Top 10 Favorite shows of all time!

Hmm, for fun, I'll take a stab at it, in no particular order, I do agree with the idea it should be a top 12, though.

1991 Crossmen: Original and unique horn book, groovy as anything percussion, unique stuff.

2014 Blue Coats: I made the Coat's crowd cam on Facebook at Chaster when I lost it for them. What more can you want from me?

2004 Vanguard: I went nuts for them as well live. All due respect.

2008 Phantom: I am Spatacus. I am Groot. I am still loving this show.

1986 Blue Devils: Perhaps the best and purest expression of the early BD style and dominance. I remember seeing that at East Prlima and standing on the bleacher at the end leading to the front and jumping up and down like a manic for them, arms in the air for the rest of the show..

1984 Cadets: Brilliant. Groundbreaking.

2008 Cavaliers: The show got it. It was respectful, it was intense.

1991 Cavaliers: They made me cry at East prelims during "Silent Night". Wow.

1980 Bridgemen: Sheer attitude and fun.

1999 Glassmen: I love Kodaly. Met a bari player from Heartliner in Germany who marched that show and we were singing the big ending from Hary Janos together and laughing last year about it. A marvelous book.

1999 Blue Knights: Trittico. A brilliant composition. The all out push in the end sequence is something brass players live to play.

1990 Star of Indiana: I love '91... but.... there's such a sense of brilliance and uplifting spirituality that lifts my heart.

Honorable mention, '91 Star, '85 Suncoast, '82 Phantom. 1993 BD. 91 BD. '80 North Star.

There's a mix of older and newer stuff in there. there is Pre-1980 stuff I do enjoy and appreciate but just doesn't quite make the list.

• Like 2

1) Blue Devils - 1993 (This is my all time favorite brass sound and is some of the best music I have heard a drum corps play, ever.)

2) Star of Indiana - 1993 (I admire this show. It was truly ahead of its time and speaks for itself.)

3) Blue Devils - 1991 (This is probably my second favorite brass sound; although, it's a close tie with 02 Cavies. The brass book is absolutely insane, and the opener has some of the smartest drill design I have yet to see.)

4) Cadets - 1987 (I would probably question anyone who does not like this show. It is one of those shows that I believe to be the pinnacle of an era of drum corps, truly masterful.)

5) Cavaliers - 2002 (This is straight drum corps perfection. I consider it to be along the lines of 87 Cadets in terms of defining an era. Also, the brass has arguably the best tone quality that any drum corps has fielded.)

6) Blue Devils - 2012 (This is a show that grew on me over time. I may be swayed a bit by the Bird and Bela redux in this show, but I feel it is a wonderfully designed show that just works.)

7) Santa Clara Vanguard - 1999 (Barber Symphony No. 1 and 2. Yes. I debated putting this show higher, but there are just too many good shows.)

8) Blue Devils - 2010 (I think this was BD's best show ever. It is a stunning masterpiece of design and execution. It is not my favorite to listen to or watch for fun, but when I want to see some darn good drum corps, this is a show I consistently return to.)

9) Cavaliers - 1995 (Cavies had the best treatment of Holst that I have seen in drum corps. That alone puts this show into my top 10.)

10) Cavaliers - 2008 (This show was just fun. I wish they had done this show in 2007 because I think it would have won that year, 08 had BD on point and that weird PR surge. I think this is a gold worthy show that just had a bad luck of the draw.)

• Like 2

1983 Vanguard - Giannini

1984 Vanguard - Fanfare and Allegro

1986 Blue Devils - Happy Days are Here Again

2008 Phantom - Sparticus

2014 Bluecoats - Tilt

1987 Vanguard - Russian Christmas Music

1992 Cavaliers - Gavorkna

1991 Star of Indiana - Roman Images

2004 Cavaliers - 007

1996 Blue Devils - Club Blue

1- Cavaliers 2004

2- Cavaliers 2002

3- crown 2008

4- phantom 2008

5- cadets 2011

6- Cavaliers 2011

7- crown 2012 (thought this show was better than crown 2013 with regards to entertainment)

8- bluecoats 2010

9- Cavaliers 2006

10-crown 2014 (those brass runs in the closer just had me like :O )

11- Cavaliers 2005

12- crown 2009

I don't know what it is with cavalier shows, but they just entertain the heck out of me. I really appreciate Good and innovative drill and I think that's why so many of the early to mid 2000's with Cavaliers were so cool. Michael ganes was just such a beast.

1. 2007 Blue Devils - Winged Victory - 1st - 98.000

Just a wonderful, often overlooked, championship show. Everything about this show speaks to me.

2. 2002 Cavaliers - Frameworks - 1st - 99.150

Brilliant show design put on the field by one of the most talented corps ever fielded.

3. 2005 Cadets - The Zone - 1st - 99.150

This show did get quite a bit of hate, but it's one of the Cadets' more 'out there' shows and its absolutely wonderful in its execution and arrangement.

4. 1989 Cavaliers - Gloria - 3rd - 97.200

How to turn Catholicism into Drum Corps 101

5. 2008 Blue Devils - Constantly Risking Absurdity - 2nd - 98.100

Often overshadowed by Phantom's weird surge, this is just an example of BD really putting it out there.

6. 2012 Cadets - 12.25 - 4th - 95.050

George 'Jingle Bell' Hopkins decided it was Christmas in July. And it might have well been because this show was just BEAUTFUL.

7. 2012 Blue Devils - Cabaret Voltaire - 1st - 98.700

The show that single-handedly turned me into not only a Blue Devils fan, but a MAJOR DCI fan.

8. 1989 SCV - Phantom of the Opera - 1st - 98.800

Repeating a show concept back to back shouldn't usually work, but it did. Oh yes, it did.

9. 2011 Phantom - Juliet - 5th - 95.050

Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral. That is all.

10. 2009 Phantom - The Red Violin - 9th - 89.900

Ninth place schminth place.

Edited by JamesKPolk
  • Like 1

10 ? its impossible to list just 10.. but ok, here goes ( no particular order ) :

1) 2008 Carolina Crown ( " Finis " )

2) 1995 Madison Scouts ( " Drum Corps Fans Dream ")

3) 2003 Boston Crusaders ( " BRAVO! " )

4) 1984 Cadets ( " West Side Story " )

5) 2006 Blue Devils ( " The Godfather " )

6) 1988 Santa Clara Vanguard ( " Phantom of the Opera " )

7) 2006 Phantom Regiment ( " Faust " )

8) 1994 Blue Devils ( " My Spanish Heart " )

9) 2006 Cavaliers ( " The Machine " )

10) 1997 Crossmen ( " Colors of Jazz " )