle a real storm on Saturday if the show was outside?

I know you can delay and go well into the night, but what if it's pouring down rain all night Saturday and all through the night? Flights are booked, banquets are planned, equipment is being picked up from bands that purchased them Saturday night. You could not have the show on Sunday. Would you just go with the Friday night results and call it a season?

That was the risk DCI ran from 1972-2008. There's no way to push finals to Sunday, so if Saturday had been rained out, the season would have been over and the Friday winner would be the champion.

But imagine that the worst had happened (as it does every season for some shows)...

- DCI wouldn't give refunds, and most finals tickets are bought long in advance. So the only lost revenue would be from walkups.

- If possible, they'd arrange some kind of a standstill performance for the fans.

- Video/audio recordings were made on all nights, so you'd still be able to sell Friday night's recordings.

It would be a disappointing end to the year, sure, but it doesn't seem like a total catastrophe for DCI or the corps.

• Like 1

I was at the terrace level...sometimes I could hear some reverb. I wish I could have enjoyed Crown more-but some histrionic 20-something year old screamed with joy at every little thing they did and then broke down into tears. I am glad someone can enjoy a show, but I could not because of her.

I enjoyed the evening.....Loved: BAC (did not like them beginning of year), BS, BK, SCV, Cavaliers, SCV, Crown...Biggest disappointments: Cadets (clean but not my taste- this show could have been alot more), BD (great staging- more like a theater performance. And no, they do not play their most difficult licks marching, but they sounded good though), Phantom- great visual performance-but about as dry of emotions as you can get. I always love them for that---2006, 2008, 2010, 2012..

Minimal rain risk if you have finals out west. Please oh please? Once in awhile? Bay area maybe? It's not so hot there. That would be a little handier for us NW folks, since I am fairly certain OR or WA will not be in the running in the foreseeable future. Although if ever these states were in the running, the weather would have a high percentage chance of cooperating because it's darn near perfect in these neck of the woods in August.

This was the first year I sat in the 200 level (239), I've sat in 140 or 141 the past five years. Honestly, the decrease in volume isn't worth the slightly better read on the drill. Sound was clear but I wasn't hit with that wall of sound I'm used to from outdoor shows or being closer to the field in Lucas Oil.

I'm not sure if instrumentation has anything to do with it (probably more pedagogy) but the projection of modern hornlines isn't that great in scenarios like this.

I sat in the blast zone for prelims, the 200s for semis and the 500s for finals. The 500s were my favorite by far and I was surprised by this! The sound was way better than I thought it would be. (Even in the 200s, I didn't understand a word of Colts' narration as it was entirely jumbled by echo). The trade-off for finals was the bird's eye view of all things visual. I saw things I've never seen before up there. I also appreciated the seriousness of the fans around me. Not a word was spoken during performances.

My biggest complaint about LOS is that the seats aren't set high enough row by row so as to allow a good view. I am short in stature and much of the time, 40% of the field was blocked by a large person sitting in front of me. Luckily for finals I was against the wall in the 500s and spent most of my time standing. The view was SPECTACULAR!

Edited by luv4corps

I think we have to finally come to grips with Finals being at LOS for the foreseeable future. DCI pretty much takes over downtown Indy on Finals weekend. I would LOVE it if they moved Finals around the country, as it would provide new opportunities for fans to attend, and selfishly, would provide new and fun destinations to explore. As it stands, the people I travel to Finals with every year don't want to go anymore, because they are absolutely sick of Indianapolis. I will keep attending no matter what, but I understand where they are coming from. But from DCI's standpoint, I can understand why they keep it in Indy.