"Salvation Is Created" by Pavel Tchesnokov

As I understand the story: There was a time in the past when Spirit of Atlanta was hosted by Jacksonville (AL) State University. "Salvation" had long since been used as a warm-up by the JSU "Marching Southerners" and during Spirit's stay at JSU, it became one of Spirit's corps songs.

"Salvation" by the JSU Marching Southerners.

Full Disclosure: My son is an alum of both JSU and the band. My daughter is a current JSU student and band member. And all my money also goes to JSU.

From what I understand, Scouts played it a lot as a warmup/rehearsal piece.

• Like 1

As I understand the story: There was a time in the past when Spirit of Atlanta was hosted by Jacksonville (AL) State University. "Salvation" had long since been used as a warm-up by the JSU "Marching Southerners" and during Spirit's stay at JSU, it became one of Spirit's corps songs.

"Salvation" by the JSU Marching Southerners.

Full Disclosure: My son is an alum of both JSU and the band. My daughter is a current JSU student and band member. And all my money also goes to JSU.

Actually, Spirit of Atlanta began playing Salvation back in the late 70s, long before the corps moved to Jacksonville for a few years. But Spirit has had a close connection to JSU since the very beginning. Spirit's founding director was a JSU alumnus, and many of the charter year members were from JSU. Our first warmup chorale in 1977 was Navy Hymn, and Jim Ott arranged Salvation for us in 1978 or 1979, I believe after hearing the Marching Southerners play it.

• Like 2

Actually, Spirit of Atlanta began playing Salvation back in the late 70s, long before the corps moved to Jacksonville for a few years. But Spirit has had a close connection to JSU since the very beginning. Spirit's founding director was a JSU alumnus, and many of the charter year members were from JSU. Our first warmup chorale in 1977 was Navy Hymn, and Jim Ott arranged Salvation for us in 1978 or 1979, I believe after hearing the Marching Southerners play it.

Thanks for the clarification!

• Like 1

We played a great arr. of "Salvation is Created" by Greg Flores at VK. it was in D (relative) minor....transposing from G-treble to concert...the arr. was in Amin. It was haunting and beautiful. Garfield had almost the same arr. at the time.

I can affirm that God/Religion/etc. was never invoked or discussed when we played it...it was functionally a warm-up etude to dial in pitch, voicing, and ens. balance.

I can also affirm that though it was presented in a secular way, when we played it...it was BEYOND spiritual.

Salvation WAS created....this writer is a pure skeptic and scientist btw...just to give u an idea of what it takes to move that part of me...call it the soul...call it what you want...it's Metaphysical in nature and that composition taps into it.

Most music composed over the last 1,000 yrs was intended to glorify an infinite consciousness; something (a power) greater than ourselves (we can prove these things exist...ever been trashed by an 8-foot wave?...fallen in love? ...need I go on?....), or a leader who was being praised as one, so what shall we do? Throwout Brahms, Bach, Handel, Mozart, Beethoven....just smear concrete right over the best music ever written cuz it ain't secular? f--- that!

Edited by Tapper7

From what I understand, Scouts played it a lot as a warmup/rehearsal piece.

I can confirm that. Played it alongside them on tour...there was a common arr. going around and most of the corps had it in the 90s. In addition to my "show," I had The Liberty Bell March, Salvation, You'll Never Walk Alone, Clowns, One More Time, La Fiesta, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, The Star Spangled Banner (solo and ens. arr.), Concierto de Aranjuez, all bugle calls and America/O'Canada memorized ...locked n loaded to bust out at anytime, w/ the exception of the Maynard/FutureCorps stuff, knowing the above charts was NOT optional.

Where were you in China? I just spent the last week in Shanghai, Pudong, and mostly in Huai'an.

Shanghai, Hangzhou, Ningbo, Yangshou, Zhoushan, Jianxing, and Shaoxing. Got to visit my favorite spot of the old walled city shopping district at Yuyuan Gardens in Shanghai. Was there for the ninth year in a row with a concert band that utilized eight of my compositions and arrangements on each concert. (Half the stuff was arrangements of Chinese folk songs and television theme shows that we used for encores.)

Hmm. Sideways just there, Boo just there, Jim Jones '14 just back from there: what is DCI cooking up for us???

I don't know. I wasn't there on DCI business.