Cadets 2015

I asked for that. After 10 minutes of runs, I thought they needed a big sustained chord before diving into...more runs!

They actually could hose it a bit musically after the big chord and it would still be great, but that's not their style. They always have an insane closer that's really not doable, but they always make it so.

I know! Hockey Dad always loathed the Cadets. I thought you were another Hockey Dad. Hey, at least you call it like you see it. Good for you..

You can't pigeon hole me! I don't loathe any corps. I sure can loathe the direction a corps management team / corps director is taking. First time I saw Cadets was 1978.. They were going through a rough spell, missed finals. But I will never forget overhearing a conversation in the crowd where someone said "Cadets are the hardest working drum corps in DCI. ". And since that very first viewing I respected them. Now, if there's a year or years where Hop decides to go all in with narration, I probably won't like the show. But it's not because it's the Cadets, it's because it's a narration show. I LOVE Phantom. I LOATHE their show this year. Why? I LOVE PARIS IN THE SPRINGTIME....Ugh. No. Just. No.

• Like 1

I still don't understand those ten green boxes sitting front and center on the field for what seems like an eternity the last 3 minutes or so of the show, while the corps is doing their awesomeness backfield. Is this going to change?

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

I still don't understand those ten green boxes sitting front and center on the field for what seems like an eternity the last 3 minutes or so of the show, while the corps is doing their awesomeness backfield. Is this going to change?

The props move five different times during the show from their original location in the beginning. So six different sets in the show altogether given the length of the program. I think that's sufficient, especially considering that after they move them, they USE them. And realize also that the more often they move them, the more often they lose performers who are lugging them around for a set or two. And for the end of the show, what you want most is your performers performing. I think it's fine.

The props move five different times during the show from their original location in the beginning. So six different sets in the show altogether given the length of the program. I think that's sufficient, especially considering that after they move them, they USE them. And realize also that the more often they move them, the more often they lose performers who are lugging them around for a set or two. And for the end of the show, what you want most is your performers performing. I think it's fine.

I guess I didn't communicate my point very well. I have no criticism of how they used the boxes or how many times. I just really noticed them just sitting there in a very prominent location during the last 2-3 minutes. Right on the 50. Right up at the front sideline. And I kept thinking, why? My eyes were drawn to the boxes just sitting there, not off to the side or off the field but right there on the 50. It just seemed curious. Maybe it's just me.

Edited by HockeyDad

I guess I didn't communicate my point very well. I have no criticism of how they used the boxes or how many times. I just really noticed them just sitting there in a very prominent location during the last 2-3 minutes. Right on the 50. Right up at the front sideline. And I kept thinking, why? My eyes were drawn to the boxes just sitting there, not off to the side or off the field but right there on the 50. It just seemed curious. Maybe it's just me.

I guess they decided that it wasn't worth it for the guard to take the time (and lose the performers temporarily) to drag them back and away for the end of the show. Regardless, I don't think it's an issue.

I think it'll change. I don't think the ending that we see now is complete.

• Like 1