Lucas Oil Thoughts

And this is the crux of the issue.

The average tenure of a DCI fan is about 3 years. We've now been in LOS long enough that the vast majority of fans have never experienced finals outdoors. (It's ironic to me that, after almost 25 years of traveling around to finals, the best outdoor stadium they ever played in (IMO) was the last one they played in.)

It's only us old codgers who miss it.

I loved Bloomington too.

• Like 1

IF Fan Network purchases continue to grow, it could become less important to build a Finals audience larger than, say, 20,000. After all, the total amount of seats between the goal lines at other stadiums is not likely to be much greater than that. What IS important, is ensuring Fan Network presentations come off as scheduled, and under ideal conditions for both performer and technology. Beyond its other advantages, Indianapolis certainly provides this guarantee. I suggest DCI remains in Indy beyond the current contract.

I don't think anyone buying the finals webcast is doing it to avoid going Fred. There's nothing like being there live. if anything hurts them IMO, it's the movie theater on Thursday. Over the years I've seen many people say they went to the theater...even near Indy...then went to Indy on Friday

I don't think anyone buying the finals webcast is doing it to avoid going Fred. There's nothing like being there live. if anything hurts them IMO, it's the movie theater on Thursday. Over the years I've seen many people say they went to the theater...even near Indy...then went to Indy on Friday

Hey, Jeff!

To clarify, I mean to say, switching the site of Finals to attract a bigger live audience could become less important. The earnings potential of Fan Network might grow to make the size of the in-person audience less of a concern. Being there live is wonderful for those who choose to do so. However, the size of the audience choosing not to attend live (no matter where the event is held) is MUCH larger. Maximizing revenue from viewers who do not attend is likely to produce more income than enticing more people to make the actual trip than the amount currently choosing to do so. Besides, once the crowd size goes much over 25,000, additional audience members really don't get much of a show experience due to their poor seat location.

By the way, I have attended the Indy 500 in-person for many years. Never got bored by a lack of alternate attractions, I suppose it just comes down to how much 'free' time someone builds in to their visit, the radius they are willing to explore, and the amount of money they are able to spend.

Edited by Fred Windish

Hey, Jeff!

To clarify, I mean to say, switching the site of Finals to attract a bigger live audience could become less important. The earnings potential of Fan Network might grow to make the size of the in-person audience less of a concern. Being there live is wonderful for those who choose to do so. However, the size of the audience choosing not to attend live (no matter where the event is held) is MUCH larger. Maximizing revenue from viewers who do not attend is likely to produce more income than enticing more people to make the actual trip than the amount currently choosing to do so. Besides, once the crowd size goes much over 25,000, additional audience members really don't get much of a show experience due to their poor seat location.

By the way, I have attended the Indy 500 in-person for many years. Never got bored by a lack of alternate attractions, I suppose it just comes down to how much 'free' time someone builds in to their visit, the radius they are willing to explore, and the amount of money they are able to spend.

gotcha. I'm not sure it will ever get enough online buys to truly make a difference. it's going to come down to stadium deals, and Indy blows everyone away. they have downside guarantees so if attendance drops, DCI doesn't pay as much. it's too sweet to not go there financially.

the area is the least of my concerns with it. the sound is my issue. second may be the cost of food in the venue

I agree with this, and is the crux of my issues with coming to Indy every year. I come with my friend and my brother every year. They are both casual fans, but we use the trip as an opportunity to do a "guy's" trip each year. They both like Finals, but really don't care much more than that. My brother did run in the DCI 5k, so that was a nice difference from the past, but overall, they are in Indy to hang out and just go to Finals. If they stopped going to Indy, I would be attending EVERYTHING! But then I would be going alone :(