Staff Performance Reactions at Finals

Dude, I don't doubt it. And it showed. I've told you before, "Incredible".

In an activity that promotes such avante guard concepts as competitive, interpretive drum corps, to have a staff member frolicking around on the sidelines is tantamount to the ballet director standing on stage and applauding for his dancers.

I agree with all of those irritations you listed. Just, everybody, shut up and let me be engrossed in the show.

I don't think that's asking too much. Really.

LFMAO @ "frolicking"

staff can do what they want on the track.

but (IMHO) if they're in the stands next to paying spectators -- they should shut up and let fans enjoy the show without their running commentary (which quite often has nothing at all to do with the performance that's going on) . it's rude for anyone (fan or staff ) to be disruptive during a corps' performance.

• Like 2

staff can do what they want on the track.

but (IMHO) if they're in the stands next to paying spectators -- they should shut up and let fans enjoy the show without their running commentary (which quite often has nothing at all to do with the performance that's going on) . it's rude for anyone (fan or staff ) to be disruptive during a corps' performance.

Unless they react purely as fans and not staff.

When Rocketman and I ran Nightfire in '96, I was always up in the stands to watch the show...and I always reacted as a fan, not as the corps director.

'Course, we always went on first, and in exhibition only...but still...

Unless they react purely as fans and not staff.

When Rocketman and I ran Nightfire in '96, I was always up in the stands to watch the show...and I always reacted as a fan, not as the corps director.

'Course, we always went on first, and in exhibition only...but still...

Exception noted and I agree.

But that's apparently a very hard thing to do for some staff members of some corps :-\

These two posts annoy me the MOST. If your attention span is too short that you're paying more attention to the staff going bonkers than paying attention to the actual show, then maybe you should go watch the Opera instead.

It's a DRUM CORPS SHOW. It's not meant to be an uptight example of keeping the crowd quiet. People are meant to go crazy, the staff included. I enjoy when the staff goes nuts during a show. It gives me goosebumps knowing they appreciate what they're MMs are doing.

When I marched, the hornline struggled to try to get that reaction from Gino Cipriani and the very first time he did it, we were even more motivated to have even better shows.

Sorry I "annoyed' you with my OPINION. It isn't a short attention span (I don't have one) as much as the over the top antics is what would be distracting. Especially if the staff is cheering on a corps that may not be performing well and they want to "pull" a good show out of them. It's not only distracting but a bit disingenuous too. I don't agree that people or staff is meant to go crazy. Staff should be more professional than that. I'll qualify my opinion in that I am thinking in terms of "crazy over-the-top-antics" as I have witnessed in the past. Years ago a very creative & talented drill writer (who's name pops up on DCP often) who was very animated and excited on the track in front of his corps' (plural) was asked to cool by DCI, to tone it down and be less visible about his excitement that at one time bordered on coaching. I don't mind enthusiam. I don't mind cheering and supporting your corps. I do mind it when it becomes the show more than the show is. As a few other have mentioned here. Again, just my opinion. Maybe I internalize more.

Sorry I "annoyed' you with my OPINION. It isn't a short attention span (I don't have one) as much as the over the top antics is what would be distracting. Especially if the staff is cheering on a corps that may not be performing well and they want to "pull" a good show out of them. It's not only distracting but a bit disingenuous too. I don't agree that people or staff is meant to go crazy. Staff should be more professional than that. I'll qualify my opinion in that I am thinking in terms of "crazy over-the-top-antics" as I have witnessed in the past. Years ago a very creative & talented drill writer (who's name pops up on DCP often) who was very animated and excited on the track in front of his corps' (plural) was asked to cool by DCI, to tone it down and be less visible about his excitement that at one time bordered on coaching. I don't mind enthusiam. I don't mind cheering and supporting your corps. I do mind it when it becomes the show more than the show is. As a few other have mentioned here. Again, just my opinion. Maybe I internalize more.

George Z. and this same happened in early WGI BUT I would give anything to see it and him again. He played the game and also knew how to engage., and yes the audience not only loved his product but him and all his antics as well did his members .

I agree with staff yelling things out in silent parts of the show or sitting in a seat they didnt pay for and annoying someone BUT a normal show of excitement and approval, bring it on. As a member it's much better than seeing a stone faced , non emotional, questionable on approval staff member. JMO

Edited by GUARDLING

I've listened to and seen all kinds of things over 40 years in this stupid activity and, you know what?, I've learned not to care.

You want to act like an idiot on the sidelines so that, 40 years later, I can still see you acting like an idiot on the sidelines? Fine.

You wanna come up in the stands and sit next to me to watch? Fine. Sit down and shut up. You've seen the show. I haven't.

Great show.

• Like 2

I've listened to and seen all kinds of things over 40 years in this stupid activity and, you know what?, I've learned not to care.

You want to act like an idiot on the sidelines so that, 40 years later, I can still see you acting like an idiot on the sidelines? Fine.

You wanna come up in the stands and sit next to me to watch? Fine. Sit down and shut up. You've seen the show. I haven't.

Great show.

Unfortunately we don't make the rules in a public place. I've seen over decades the over the top staff person and also the rude, very rude audience member justify what they do or don't do and the excuse is " WELL I PAID FOR A TICKET" well, imo, the cost of a ticket does't pay for the right to just do what one wants either. If you are a staff person in the audience then there should respect for those around you ,even if the same is not given back by the person next to you. jmo

Edited by GUARDLING

Unfortunately we don't make the rules in a public place. I've seen over decades the over the top staff person and also the rude, very rude audience member justify what they do or don't do and the excuse is " WELL I PAID FOR A TICKET" well, imo, the cost of a ticket does't pay for the right to just do what one wants either. If you are a staff person in the audience then there should respect for those around you ,even if the same is not given back by the person next to you. jmo

If staff members were always conscious of the fact that they are the face of their corps (as much or more so than the performers) there would never be a problem.

If staff members were always conscious of the fact that they are the face of their corps (as much or more so than the performers) there would never be a problem.

This is very true. I have also said this to parents of members of corps, guards and bands. I also have been forced to fire some staff members and dismissed kids from a group for social media rants.

I think sometimes it comes down to those who feel a sense of entitlement, no matter where they may sit .

Edited by GUARDLING