Reasons for decrease in audience over the decades?

Nicely done, hairbear!

First of all, I hope more take the time to post here and join the discussion. With any longer dialogue, patterns DO emerge. Those patterns tell us much more than any one opinion. As stated earlier, the biggest challenge could be technology. Unfortunately, there is NOTHING to slow its growth and pervasiveness in our lives. Geez, enjoying its benefits even becomes cheaper over time! The world has changed since the good ole days. We adjust to it, or become less a factor in these daily lives.

I have been a huge college football fan since about 1964. Labor Day Weekend, with its first games of the season, including a few great match-ups, has become an important time for serious college football fans. Technology brings it into my home like never before. I choose to stay home and enjoy, BUT with a laptop sitting on my legs showing drum corps. It works! Not to mention the savings and convenience over enjoying EITHER product in person. Honestly, I don't plan to change next Labor Day Weekend.

Maybe, in some eyes, I'm now one of the bad guys!

Well Fred I'm sure somewhere in your records (paper or e-docs) you have a receipt from DCA for that Labor Day Weekend laptop corps thingee... so IMO you are supporting Drum Corps.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking with it. Except we had to buy the laptop and the HDMI cord first.....

And my wife had to listen to me over and over marvel about fiber optic speed, home wi-fi, HD flat screen TV (even it not that big) , laptop vs desktop, AND that wireless $20 mouse..... so there WAS a down side. Problem with working IT for 35 years, you remember how low tech it used to be.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Thanks, Jim!

I feel better now. New sources of revenue have to be found beyond gate receipts. The reality is, I still support drum corps in many, many ways . . . .

just not so much by attendance!

By the way, I just read a report that digital downloads of music are falling. You remember that process (downloads), it's what cut a big hole into CDs. Now, it's streaming that is having a negative effect on downloads. Technology NEVER remains locked in the past.

Edited by Fred Windish

Hey we're helping DCA blaze into new territory...... :music:

Overheard a conversation at work yesterday about streaming that gave me pause. Newer employee was talking about the music service he has subscribed to (forget the name). He said he no longer has physical media and once he upgrades his PC will not have downloads. Know it's my generation but the idea of not having anything (even bits on a hard disc) physically is a bit of a mind blower.

Then you tie that into the Fan Network legality cluster bleep and you wonder if not having anything under your control is that great on an idea.....

The point I was going for, was that technology has seeped into every corner of our lives. A friend of mine once said: "The music business is cyclical. It will come around again". This was in reference to audience and attendance at live performances. At some point, maybe folks will seek out live entertainment again. In the bar band scene, I doubt it. Why? Stringent enforcement of DUI laws and smoking bans that have cut into profits, for the bar owners.This is the first question a band is asked, these days: "Do you have a following"?

Or: "How many people can you bring?" The irony is that a band can sound like crap, but if they have 100 people following them around, they'll get booked every weekend. Being good doesn't even matter, to most bar owners! DCI has a following. Simple as that. DCA needs more young folks in the corps AND in the stands.

• Like 1

Thanks, Jim!

I feel better now. New sources of revenue have to be found beyond gate receipts. The reality is, I still support drum corps in many, many ways . . . .

By the way, I just read a report that digital downloads of music are falling. You remember that process (downloads), it's what cut a big hole into CDs. Now, it's streaming that is having a negative effect on downloads. Technology NEVER remains locked in the past.

Thanks, Jim!

the fan network has been a huge boost to DCI. Maybe DCA and DCI could work out an arrangement to "share" content with each other from time to time to help each gain exposure

the fan network has been a huge boost to DCI. Maybe DCA and DCI could work out an arrangement to "share" content with each other from time to time to help each gain exposure

IMO, something of this nature is the way to proceed for DCA to generate a new stream of audience revenue ... would someone care to explain the technology needed at a stadium to tape, broadcast, and archive a show for future viewing? Does the venue have to be a "TV ready" stadium (like for an NFL or NCAA game?) ... or, is it as simple as have some real good recording equipment? ... just curious ... could a BFDTV pull this off ... they film a lot of BHOF stuff ...

:-)

• Like 1

Great timing Hair on the "how many people can you bring" as it's the Bowl Game season. Certain schools teams may not have a great record but if they can bring in the fans to pump up the local economy...... Looking at NanciDs old 60s scores I see a bunch of lower tier circuit shows where Cabs or some other name corps was doing exhibition to (presuming here) bring in more bodies. Well maybe in the future corps will partner with something else to ring in fans.

And saw last night the Mummers numbers are going down and the length of their "walk" got shortened by Philadelphia..... ain't just us.... Will have to check about how they are doing the String Band Show of Shows (if it still occurs). Wonder if any technology is used there....

And agree live performances will never be the same again, even the cheaper/free ones. Man how many concert DVDs do we have even a few cleaned up ones going back to the late 60s (The Who). We're just getting spoiled about being comfortable and watching when we want about entertainment. How many kids concerts get taped so family members can watch later instead of changing things around to make it live.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Nicely done, hairbear!

I have been a huge college football fan since about 1964. Labor Day Weekend, with its first games of the season, including a few great match-ups, has become an important time for serious college football fans.

Yeah... I have to work my viewing around the drum corps trip Labor Day weekend. LOL

I manage to catch all or part of at least a few games that weekend. A tough job, but someone has to do it. :tongue:

Well, I cannot speak to what is going on in the north, but the Southern events seem to be doing very well. Large crowds from all of the shows that I heard about and the one that I went and saw. In fact, the one that I attended looked near capacity on the home side.

I think everyone has touched on potential reasons why show populations are in decline. It seems to me that if the northern shows are seeing lower attendance, they just need to get the word out. I have seen the northern corps and they would be very appealing to a high school or college audience (in my opinion). The crowds in the south seem to be mostly parents and friends and local schools that bring groups, both DCI and DCA. It may not be the same crowd, but I do not think the people performing care who is in the stands... as long as there is someone.