The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

I know some of these have been mentioned before, but oh well:

"Yosemite Autumn" - Mark Camphouse http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songI...;songID=4378720 (click on "play lo fi" or "play hi fi" to hear it)

"Nostradamus" - Otto Schwarz http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songI...;songID=3762791

"El Camino Real" - Alfred Reed

"Of Sailors and Whales" - W. Francis McBeth

"O Magnum Mysterium" - Morton Lauridsen

"Procession of the Nobles" - Rimsky-Korsakov

"Breakthrough" - Frank Loch http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songI...;songID=4085481

Anything by Philip Glass! I've always wanted to do/see a show called "Glassworks" using the music of Philip Glass- mainly his organ works. Granted, a LOT of his music would have to be used since he is a minimalist composer, so you'd need a lot of songs to keep the music moving forward.

I'm not entirely certain if this has been done, but I've never seen it if it has.

Frank Zappa- Peaches en Regalia (could almost do a whole show just on this)

I've been saying for a long time that this would make a great drum corps show. I wouldn't be surprised if it has been discussed as a possibility. I'm sure Frank would love the idea of this were he still alive. His wife however, now holds the rights to all of his music and is notoriously tight about how the music is used.

I was going to suggest the all Zappa countdown but Cron beat me to it--nice

1983 Scouts played it. A few alumni corps too.

You're right. They misspelled Kabalevsky as Kabelevsky so it didn't come up. Thanks!

Someone on here has mentioned Atukagawa before, prompting me to download some of his stuff - WONDERFUL. I'll add his Trinita Sinfonica to the list.

Agreed on Hovhaness - I'm particularly fond of Mysterious Mountain and And God Created Great Whales (sans the whale noises please, despite the ability to include electronics).

Bernstein's Divertimento.

Alexander Grechaninov has some great choral works and symphonies, especially No. 2, that I think would work well.

And I will continue to beat the Jean Sibelius drum. Symphony 5, Night-Ride and Sunrise.

Sorry, I know this has been brought up a little bit, but there are a lot of pieces by Eric Whitacre that would make AMAZING ballads!!

Some have already been done but I was thinking of these;

When David Heard

Sleep (Cascades)

Lux Aurumque (Cascades, Memphis Sound)

Cloudburst (Scv, Bk)

Water Night

Hope, Faith, Life, Love

I just love his music; so beautiful. I love seeing it end up on the field.

At a show last year I saw the all age corps." The Empire Statesmen"

They played a show off "Big Band" era music...Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, Count Basie and etc.

One of the most entertaining shows I've seen in years.

Would be a rush to hear a great hornline like Crown, or BD cut loose on a book like that.

• 2 weeks later...
im a crown fan but I think phantom could pull off the theme from the movie gladiator.

That would seem a little desperate to me, and it would undoubtedly fall short of Spartacus. They can't rely on just killing people to do well.