Blue Knights 2015

Not sure I'm pleased to hear there will be no Tuba sound in there. That low end is quite foundational to chord structure and keeps pieces from sounding bright or top heavy. I'm sure I'll have to wait and see, but before I hear anything I am not a fan of the proposition.

To my ears, all corps sound bright except for Crown. Their hornline does a phenomenal job keeping a rich and dark sound. Yes, BK will probably sound a little brighter, but they already do regardless. Without woodwinds, it's a lot easier for an ensemble to sound bright.

To my ears, all corps sound bright except for Crown. Their hornline does a phenomenal job keeping a rich and dark sound. Yes, BK will probably sound a little brighter, but they already do regardless. Without woodwinds, it's a lot easier for an ensemble to sound bright.

That's interesting as I think Crown has one of the brightest sounds in the activity. Very resonant, but bright. If you get up close when they play loud, it's with a ton of compressions and edge, but they match so darn well player to player that is very balanced and from a distance has a smooth and refined sound. It's a really great concept and approach and is also very pleasing to the ear.

Dark and bright are such relative terms to our ears anyway and I'm sure BK will do an incredible job of blending the front ensemble with voice and brass to create a great moment. Their percussion folks, especially with the electronic expertise on that staff, will create a killer version!

• Like 2

Or.... Give it time see what they do with it.... Kinda silly to speculate what not to like until we hear it. Just saying:)

It doesn't take a well-trained ear to know that it will be missing bottom without tubas, and I agree with the poster of the comment about hoping they don't substitute tuba with synth.

It's an interesting gimmick, but I'll need some convincing that it will work.

Hey everyone, no synth will be replacing the bass. There is a cool electronic effect with low end, but it's very brief. I hope this clarifies things for everyone who isn't a big fan of electronics replacing voices!

• Like 1

Hey everyone, no synth will be replacing the bass. There is a cool electronic effect with low end, but it's very brief. I hope this clarifies things for everyone who isn't a big fan of electronics replacing voices!

Then I hope it's not a very long part of the show.

As singers the Beatles actually sang from the baritone voice through tenor, that being said, their songs were not mid or top heavy when singing with instruments. I sincerely hope they're trying to justify simply based in singing voices because that eliminates other things they did as a band besides singing.

Agreed. The prospect of a synth bringing the low end and lots of narration is not an appeasing thought.

iSteve51 addressed the issue of low end synth, but I didn't say anything about "lots of narration". I simply said "some narration" mixed in with the piece and I should add that is pure speculation on my part based on what I heard of the music.

Of course, whether some narration is lots of narration is subject to personal opinion. BK had some narration last season, but I, personally, don't think it was lots of narration.

Edited by Herk

iSteve51

Of course, whether some narration is lots of narration is subject to personal opinion. BK had some narration last season, but I, personally, don't think it was lots of narration.

I thought they had well used narration so I won't have an issue with some.

I assume everybody is prepared for the inevitable Wizard of Oz jokes...

"If ever oh ever a wiz there was,

the Wizard of Oz is one because,

because, because, because, because, becaaaaaaause...

because..."

*repeat from the first because*

Following up to my own comment...

Could "because" also wind up being spelled "BKause?"

"BKOZ?" (Note to self: there's probably no room in the show to add Wizard of Oz references. As far as I know.)