Cadets 2015

Sure - A forward thinking approach to guard means expressing musical dynamics in different ways than what has been established (Like tossing a 6 on a major chord etc...). BD is a master at this as they continually surprise with their "forward thinking" approach to musicality - it's unexpected and brings the writing and performance to another level.

Cadets guard hasen't done this since 2005 when they did that absolutely awesome left side / right side mirror equipment work in the ballad to simulate a chess game - that was forward thinking.

Later,

Mike

Gotcha. I agree with the 2005 guard. That Chess game was pretty hot to watch.

• Like 2

I just listed 4 incredible shows, and was talking about how much I like them even regardless of some of the crazy stuff that happened in ONE performance of an incredible season.

I meant without reservation, though.

Are you asking if I'm a blind homer to a show or group?

No.

And none of us should be.

No no, I'm asking which shows you like without having to ignore the heros, overlook obvious flaws, etc.

Those two shows, on finals night (way moreso than the rest of the season), a few individuals in the hornlines decided to give more than their all. 98 mello section, 2000 trumpet section.

It wasn't really like that for the season, that I can remember, they were just things that happened on those nights. I can listen to it with perspective and remember the hornlines for how they actually were.

Other times this has happened would be 2000 Cavaliers, where they overhyped the hell out of the finals run and a tuba player in the 2003 Phantom Regiment show who plays so loud at times it sounds like wrong notes. All anomalies compared to the rest of the season.

Actually, this is very true, at least in my book. With 1998 I also thought a few baritones stuck out, especially at the end of the opener. Still a fantastic show, especially the visual with that guard. But brass didn't calm down until the ballad.

I guess I don't recall Cadets 2000 being so much about heroes as much as I thought those new Yamaha Bb trumpets just stunk. That was the first year for the Yamaha Bb brass and the high end was terrible. So I thought most of the problem that year was about equipment.

In 2001 The Cadets should have WON brass. They won brass all year. In fact, I think they were undefeated in brass until semis or finals. That line sounds like a million bucks, and that closer was awesome.

Phantom in 2003 was largely the same as Cadets 2001. Phantom dominated brass most of 2003. Great book, great performers, and a top 4 show. I was pulling for them to win brass, and then they just over-blew the show on Finals night and ended up in 2nd or 3rd. I think it was 3rd. I forget. So sad though. That was one of the best brass lines (when they played well) of the entire first decade of the 2000s. Truly spectacular (along with Cadets 2001). In fact, I would have taken Phantom 2003 and Cadets 2001, at their best, over any of the champions and their brass lines in the first decade of the 2000s. Not counting this year, only Carolina 2012, 2013, 2014, and BD 2010 and 2014 would be better...IMO.

• Like 1

Something just occurred to me. And maybe some of the guard people can help me with this. There's been some talk about the guard not doing enough body movement (Cadets 2015 I'm speaking of), not being forward thinking and the like. Could this possibly be because now the hornlines of today are doing a lot of body movement and maybe not leaving it all up to the guard? This is a serious question and i'm looking more for an education about guard as opposed to the blame game, excuses and anything else other than what I've asked.

Actually, this is very true, at least in my book. With 1998 I also thought a few baritones stuck out, especially at the end of the opener. Still a fantastic show, especially the visual with that guard. But brass didn't calm down until the ballad.

I guess I don't recall Cadets 2000 being so much about heroes as much as I thought those new Yamaha Bb trumpets just stunk. That was the first year for the Yamaha Bb brass and the high end was terrible. So I thought most of the problem that year was about equipment.

In 2001 The Cadets should have WON brass. They won brass all year. In fact, I think they were undefeated in brass until semis or finals. That line sounds like a million bucks, and that closer was awesome.

Phantom in 2003 was largely the same as Cadets 2001. Phantom dominated brass most of 2003. Great book, great performers, and a top 4 show. I was pulling for them to win brass, and then they just over-blew the show on Finals night and ended up in 2nd or 3rd. I think it was 3rd. I forget. So sad though. That was one of the best brass lines (when they played well) of the entire first decade of the 2000s. Truly spectacular (along with Cadets 2001). In fact, I would have taken Phantom 2003 and Cadets 2001, at their best, over any of the champions and their brass lines in the first decade of the 2000s. Not counting this year, only Carolina 2012, 2013, 2014, and BD 2010 and 2014 would be better...IMO.

2001 Cadets was a cool show.

Help me out. Who won brass in 2001? Surely not Cavaliers, right? BD maybe?

2001 Cadets was a cool show.

Help me out. Who won brass in 2001? Surely not Cavaliers, right? BD maybe?

BD took it on Finals night. Certainly well deserved if the judges felt Cadets had a few issues. But yes, people should check out the Cadets brass line of 2001. A monster of a line. Same for Phantom 2003. So wish Phantom would have played better finals night. That could have been a legendary line.

BD took it on Finals night. Certainly well deserved if the judges felt Cadets had a few issues. But yes, people should check out the Cadets brass line of 2001. A monster of a line. Same for Phantom 2003. So wish Phantom would have played better finals night. That could have been a legendary line.

I would have been in that line had I not gave up my last two years of drum corps for the Navy. :unhappy:

Something just occurred to me. And maybe some of the guard people can help me with this. There's been some talk about the guard not doing enough body movement (Cadets 2015 I'm speaking of), not being forward thinking and the like. Could this possibly be because now the hornlines of today are doing a lot of body movement and maybe not leaving it all up to the guard? This is a serious question and i'm looking more for an education about guard as opposed to the blame game, excuses and anything else other than what I've asked.

For winds/percussion we use the phrase "simultaneous responsibility".

For guard, they have something similar called "the triad". The triad encompasses your formal responsibility, your equipment responsibility, and your movement responsibility.

When one part of that triad is not as exposed or developed, even when all three are present simultaneously or sequentially they shouldn't be rewarded as much as others who use those components better.

This is one of the reoccurring criticisms of the BD guard.

In terms of Visual Analysis, I think your point is valid. In terms of the guard sheet, which is influenced a lot by WGI, you better use the triad and all three components of that triad better be legit, or you're going to be looked down upon by the guardies.