Fan Network - Why have you forsaken me?

"We don't care."... How do you conclude that? Things are in a state of flux and are changing. I'm sure they didn't intend to pull all those videos. They pretty much had no choice, right?

Unfortunately you speak too logically for some on here that are not concerned with reality and facts. They would rather #### and moan about DCI since it is the devil, after all.

Or a case of :" who cares if some DCI fans didn't read " the fine print" on a DCI purchase, and is now " Scrooged ".. Tough luck, we don't care". As one laughing poster above suggested : just" save your money and go buy something else" from DCI."

To be honest, I don't read the fine print. I usually sign up for the Fan Network, confirm I have renewed access and then spend the rest of the time being really excited about seeing live drum corps shows over the Internet.

That being said, it's a non-profit. My payment helps them in some way. I like the fact that they exist and that I can watch live streaming shows over the summer when to travel to see a show in the U.S. would be much more expensive.

I wouldn't want any legal action to result in a "no DCI." I also will not ask for any refund because they are a non-profit. I didn't ask for one with the first broadcast of Finals last year either.

Edited by Lincoln

. Netflix swaps stuff out all the time, including popular stuff, based on licensing fees.

I think the key word here is " swaps ".

What is DCI " swapping " here ? I only see " deletions ", MikeN.

Its like a magazine annual subscription that has 300 pages, and 15 writers each month. It has had an increase in the pages and writers the last few years with annual subscriptions, and last month had the usual 300 pages, 15 writers. But today, without notice. you open up the current month's magazine and find 50 pages, 5 writers. So yes, it can be expected that one will reevaluate their subscription of the magazine when it comes up for renewal at the end of the term, especially since you wern't notified of any change before opening up the magazine this month, and assurance of a future price reduction, nor a " swap " substitution of something of comparable value even offered to you, the loyal magazine subscriber. The notion that DCI does not need to offer any more clarification, info on this is perhaps legally correct. But it is a PR disaster for a business to believe this is all they need to do with this, this weekend. Thats why I believe DCI will be provding us more info as soon as they figure out what to do. Only then, will I ( and most others ) be able to make an informed decision on renewing FN when it comes up for renewal.

Edited by BRASSO

I think the key word here is " swaps ".

What is DCI " swapping " here ? I only see " deletions ".

Its like a magazine subscription that has 300 pages, and 15 writers each month. It has had an increase in the pages and writers the last few years with annual subscriptions, and last month had the usual 300 pages, 15 writers. But today, without notice. you open up the magazine and find 50 pages, 5 writers. So yes, it can be expected that one will reevaluate their subscription of the magazine when it comes up for renewal at the end of the term, especially since you wern't notified of any change before opening up the magazine this month, and assurance of a future price reduction, nor a " swap " substitution of something of comparable value even offered to you, the loyal magazine subscriber.

It was an example. Not a literal swap. The amount of content fluctuates.

This is not a black and white, cookie cutter issue that can be easily compared.

However, your magazine theory works. Because in the case of your magazine reference, you don't get a refund, because there is no requirement for content, but you have the right to choose to renew or not.

So if you believe your magazine theory, why complain about the FN?

To be honest, I don't read the fine print. I usually sign up for the Fan Network, confirm I have renewed access and then spend the rest of the time being really excited about seeing live drum corps shows over the Internet.

That being said, it's a non-profit. My payment helps them in some way. I like the fact that they exist and that I can watch live streaming shows over the summer when to travel to see a show in the U.S. would be much more expensive.

I wouldn't want any legal action to result in a "no DCI." I also will not ask for any refund because they are a non-profit. I didn't ask for one with the first broadcast of Finals last year either.

Thats a proper response to this. But you know what?.. all responses are proper, as this is a transaction of product exchange between seller and buyer, and involves money for purchase that really does not involve us. If you or I choose to renew ( or not renew ) that is of course a personal choice... a decision either way that is as proper as can be. I think you'd agree with me on this as well. How people spend their money, is not really our concern. So I can envision some DCI fans doing exactly as you intend to do too.

Edited by BRASSO

So if you believe your magazine theory, why complain about the FN?

Principally because of the way it has been handled up to now. ( aside from the other concerns with it ) The notion that as DCI is deleting all these dozens of archive show content, that they can not simultaneously be sending out an email notice to current subscribers, may not seem possible or neccessary to you ( or a few others on here), but it does to me. if you or others want to lower the bar for satisfactory business practices ( Profit, Non Profit ) for DCI, thats your perogative. But if others like me think this has been handled extremely poorly, please allow us the full measure of " complaint " with this. Some, perhaps most, DCI FN subscribers STILL have received no notification from DCI in their emails that their paid subscription today is far worse than the one they had last week at this time. Now, maybe when they find out the shows are gone and without notice, they'll be perfectly fine with this. But some won't be. And they will " complain " too. Some, no doubt to DCI itself regarding the poor manner this has been handled so far. And I empathize with them on this. The lack of a proper notice to subscribers itself, needs a further explanation from DCI in my opinion. Its of course DCI's choice to not provide such proper and neccessary correspondence with their current loyal DCI FN subscribers on this if they choose too,, and then of course live with that decision too..

Edited by BRASSO

I am not asking for a refund for this service at this time. I may or may not choose to renew my subcription in June. And it appears to be a rush decision to pull these shows off the site. And while it doesn't state specifically what shows will and will not be available when you sign up, for those of us that have subscribed since it began, to find the videos pulled, without any sort of eplanation really bites. I have always said I thought fannetwork was worth $100 a year, assuming it works right. With that I expect tech support to take every effort to keep the service running and respond when people have issues, which they don't always do. I personally know someone that had issues with the site, and never got any response bac from tech support for 3 weeks. And then tech support never got the problem fixed for them If that had been my problem I would have been irate. Again that is such bad customer service from DCI, a trend that has been escalating ever since DA took the positiion.

From a business standpoint, why wouldn't DCI want to release a statement on the front page of thefannetwork? Dear subscribers, due to some copyright issues, some videos have been removed from thefannetwork. We will be working to restore as much content as possible.

But putting that up would require decent management, which DCI seems to be failing at. There might not be any way around these copyright issues, but don't we deserve to know what is going on? DCi just needs to be up front about what is going on. While a lot of us aren't going to be happy about the situation, we do understand issues arise, as they have over the last 8 years or so. I am not concerned as much from a legal point, so much as wanting to be a satisfied customer. I'm not happy they have to pull shows but I do understand, and would be satisfied if tney were up front about the situation. But then I guess that requires having an eecutive director that has a clue about customer service, which is definitely not the case.

• Like 1

The way it was handled May have had to do with making changes quick to avoid possible legal issues. Notice thus also occurred while the DCI offices and most working there are in Chicago, and it may have been a situation of needing to act rapidly and sorting our the mess later.

I think it's better to be proactive and answer questions later, considering those that are subscribers willingly signed up for the program where this has always been a possibility.

As for those that don't read small print or terms of agreement, blaming that on DCI is absurd.

I guess they should have kept the videos up and told the FN subscribers, "oh, btw, we're pulling content-which we can do whenever we need to, but we're telling you first so you don't complain about it" instead of being proactive to protect DCI AND any corps in those videos from legal action.

I am not concerned as much from a legal point, so much as wanting to be a satisfied customer. I'm not happy they have to pull shows but I do understand, and would be satisfied if tney were up front about the situation. But then I guess that requires having an eecutive director that has a clue about customer service, which is definitely not the case.

So it's more important to you to be happy than having to possibly see thousands, if not millions paid in copyright and legal fees?

Wow.

I thought I've seen some elitist views before on here, but you my friend take the cake.

Yes, Dan Acheson dropped the ball in trying to protect Madison, SCV, Blue Devils, and all the other corps and DCI from having to face legal action, which could include fines and jail time.

If you're going to get upset and be mad at how DCI handled this, maybe learn something about copyright and you'd understand that major issues arise overnight and often have to be dealt with in unconventional ways.

Edited by tesmusic