SOA '15

Spirit is in Michigan and their trucks shouldn't be too far behind. An alum posted a pic of the semis heading north on I-75 early yesterday.

They're heeeeerrrrrreeeee! Our wayward semis have caught up to the Corps in Michigan. They arrived about an hour or so ago.

Spirit-TrucksAreHere-20150620.jpg

Spirit-TrucksAreHere2-20150620.jpg

I've seen a run through of their show before they left Atlanta, watched it 2xs, and this is going to be purely my opinion on the 2015 edition of Spirit of Atlanta. Before I watched it, as the video was loading up, I was thinking oh goodness, please nothing like last year...After watching it, I was happy to say I enjoyed it enough to watch it again. The beginning of the show up to the ballad was stronger than the last portion of the show, and I'm sure that is fatigue being so early in the season.

1) Compared to last years show - there is no comparison. This is musically going to appeal to a wide audience, even those with no music background will appreciate the selections.

2) There is a lot of drill happening, some more advanced movements than I've seen from them before...kind of reminded me of crown and cadets type of drill, maybe a bigger lean to cadets (ish). Technically, the demand is there.

3) Musical arranging is really good, and the ballad is excellent. I've seen other corps who are playing better than they are right now, but as with the drill, the demand is there...just need to clean away.

4) I think the weaker part for them is going to be the guard...they have a lot of work to do.

5) Field coverage...they use most the entire field, from the stands looking at the field, not anything on upper far left, but the rest of field is covered at points during the show...for ballad, the corps is on the right 3rd of the field, guard in the middle to upper front and the battery is opposite side of the field back left...they cover some ground.

Basically, they've taken on a show that is ambitious...I think scoring wise we'll see the content is there, the difficulty is there, and the achievement scores will be a few points below that...to me, if they can clean this thing visually and musically, they are going to surprise people, especially if your last memory of them was whatever that was last year. I think their scores will steadily climb as they clean and I do NOT think they will max this show out soon.

I know some others probably feel or have a different take on the show...but this is my first impression and am looking forward to seeing it performed.

JKT90

Edited by JKT90

It seems the guard is always an after thought for them. In seeing their preview show, there was not much unison work, ineffective dancing on the ballad with no equipment and I forgot how many times they did ground rolls. There were more flag tosses, just not together.

So no disguising anything, I have taken great issue with SOA’s admin/board starting with last year’s bad decision making.

That stated, them not being at the show in Louisville initially surprised me, but then I thought, I really should not be surprised at all.

I went to bed last night, and woke up this morning, trying to get the following questions and thoughts out of my head:

If a truck safety compliance issue is the real reason they missed their season opener, who

let that wait until the last minute? They have been in the same general area for over three weeks

in a huge metropolitan region where getting inspections, repairs, drivers, etc., would not be a problem.

Doesn’t quite make sense to me.

If there was a last minute equipment breakdown, then report that as fact. It leaves little to

no question and helps make related issues/consequences of the breakdown a bit easier to swallow.

If a driver issue, same.

If either of these two reasons, or something closely related is accurate, how did that

conversation go with the members? Especially those who are still rightfully apprehensive of things

based on 2014’s decision making.

How do you tell members they are missing their season opener? One in an amazing

stadium, in the south, probably close to a lot of family and friends, alumni, and fans?

How do you tell members that family and friends they were planning to see at the

show- well, that won’t be happening. While we can all agree that if anything, drum corps

members are strong, resilient, learn to roll with the punches, etc. . . . but your first show?

It plain and simple sucks and sucks hard. And if due to admin error? You can

never get that one back. There is only one show opener a year; second shows replacing

that as a default do not count. All the buzz? All the anticipation? All the emotional

pacing and talks to that point? And while vets may adapt better, what about the large

number of rookies? They have little to no experience with the tolls drum corps can place

on you mentally.

How much practice time was lost? Real practice time, with equipment? What toll does the

drive from ATL to Michigan have on the members?

How about those that paid to see 8 corps and saw 7? How did that phone call go with

Dan Acheson? Again, especially if admin error is to blame.

How does this effect any early season comparisons? Though they will see Crossmen, the

opportunity to compare to Troopers super early is gone.

I hope the corps kicks ### tonight. I hope that though missing the first show caused some consequences, the members don’t skip a beat (so to speak) and have their best run possible, all potential influences of missing the first show be dammed.

Spirit did not drive from ATL to Michigan nonstop. The members and staff were in Louisville ready for the show. They only had to drive from Louisville to Michigan last night.

I can't speak to the truck issue other than it was to my mind something one cannot plan for nor was it the Corps' fault. No breakdowns. As I posted in another thread, it was literally last minute out of the blue.

Not as much drama as folks here are hoping.

• Like 1

There is a FB Alumni closed group page, where the Board Pres. offers an explanation. Have heard second hand reports from staff that the MM's are in good spirits and ready to go for tonight.

Edited by JKT90

So no disguising anything, I have taken great issue with SOA’s admin/board starting with last year’s bad decision making.

That stated, them not being at the show in Louisville initially surprised me, but then I thought, I really should not be surprised at all.

I went to bed last night, and woke up this morning, trying to get the following questions and thoughts out of my head:

If a truck safety compliance issue is the real reason they missed their season opener, who

let that wait until the last minute? They have been in the same general area for over three weeks

in a huge metropolitan region where getting inspections, repairs, drivers, etc., would not be a problem.

Doesn’t quite make sense to me.

If there was a last minute equipment breakdown, then report that as fact. It leaves little to

no question and helps make related issues/consequences of the breakdown a bit easier to swallow.

If a driver issue, same.

If either of these two reasons, or something closely related is accurate, how did that

conversation go with the members? Especially those who are still rightfully apprehensive of things

based on 2014’s decision making.

How do you tell members they are missing their season opener? One in an amazing

stadium, in the south, probably close to a lot of family and friends, alumni, and fans?

How do you tell members that family and friends they were planning to see at the

show- well, that won’t be happening. While we can all agree that if anything, drum corps

members are strong, resilient, learn to roll with the punches, etc. . . . but your first show?

It plain and simple sucks and sucks hard. And if due to admin error? You can

never get that one back. There is only one show opener a year; second shows replacing

that as a default do not count. All the buzz? All the anticipation? All the emotional

pacing and talks to that point? And while vets may adapt better, what about the large

number of rookies? They have little to no experience with the tolls drum corps can place

on you mentally.

How much practice time was lost? Real practice time, with equipment? What toll does the

drive from ATL to Michigan have on the members?

How about those that paid to see 8 corps and saw 7? How did that phone call go with

Dan Acheson? Again, especially if admin error is to blame.

How does this effect any early season comparisons? Though they will see Crossmen, the

opportunity to compare to Troopers super early is gone.

I hope the corps kicks ### tonight. I hope that though missing the first show caused some consequences, the members don’t skip a beat (so to speak) and have their best run possible, all potential influences of missing the first show be dammed.

As I understand it, a CDL driver they hired unexpectedly quit the day they were to depart. They had to get a new driver and insurance certificates because of this.

As I understand it, a CDL driver they hired unexpectedly quit the day they were to depart. They had to get a new driver and insurance certificates because of this.

The kids all took the news with stride. It's drum corps and things happen. Kids adapt better than arm chair critics. :-)

• Like 2