Indoor Stadiums and the Future of Acoustics

Another interesting tid-bit: it's the world's only domed stadium that uses has a stationary hybrid grass field that's maintained indoors.

Fixed it.

FTFY :biggrin: (The field is not 100% natural. It's a hybrid natural/artificial fiber mix.)

Anyway interesting choice. Reading a bit further, it looks like the Kiwis have the same trouble as the Yanks when it comes to building expensive stadiums with public money that no one wants to actually use.

I prefer indoor stadiums.

!. The show will go on

2. No money will be lost

3. Corps will not be diverted without performing

4. Fans will come rather than watching the weather

5. performers are not subjected to miserable conditions

6. Guard members can perform normally

The accoustics may be less that perfect, however all things considered a less than perfect sound is better than

a cancellation or an on field disaster..

If a football stadium (especially pro) they want it louder the better (noise measurements at Seattle anyone?). Unless build for more than sports doubt if nice sound quality is wanted

Loud is good. Poor acoustics is not. KC is one of the loudest if not the loudest stadium in the NFL and it is also the best stadium in my opinion to hear drum corps. I'm sure folks that were there in 88 and 89 would concur.

To the general topic, I really hope that DCI values acoustics again over the ease of the color guard to perform and perfect conditions for the audience. It's very frustrating to teach a brass section every year and be let down by the final result. Although I did finally find a half way decent spot in Lucas Oil to watch a show. Only took 4 years.

Loud is good. Poor acoustics is not. KC is one of the loudest if not the loudest stadium in the NFL and it is also the best stadium in my opinion to hear drum corps. I'm sure folks that were there in 88 and 89 would concur.

To the general topic, I really hope that DCI values acoustics again over the ease of the color guard to perform and perfect conditions for the audience. It's very frustrating to teach a brass section every year and be let down by the final result. Although I did finally find a half way decent spot in Lucas Oil to watch a show. Only took 4 years.

Translation: your brass section failed because of LOS acoustics? :dry:

Edited by mingusmonk

Translation: your brass section failed because of LOS acoustics? :dry:

No - translation: you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. Drum corps indoors sucks.

• Like 1