The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

oh hmm.  That would lend itself to the whole 'articulation tonguing technical passage' that seen seems to be a compulsory element in arranging.  

29 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

oh hmm.  That would lend itself to the whole 'articulation tonguing technical passage' that seen seems to be a compulsory element in arranging.  

I don't think of Mozart as being that kind of throwaway garbage.  A more or less straight arrangement is what I'm talking about.  It's a fantastic piece of music, but dismiss it however you want if that's how you have fun.  

What you're talking about is some orchestrator/arranger playing with a motif and adding arpeggios and double/triple tonguing where it was never meant to be.  That can literally be done with any piece of music, not just the one I put up.  And no, I wouldn't want that done to anything Mozart wrote.  His music doesn't need embellishment for the sake of embellishment.  

Edited by Lance

37 minutes ago, Lance said:

I don't think of Mozart as being that kind of throwaway garbage.  A more or less straight arrangement is what I'm talking about.  It's a fantastic piece of music, but dismiss it however you want if that's how you have fun.  

What you're talking about is some orchestrator/arranger playing with a motif and adding arpeggios and double/triple tonguing where it was never meant to be.  That can literally be done with any piece of music, not just the one I put up.  And no, I wouldn't want that done to anything Mozart wrote.  His music doesn't need embellishment for the sake of embellishment.  

I am...sort of surprised you took it this way as its entirely NOT my intent.

I don't see those technical passages as 'throwaway garbage' when done right and concur that this would be a great way to have both the requisite technical show off sort of content but in a meaningful way that retains fidelity to the composition.

In the same way Bloo found a way to both have a technical show off element and retain fidelity to Anna Meredith's Bump last year, this could create a real "musical moment of the summer." 

So...yeah, I'm still positive here and don't really understand where your guff is coming from. Some arrangers create throwaways, other find gems like this.  

19 hours ago, Lance said:

Let's keep things positive here.

19 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I am...sort of surprised you took it this way as its entirely NOT my intent.

100% my mistake then.  I should've figured you weren't the type to be negative at all, much less about Mozart, so I apologize.

On 2/23/2024 at 3:25 PM, kdaddy said:

I attended a clinic with Frank Ticheli today, and this tune was rehearsed. The ending is the drum corpsiest thing that ever drum corps'd.

getting caught up.  listening to this after heehaw was a jolt lol.  

hard to imagine a corps not doing this soon.  love it. 

I just got turned on to this album recently.  Not sure how adaptable any of this is to the field, but wow...the propulsive intensity and unexpected harmonic twists have kept this on constant replay.  The whole album is full of bangers.

• Like 1