Fan Network - Why have you forsaken me?

Eh,

I may not like every show, or I may not watch every show all the time, BUT I like to collect this bit of history ( Marching Arts History).

I would also like to collect marching band history. It's just one of those things I want to see preserved for posterity.

With the FN, I USED to be able to have a repository of much of the DCI shows, but now... Looks like we need to take matters into our own hands a little bit more.

This made me wonder. With the current (or at least the last 10-15 years) rage being the practice of many school and civic groups burying their own "time capsules," is the day going to come where the opening of these capsules will be done with an accompanying team of lawyers present? "Nope...can't divulge this. Nope...can't show this. Nope...this has to be eliminated. Nope...never should have been placed in here in the first place...Nope...Nope...Nope..."

Scary to think of where we're going....

Well it would appear that "rights" issues are in the news lately...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/pharrell-williams-s-lawyer-threatens-youtube-with-1b-lawsuit-1.2882234

Yeah I've been waiting for that shoe to drop. What YouTube gets away with when it comes to user-posted videos of pop music and related genres makes DCI's Fan Network look like a waste of time as a ripe target, though DCI is certainly easier to intimidate than deep-pocketed Google. Google will actually turn around and fight legally. DCI can't afford that as we've established here.

Does anyone know if Music For All/Bands Of America has pulled any content... if they have not what's the difference?

If they haven't, they may not be as proactive and safe as they should be.

This made me wonder. With the current (or at least the last 10-15 years) rage being the practice of many school and civic groups burying their own "time capsules," is the day going to come where the opening of these capsules will be done with an accompanying team of lawyers present? "Nope...can't divulge this. Nope...can't show this. Nope...this has to be eliminated. Nope...never should have been placed in here in the first place...Nope...Nope...Nope..."

Scary to think of where we're going....

Truly...

normal_dongerIdiocracyV2.jpg

cKGdR.jpg

Idiocracy.jpg

• Like 3

Incidentally, the MPAA and the RIAA are going after "EVERYBODY" ( $1 to You know who) these days and especially this week....

The MPAA has been sparing with Google ( both the search Engine and Youtube) over take down requests...

The latest thing is that Google is refusing the MPAA's request to blacklist 'pirate site' homepages because these requests are overly broad... https://torrentfreak.com/google-refuses-mpaa-request-blacklist-pirate-site-homepages-141123/

Basically, the MPAA wants everyone to be their eyes and ears...

Then there's the article about the MPAA and Mississippi Attorney General's corruption in relation to Google:

http://www.dailytech.com/Mississippi+AG+Drops+AntiGoogle+Subpoena+After+Dirty+MPAA+Ties+Are+Revealed/article37014.htm

"Remember that post Google put up this week that accused the MPAA of trying to resurrect the spirit of SOPA with the help of state prosecutors (that included evidence based on some of Sony Pictures' leaked emails)? It just turned into a lawsuit -- and it's already having an affect. The search giant has updated the page to explain that it's asking federal courts to dismiss a subpoena Attorney General Jim Hood sent to Google back in October. "

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/20/google-lawsuit-jim-hood-mpaa/

MPAA & RIAA Return To Blaming Google For Their Own Inability To Innovate:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130918/00583124563/mpaa-riaa-return-to-blaming-google-their-own-inability-to-innovate.shtml

Edited by jjeffeory

I just want to throw out there the simplest hypothesis I can think of that explains this event:

- DCI didn't buy synch rights at all for at least one work in each of the shows pulled.

This leads naturally to a further hypothesis:

- DCI didn't buy synch rights in general for most stuff prior to 2000.

We know they have recently, but the reason we know that is that sometimes it isn't granted and the material has to be blocked out. The arrival of Dan Acheson just prior to the time when everything seems to be covered would suggest he might have been more of a stickler than his predecessor and actually started paying for current material at least. The fact that DCI used to sell videos at finals same-day (when they presumably didn't have synch rights yet) also gives us a clue that maybe their compliance wasn't absolutely meticulous.

All of this may seem too insane to consider, but DCI is run by corps directors whose first interest is always saving money for their corps. And of course DCI staff would have no choice but to claim they are in compliance using the vaguest terminology they can find (like "due diligence"), which is pretty much what they have always done.

It just fits the evidence in front of us, that's all. But hopefully we'll find out more soon.

"But Brawndo has electrolytes. That's what plants need."

• Like 1

I just want to throw out there the simplest hypothesis I can think of that explains this event:

- DCI didn't buy synch rights at all for at least one work in each of the shows pulled.

This leads naturally to a further hypothesis:

- DCI didn't buy synch rights in general for most stuff prior to 2000.

We know they have recently, but the reason we know that is that sometimes it isn't granted and the material has to be blocked out. The arrival of Dan Acheson just prior to the time when everything seems to be covered would suggest he might have been more of a stickler than his predecessor and actually started paying for current material at least. The fact that DCI used to sell videos at finals same-day (when they presumably didn't have synch rights yet) also gives us a clue that maybe their compliance wasn't absolutely meticulous.

All of this may seem too insane to consider, but DCI is run by corps directors whose first interest is always saving money for their corps. And of course DCI staff would have no choice but to claim they are in compliance using the vaguest terminology they can find (like "due diligence"), which is pretty much what they have always done.

It just fits the evidence in front of us, that's all. But hopefully we'll find out more soon.

You realize that pre-2000 this wasn't an issue because the laws were different because streaming didn't exist, right ?

You realize that pre-2000 this wasn't an issue because the laws were different because streaming didn't exist, right ?

Yes, but if that's the issue then that suggests that DCI never went back and got streaming rights for the older material before streaming it, which would have been a huge project. That may be because of a difference of legal opinion between DCI and the rights holders about whether the language in the older contract covers streaming. That's one scenario. In other words, DCI thinks streaming is covered under the old contracts, the rights holders disagree, and the C&D letter results.

But given that nothing was ever blocked pre-streaming and DCI sold VHS tapes same day for at least a few years, one explanation is that DCI only started acquiring synch rights in the last few years.

Tinfoil hat time:

Consider also that:

- On FN they list the city where a show occurred repetitively for each show, but not the name of the show. Are they trying to hide content info?

- Content info comes generally from corps websites, this website and WikiPedia. DCI.org/FN rarely bring it up, except occasionally.

- They have so little resources for anything, but they block YouTube videos aggressively even though these might actually promote DCI

- They do no public promotion outside the existing fan base. Is DCI actually avoiding outside attention?

COINCIDENCE? I THINK SO. But hey, you never know.

/Tinfoil hat

I just think after 33 pages of this it has to be on the list of possibilities, that's all.

Edited by Pete Freedman