The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Please, thanks, bye
  • Like 1

<Schubert's Unfinished Symphony.>

I've thought many pieces drum corps' have played were poor choices, and been pleasantly surprised to be wrong. But the Schubert is, to me, such a string and woodwind piece...a work so completely of its orchestration, that it would seem (to me) to be a very poor choice for drum corps -

Edited by FHdork

No thanks.

I'd rather not have someone attempt to perform either of those, especially "The Wall".

It takes Pink Floyd well over an hour to build the feelings of depression and isolation necessary for that album... I'd rather not have a drum corps try and condense it into a short story. Besides, as much as I like the music, it's the lyrics that really make those albums work. (and I'm not at all a fan of any sort of amped vocals in drum corps)

What about

?

<Schubert's Unfinished Symphony.>

I've thought many pieces drum corps' have played were poor choices, and been pleasantly surprised to be wrong. But the Schubert is, to me, such a string and woodwind piece...a work so completely of its orchestration, that I it would seem (to me) to be a very poor choice for drum corps -

Ahh, but Schubert was a master of melody. Hearing those wonderful and haunting melodies in the capable hands of a luscious brass sound...gives me chills just thinking about the possibilities. Isn't that what people like to hear, great melodies?

I can imagine a great brass line doing it. But I'm finding it hard to imagine any battery percussion there...or drill...or synthesizer...or the other synthesizer...or the 9 marimbas...or the 4 xylophones...or the gong...or the guy/gal playing all the doolydads that keep on ringing long after the phrase is over.

Please, thanks, bye

I agree - kind of a badly made movie but the music was great!

• Like 1

This would be amazing...

Oh I like this piece. Of course it sounds like that The Cascades would have played this past year in their show.

it's the lyrics that really make those albums work.

It's not the lyrics that make Pink Floyd's music work for me. It's most definitely the chordal structure... Don't get me wrong, some of the songs have lyrics that make them work, but I enjoy so many of the songs that don't really have too many words...

Personally, I wouldn't want anyone to do these two pieces above or any Floyd. I've witnessed marching bands doing them and I do not think it translates to either idiom ( corps or mb) with the instrumentation used.