Fan Network - Why have you forsaken me?

I do have sympathies for DCI in this. Its something they may not desire to do, but are legally required to do. I do get that. But my biggest sympathies still lie with the FN subscribers. I too utilize the streaming of the older shows a lot, and feel the product is severely diminished now as a result of this action taken. The good news here I suppose is that these are not long lasting purchases. They are annual subscriptions. Sort of like magazine subscriptions. If we choose to let the subsciption run out, thats an option too, I suppose.

I agree. And I do sympathize with subscribers as well, I'm just saying it's not something that's going away, and refunds aren't going to happen.

If people want to stream there are ways to do that still, maybe not on FN, but there are places, and they're free, and it's not youtube...

refunds aren't going to happen.

You could be right... but you really don't know this for certain right now. DCI has given refunds before on services advertised, but not delivered upon as advertised, and marketed. ( live show feeds that crapped out, for example. DCI gave full and complete refunds,even though about half the show came thru live fine. So there is some precedent here).

Edited by BRASSO

Yes, I've heard this rationale many times, and the math makes sense as you present it of course.

So, this Fan Network thing, which began as a storehouse to replace the cost of hard media has now morphed into a live-feed medium, with only a short-term library of variable length to see the most recently recorded shows, or those for which publishers have not yet figured out how to press their contracts. We know, of course, that eventually they will.

Because the average tenure of today's drum corps fan is only 3 1/2 years, it dovetails the argument that, essentially, very few of today's fans want to watch legacy shows beyond their participation in the activity. And, for those that do, DCI offers hard media for purchase.

OK, got it. TFN for live streaming, and DCI.org for watching legacy shows.

maybe for legacy. we'll probably have to wait for the court room battles to figure that out.

I mean DCi hired a lawyer just for this stuff. granted he's connected to the activity and probably is cutting a break on the fees, but it won't be cheap.

I used the Fan Network mostly for the live streaming of shows. I guess I'm also one of the 10% who used it to access older shows. Even though I have them on DVD, the fact that the shows were just a couple of clicks away made it very convenient - particularly when I wanted to see a show that someone on DCP was referring to.

IMO this rights thing is so out of control that it will take years to sort out if by chance someone has the time and money to do so.

This has already affected shows posted on WGI and someone above referred to it affecting DCA. I see it affecting so many other things that it's almost as if any single possible recording of a live musical event will be affected all the way down to parents recording their child's first concert and posting it on YouTube only to have it yanked down because the music used has the publishers watching for violations.

Music is supposed to be fun but everyone wants to be, and thinks their going to be as rich as Madonna.

I blame Taylor Swift and her stupid "music activist" BS.

Just spoutin' off here, but how long has streaming live events been around in DCI? Is that amount of data really sufficient to make a business decision?

But you can just ignore that question because it's totally irrelevant in light of your later observation that technology changes faster than the law. Taken to its extreme, TFN is a TV station. If you want to re-watch something you're gonna need to buy hard media.

It's an unnatural and inefficient imbalance that the law is behind technology that, based on all other technology advances, will be rectified with time.

Taken to an extreme one could see that, due to publishing costs, DCI is reduced to a live-performance only activity.

Of course, it will instead spawn some other solution we cannot yet see. Like drum-corps specific composers, maybe.

streaming that I know of since 08. I got the info from 4 different sources within DCI.

and look at the law and the internet in general....they're not hand in hand. with the way our legal system plods along, til something becomes law, the technology has already changed

You could be right... but you really don't know this for certain right now. DCI has given refunds before on services advertised, but not delivered upon as advertised, and marketed. ( live show feeds that crapped out, for example. DCI gave full and complete refunds,even though about half the show came thru live fine. So there is some precedent here).

Did you cut and paste that sentence from our discussion about PC and BD?

:tounge2:

True, but this isn't the same topic as a live stream crapping out. This is a content issue, which is spelled out in the terms of the FN subscription. DCI has no obligation in this topic.

Just as they don't give refunds if a show is rained out, because it's in the fine print, and on the tickets.

This is very disappointing, and will probably end up costing DCI some $$$ in the future. I understand the issues with copyright laws, and know it could possibly get worse, now with the new media formats of live streaming, and on demand. However, what I am even more upset about is the fact that we would even have to contacdt DCI to find out what is going on. There should be something on the front page of thefannetwork website explaining what is going on, and which shows had to be pulled, and whether it looks like full shows, or partial shows will be returned to thefannetwork.org. This is such poor management from the DCi team. Ever since DA took over the DCi office in the late 90s, customer service has just gone right out the window. And it has gotten severely worse the last 5 or 6 years. It used to be the customer service team at DCI was passionate about drum corps, just like the fans. And if they didn't know the answers, they would get the information and return phone calls. I do understand that it is possible that this issue may not have been able to have been prevented. But as a paying customer for a service, I think we deserve the notification that there have been some problems arising with our service, along with an explanation. Whether it be an email, or something when we log into thefannetwork. But to have to email the DCI office for an explanation is absolutely ridiculous. They had time to pull the videos offline, it wouldn't have taken but another 2 minutes to put up a short eplanation of why. We definitely need someone new in the executive director spot for DCI.

I blame Taylor Swift and her stupid "music activist" BS.

I would actually go back to Metallica and others fighting Napstercand other sites around 1998-2001. That's when these changes actually started to take shape and be recognized.