Staff Performance Reactions at Finals

So where are we? A big dog corps director bemoans lack of audience reaction. An adjudicator says, crowd reaction makes no difference in scoring. So, where are we? Or...have we identified the core problem? Or....are we okay that crowd reaction has no bearing? That would explain why designers don't seem to care about designing for the crowd appeal.

Audience reaction is important for 1 thing, the members. Its is the audience way of showing approval or not. Audience members do not have a say in the score so this is their way. Just as a judge would not stand up and clap for a corps.

Audience reaction NEVER has told who may or may not be the better corps , just the one who had more fans there that night.

So , I believe it's not a problem today nor was it BITD.

Designers also do care about audience reactions just not with a number attached to it. One has very little to do with the other.

Edited by GUARDLING

So you're saying no one is entertaining anymore?

You can't trick me! Mr. Hopkins said it. See above. I'm just running with it. Oh and also, there is a healthy quantity of not-so-entertaining out there, in my opinion.

Edited by HockeyDad

You can't trick me! Mr. Hopkins said it. See above. I'm just running with it. Oh and also, there is a healthy quantity of not-so-entertaining out there, in my opinion.

There's always been a healthy quantity of not so entertaining out there. It comes with the territory. This is also very subjective. Another reason why audience should NEVER have anything to do with score. Belive me I've been on the side of having a group that just tore it up and didn't win and sure I didn't like it BUT did that make my group better? maybe , maybe not. Criteria dictates .

Edited by GUARDLING

Definitely agree that there are some out there that are not entertaining, but to be honest, I enjoyed finals over the past several years more than I had in many other years.

• Like 1

Maybe not stated nearly as well or concisely...but my very point as well. Thank you, Guard. (All of which, given last summer's discussion here on DCP whether or not there should be an "audience component" to the scoring, I was strongly in disapproval.)

Crap. Guard? My "Maybe not stated nearly as clearly or concisely" comment was directed toward my original post, not yours. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Interesting dichotomy....judges and audience. To me, the difference is this: judges both observe and are ultimately responsible for the artistic and numeric assessment of the various Corps in competition. The audience? They observe...but because they (as a whole) may not be well-versed in the intricacies of adjudication which exist according to the present rules, standards, and practices of the adjudication "caption" of the activity (My God!!! Yet another caption!!!), do not adjudicate, and thus, have no tangible bearing upon the numeric assessment of the Corps' performance.

I know this sounds simple...truly, a "Well, DUH!!!" moment. Yet, I think it bears pointing out. Just my .02 cents worth.

Edited by HornTeacher

And yet again, I've participated in the subversion of the original intent of the thread. I WILL shut up now...I promise!!

So where are we? A big dog corps director bemoans lack of audience reaction. An adjudicator says, crowd reaction makes no difference in scoring. So, where are we? Or...have we identified the core problem? Or....are we okay that crowd reaction has no bearing? That would explain why designers don't seem to care about designing for the crowd appeal.

Hop actually gained a couple of points with me for bemoaning the lack of crowd response, because I remember the most recent time and he clearly was feeling "bad" for his kids.

I think the judge is way off base. This was the reason for creating Cesario's position in the judging criteria meetings, IIRC. I'd bet that judge was either just spouting off or is distinctly out of touch with Cesario's vision of show production. There's an "engagement" aspect to judging, too.

And, to drag you back on thread before we kick your team's fannies this weekend, the "core issue" is the staff's reaction to shows and how it can get dislocated from the crowd's reactions and, thus, become a distraction.

I think there's an interesting angle to this, though. I, like many of you, have seen corps rehearse. Staff in the stands and right on the sidelines. Has any of you seen that kind of exuberant display from staff during rehearsal run-through? Come to think of it, I don't recall a single time, ever, where staff was so animated at our local show. I'm sure they're a little more hyped for major regional shows.

Finals are different or obvious reasons.

Anyone else know of staff going bananas at a local show? In fact, they've sat next to me at our local show and I don't recall any being obnoxious in a long, long time.

One thing's for sure, having staff down on the field is the perfect solution for all, and a lot better than the days when the recording mics were right above their heads. Several of those early years were obnoxious with staff cheering on the sidelines and drowning out the corps for all time.

Hop actually gained a couple of points with me for bemoaning the lack of crowd response, because I remember the most recent time and he clearly was feeling "bad" for his kids.

I think the judge is way off base. This was the reason for creating Cesario's position in the judging criteria meetings, IIRC. I'd bet that judge was either just spouting off or is distinctly out of touch with Cesario's vision of show production. There's an "engagement" aspect to judging, too.

And, to drag you back on thread before we kick your team's fannies this weekend, the "core issue" is the staff's reaction to shows and how it can get dislocated from the crowd's reactions and, thus, become a distraction.

I think there's an interesting angle to this, though. I, like many of you, have seen corps rehearse. Staff in the stands and right on the sidelines. Has any of you seen that kind of exuberant display from staff during rehearsal run-through? Come to think of it, I don't recall a single time, ever, where staff was so animated at our local show. I'm sure they're a little more hyped for major regional shows.

Finals are different or obvious reasons.

Anyone else know of staff going bananas at a local show? In fact, they've sat next to me at our local show and I don't recall any being obnoxious in a long, long time.

One thing's for sure, having staff down on the field is the perfect solution for all, and a lot better than the days when the recording mics were right above their heads. Several of those early years were obnoxious with staff cheering on the sidelines and drowning out the corps for all time.

What, is it football season? I want the pain to end. Is Tressel available?