Lucas Oil Thoughts

I'm interested in seeing the attendance figures from DCI when they release them. This seemed to be the largest crowd for Finals since moving to Lucas Oil. It seems like it is growing every year. Could still be more, but it's moving in the right direction!

I agree. no mater how much some of us hating the place, people are going. Until enough people stop, DCI won't look at any changes

I think it just disinterests many people to see DCI in the same place every year. And as someone who lived in Indiana for three years, it stinks for tourism, and the airport leaves me little to be desired.

I wish they would go back to moving it every couple years. Then it makes you look forward to something new every couple of seasons.

I agree. no mater how much some of us hating the place, people are going. Until enough people stop, DCI won't look at any changes

also jeff as much as people hated it in the past I have found the tables have turned ALOT on that. There are many very satisfied with the facility especially the alternative to outdoor issues. The more people have lost money at local shows during the year due to rain the more supportive they have become with the indoor venue for a guarantee championship. Issues or not, and there are.

The majority of fans don't want it? I'd love to take a poll on that (and not just DCP).

Indy is HARDLY the Sahara desert. This year at 6:50 PM when the first corps stepped off at Finals it was 77 degrees outside and partly cloudy. At 10:30 PM it was 75 degrees outside and still pleasant. Definitely heat stroke weather, oh yes. Only ONE Indianapolis Finals stepoff would have been over 85 degrees the past 5 years. That's pretty darn good if you ask me. This is a summer activity where the other 95+% of the shows happen outdoors and often in SWELTERING heat in Kansas or Oklahoma during the peaks of mid-late July. This year obviously being an outlier with the cold push that hit both areas, but every other year I have been to those events it has been 85, 90, 95 degrees.

I'm just saying, to claim that fans don't want it because of the heat is a #### poor excuse, and a very lazy argument in my opinion. Where is the pure data on that?

That's so nice that the shows are designed for LOS from day one. Maybe that was why Crown was such an abject failure this year, considering only 3 weekends in the entire season consisted of indoor arenas. It didn't give the judges an accurate read of their show as intended I bet. Yeah, that's the excuse.

hes right. many people have changed their views on the inside arena for a number of reasons. Many who hated it soon changed their minds when they lost money at a local show due to rain. I personally like the sound of course outside but you can't beat the comfort of indoors, especially for a long length of time.

I actually would be very surprised if you ever see regiona'ls or championships outside again...not that it 's not possible I guess. The deals these arenas make for long term also plays a part for sure

Edited by GUARDLING

I personally like the sound of course outside but you can't beat the comfort of indoors, especially for a long length of time.

And the older I get, the more I endorse that line of thought. :tongue:

• Like 2

also jeff as much as people hated it in the past I have found the tables have turned ALOT on that. There are many very satisfied with the facility especially the alternative to outdoor issues. The more people have lost money at local shows during the year due to rain the more supportive they have become with the indoor venue for a guarantee championship. Issues or not, and there are.

there's both sides sure. but no matter what, DCI won't move unless they had a serious drop in attendance. I'd probably go again if family situations were workable, but I'd not be thrilled about it. the only thing I miss about Indy is st. Elmo's. As a bass drummer, I hate not being able to hear them unless they're featured.

Looked like the biggest crowd I’ve ever seen there too and if they are making money….

Recall some G7 thing about finals needing to be outdoors (even after they were the ones that voted on the dome)

The central location makes it good too plus it’s in near a lot of drum corps (Midwest region)

Would love to have prelims, maybe semi’s even at ISU, maybe move to the dome for final as the safety…might even boost prelim numbers

still, rather be outside and I have a very limited acceptable seating area due to sound

there's both sides sure. but no matter what, DCI won't move unless they had a serious drop in attendance. I'd probably go again if family situations were workable, but I'd not be thrilled about it. the only thing I miss about Indy is st. Elmo's. As a bass drummer, I hate not being able to hear them unless they're featured.

yeah , it doesnt seem like it's going to move. Agree for percussion it's a bit of an issue

yeah , it doesnt seem like it's going to move. Agree for percussion it's a bit of an issue

which is why you still see a drum guy on the field

which is why you still see a drum guy on the field

ok you can have that....lol..although there are some who do feel it's about the big not the little picture..but I wont get you your drum thing DUDE!...lol

I do wonder though with split drum line ..cadets 2011 and other times. how 1 judge can even judge a drum line today. Its not like BITD when all drummers were pretty close to each other 100% of the time. Just wondering