Troopers 2015: "Wild Horses"

I am so happy that they understand their problem. Looks like cleaning is paying off! Hopefully they'll make finals.

Scores for the Troopers are fairly parallel with their scores last year. 80.60 this time last year. Not sure that means anything.

Not sure that means anything.

Taking into account the 2015 trend for overall lower scores for everyone vs. 2014, one might deduce that the 80.05 earned last night -- exactly one year to the day they broke 80 last year -- is "worth" a bit more than the 80.6 Troop earned 365 days ago, but that is thin ice for sure.

The Troop deficit to Xmen on July 23, 2014 was 2.0 points. On July 23, 2015, it was 2.0 points. The exact same spread.

It's a new year, with new programs, new staff, new members, and everybody is judged with fresh eyes, a clean break from previous years. Except when they aren't. For an activity where the room shouts down anyone who compares scores across shows held during the same week involving the same corps, it is amazing how normal we think it is that patterns will hold -- down to the tenth of a point -- across years. You would think that normal statistical noise alone would make the 2015 distance between Xmen and Troop at least a few tenths different than the 2014 distance between them. Yet here we are, in exactly the same place. Statistically, it seems almost impossible that two different corps, with all the variables that go into a production and all the change to those variables in the course of a year, could end up with exactly the same measure of comparative difference.

You'd think that judges were bringing their preconceptions to the task. But of course that would be absurd.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

You'd think that judges were bringing their preconceptions to the task. But of course that would be absurd.

But I see Xmen as 2 points ahead. Not sure what you're trying to get at here? That the judges team up to agree to fudge the numbers so the total spread adds up perfectly to 2 points?

It's not a matter of who is ahead or behind. It's a matter of the spread being identical, 365 days apart, between the same two corps. It just reinforces the theory of competitive inertia in DCI -- the seeming immovability of objects -- despite the fact that each corps has member turnover, a completely new program -- each with its own visual/brass/guard/drum differences from 2014 -- some new staff around the edges, and other material changes. Yet here we are, one trip around the Sun and nothing has changed.

• Like 1

Is there any way to tell if the static issues with the vocalist's microphone in Atlanta hurt the Troopers' score?

I'm sure it was reflected in the GE score. There is no way to tell from the recaps. Did it affect the score? No doubt. I hope they get a back up plan in place in case it happens again. It sure bummed me out.

Is there any way to tell if the static issues with the vocalist's microphone in Atlanta hurt the Troopers' score?

Probably would have to go to the tape to find out for sure. Both GE and MA softened up compared to previous shows, and unless you want to suggest the content of the drill and music was simplified for Atlanta (it wasn't) or that the performers slipped in their execution (sure didn't seem like it), it stands to reason that the inability for the vocalist to communicate the melody of the ballad would take some of the wind out of the effect and the music analysis.

Been thinking a bit on the cause of the problem. The wireless mic worked fine during pre-show, during the duet with the trumpet. To me, that diminishes the likelihood that stadium-PA or other non-Troopers factors caused the subsequent malfunction. I'm guessing the mic itself -- or perhaps the radio reciever at the front sideline -- went haywire somehow.

I think carrying two transmitters, A and B, with a splitter to the microphone, would be good insurance. If A cuts out, switch to B.