Blue Knights 2015

Just like the Cadets' narration, BK's narration was largely serious and would've sounded awful if narration was done like Crown 2013 or Cadets 2007

Crown 2013 is the best use of narration in drum corps to date.

That's completely different?

No it's not?

Crown 2013 is the best use of narration in drum corps to date.**

**My opinion

FTFY. It may have been used better than any other corps in the way it was incorporated, but the voice acting in the ballad was pretty bad to my ears.

No it's not?

Yes it is. I'm talking about TALKING. You're talking about PLAYING.

He's talking about whether the entertainment provided - the entire package - should be fully-generated by the members, as opposed to incorporating professional, studio-quality work. It goes to the heart of why people go to live-performance at all.

• Like 1

He's talking about whether the entertainment provided - the entire package - should be fully-generated by the members, as opposed to incorporating professional, studio-quality work. It goes to the heart of why people go to live-performance at all.

I understand that. But if the narration isn't going to sound like it's professionally done, I'd rather not hear it. For me, I personally don't care if narration is done in a studio or not. It's narration.

As for using a synth or speaker to play a recording of someone's solo or something, I'm completely against that because it's going to both sound awful, and goes against the corps' main point.

I'm fine with narration because it's just a small side piece of the show! Corps didn't originally form to talk. It was an additional tool that was added for corps to use and I treat it as such.

Edited by Cappybara

Just like the Cadets' narration, BK's narration was largely serious and would've sounded awful if narration was done like Crown 2013 or Cadets 2007.

Crown 2013 is the best use of narration in drum corps to date.**

**My opinion

FTFY. It may have been used better than any other corps in the way it was incorporated, but the voice acting in the ballad was pretty bad to my ears.

(My added emphasis in bold.)

You "fixed" my post by specifying that what I said was an opinion, even though: (a) that was self-evident, and (b) I was responding to your post offering an opinion that likewise (and correctly) didn't waste space identifying itself as such.

I think that qualifies as irony.

I'm fine with narration because it's just a small side piece of the show! Corps didn't originally form to talk. It was an additional tool that was added for corps to use and I treat it as such.

Corps didn't originally have contras or pits, either. If something is part of the performance, I want it done live.

I'd be more interested to hear the Peter Gabriel version of it. I love the original, but the Scratch My Back edition is much more densely scored, and includes some great original parts. Bluecoats also used his version of "Flume" a couple of years ago. Now if I could only convince someone to use his cover of "Mirrorball," "My Body is a Cage," or "Heroes," I'd be set.

Yes, yes, and yes. We are definitely of one mind there. Those covers are just incredible.

I'm all in. LOVE Peter Gabriel and I think the "Scratch My Back" and "I'll Scratch Yours" concept was a stroke of genius. Too bad it didn't work out exactly as he had hoped.