Fan Network - Why have you forsaken me?

DCI got no warning.

what is so hard for people to ####### understand?

DCI was given no notice this was coming. it was do it this second or else.

They could have told us afterword instead of just acting like it didn't happen. I use Spotify, and if you have been following the news lately, there was a huge thing about Taylor Swift and her taking her music off the streaming service. They took her music off at her request, but guess what? They actually told us instead acting like nothing happened. They didn't wait until they got tons of emails about it, they right up and told us. It didn't affect me too much because I don't really listen to her, but it did to a lot of people. I just think DCI could have handled it A LOT better.

They could have told us afterword instead of just acting like it didn't happen. I use Spotify, and if you have been following the news lately, there was a huge thing about Taylor Swift and her taking her music off the streaming service. They took her music off at her request, but guess what? They actually told us instead acting like nothing happened. They didn't wait until they got tons of emails about it, they right up and told us. It didn't affect me too much because I don't really listen to her, but it did to a lot of people. I just think DCI could have handled it A LOT better.

DCI may be waiting for further information from lawyers concerning future negotiations, rights, costs, etc., before they notify us. I don't know, but I would give them some time. They are not as big an organization as Spotify, and they may have been told to say nothing until further notice from publishers, who may still be viewing other material for possible removal.

As a consumer I don't feel cheated or misinformed. Most of my $69 per year to FN are for the day-to-day coverage and video webcasts. The historical stuff was wonderful, and I did use it for my marching band tech class for many years, but as a musician I side with the publishers and composers and I want to see DCI square-up with them in a fair way that is mutually beneficial to both sides.

DCI is a much smaller organization and will need some time to know how to respond to this. They will need lawyers to meet with and renegotiate contracts with these publishers if they wish to regain control of most of the lost content.

Here's another thing to consider--because none of us has all the answers:

1. When the licensing and permission was granted back in the day (if it was at all), it may be that the mechanical license was only for audio and video DVD sales and did not include ONLINE sales.

2. It may be that DCI is in the process of renegotiating the ONLINE portion of the mechanical license.

3. And as I said before, there are likely instances where no permission was granted and no contract was negotiated, which is why those shows would be yanked and may never return. Who knows.

• Like 2

Yup. You need to read the post again because you're missing something.

I want 1-12 place corps on Bluray. Then I want 13-25 on DVD. Finally I want the FN for the current year stuff.

My reasoning is that DCI doesn't produce 13-25 place on Bluray but they do produce those on DVD. Otherwise, I'd really just prefer to have everything on bluray. Hopefully that makes more sense now.

What I did was simply ask for something that they could now without any changes to what they do.

except even with that you get stuff cut out due to licensing

Since so many people here are telling us they know all about copyrights, we should be able to get answers to a few questions:

a. Which publisher is this? Should be easy enough to tell just from the music involved.

b. What is the nature of this new demand? Is it really "cease and desist"? Or is it a change to the cost of compliance that makes it impractical, like we have had with certain video licenses for hard copies? Or some other change in terms?

c. If a publisher is making a new demand, it should apply to their music wherever/whenever it is used. Why would it not apply to any shows after 1999?

I wasn't given a name. Looking at the options for the big names...my hunch is Universal.

the nature of the demand is they are interpreting the laws in a way that nulls out any existing agreements, and now to get new agreements, it's going to cost a ton of money

c. I don't know. that's probably where the lawyers are involved. My hunch is the current laws have certain dates on them, and the company wants it to go back and cover anything ever done.

Nope real problem is Al Gore invented the Internet and now everythig is out in the open with the right Google search words...

it's not just popularity...publishers pay people to do nothing but search the internet all day long to look for unlicensed usage

• Like 1

Amen brothers and sisters amen.....

Always thought drum corps (individual corps and the activity itself) is one good "Oh crap" from going away.

DCA FN has a grand total of 2 shows prior to 2000s. Understand it's because DCA is trying to make sure all legalities are correct and with a limited budget. Granted there are less older Sr corps vids but there are more than one would expect.

well there's a few issues.

first, DCA has had so many different companies videotape shows that several aren't even in business anymore...so trying to track down the master tapes is a challenge. then there's licensing. then there's the fact that DCA never did videos until 1988

so then to satisfy your need for info, you're willing to let DCi put a statement out that gets their ##### sued out of existence?

DCI may be waiting for further information from lawyers concerning future negotiations, rights, costs, etc., before they notify us. I don't know, but I would give them some time. They are not as big an organization as Spotify, and they may have been told to say nothing until further notice from publishers, who may still be viewing other material for possible removal.

This.

Spotify's last valuation was over $3 Billion. And they are in the business of media streaming. That's it. One business and one business only - streaming. Revenues for 2012 were reportedly in the area of $500 Million.

Compared that to DCI. A non-profit that reported total revenues in 2012 of $9,5 Million. Of which streaming is just one element. Is it fair to have the same expectations from DCI's responsiveness to legal matters?

• Like 1

As a consumer I don't feel cheated or misinformed. Most of my $69 per year to FN are for the day-to-day coverage and video webcasts. The historical stuff was wonderful, and I did use it for my marching band tech class for many years, but as a musician I side with the publishers and composers and I want to see DCI square-up with them in a fair way that is mutually beneficial to both sides.

DCI is a much smaller organization and will need some time to know how to respond to this. They will need lawyers to meet with and renegotiate contracts with these publishers if they wish to regain control of most of the lost content.

Here's another thing to consider--because none of us has all the answers:

1. When the licensing and permission was granted back in the day (if it was at all), it may be that the mechanical license was only for audio and video DVD sales and did not include ONLINE sales.

2. It may be that DCI is in the process of renegotiating the ONLINE portion of the mechanical license.

3. And as I said before, there are likely instances where no permission was granted and no contract was negotiated, which is why those shows would be yanked and may never return. Who knows.

the big key here is lawyers.

big name publishers have no problem dragging something through the courts for YEARS, racking up zillions in legal fees. DCi doesn't have that kind of cash. So a publisher will gladly string things out because they know if the cash dries up, the other side gives up and they win

• Like 1