Cadets 2015

Jeff has them moving as much as the corps proper. Add the guard book is loaded with equipment work and body spins and toss, tumble on ground and catch, it's too much. Mary design for guard prevails. Watch BD guard. Flag tosses while in a stationary formation, similar to the brass (park n bark) concept. They do some really hard stuff (rifle exchange on ladders) but very limited and then followed by very cleanable stuff.

What happens if they manage to clean all that stuff?

The final three or four minutes of the show, they have these ten boxes sitting on the 50 front and center with the corps backfield. And they just sit there. And sit there. Then before the final push (where the horn line spells out "TEN" - the new finish) the guard rearrange the boxes and again, there they sit. This can't be the final ending for these props. Right?

Quick question...how did Bluecoats wind up 2nd from last in SA next weekend when they 1).were in another show and 2) lost to cadets last year in SA?

Quick question...how did Bluecoats wind up 2nd from last in SA next weekend when they 1).were in another show and 2) lost to cadets last year in SA?

Results from DCI Minnesota (Minneapolis) and Drums Along the Rockies (Denver) on Saturday, July 11, determine the performance order for the DCI Southwestern Championship in San Antonio. Once seeded in score order, corps were drawn at random in groups of three (First through third, fourth through sixth, etc.).

Jeff has them moving as much as the corps proper. Add the guard book is loaded with equipment work and body spins and toss, tumble on ground and catch, it's too much. Mary design for guard prevails. Watch BD guard. Flag tosses while in a stationary formation, similar to the brass (park n bark) concept. They do some really hard stuff (rifle exchange on ladders) but very limited and then followed by very cleanable stuff.

I don't agree with this though. Blue Devils have some extremely intricate, musical, organic work that is much harder than it looks due to performance excellence. Then we have Crown doing some simply amazing equipment and movement work with added drill responsibilities (which I agree BD doesn't have as much of).

The issue I have with Cadets guard is that their book is not forward thinking. The approach and writing is very conventional. The movement isn't organic (the dancers look awkward in their movement section) and the hoops and pole section just doesn't add anything. It's not a question of cleaning - but major rewrites IMO.

Later,

Mike

Edited by Guardguy89

I don't agree with this though. Blue Devils have some extremely intricate, musical, organic work that is music harder than it looks due to performance excellence. Then we have Crown doing some simply amazing equipment and movement work with added drill responsibilities (which I agree BD doesn't have as much of).

The issue I have with Cadets guard is that their book is not forward thinking. The approach and writing is very conventional. The movement isn't organic (the dancers look awkward in their movement section) and the hoops and pole section just doesn't add anything. It's not a question of cleaning - but major rewrites IMO.

Later,

Mike

This is exactly the problem with Cadet's guard. Even if it were squeaky clean (which it probably will be by finals) it will still not contend. The writing seems like spinning for spinning sake and nothing particularly memorable. It's the design (and staging to some extent) that is the issue, not the excellence.

• Like 1