SOA '15

And today's schedule, courtesy of the Fab Four.

Spirit-Schedule-20150615.jpg

The Disclaimer: I totally love this Corps (see signature block), so any "review" from this homer might not be worth much. There are already 2 reviews (one in this thread and the other in the Reviews forum) on the Preview show, so I might just post some observations and include a comparison of this year's Spirit versus last year's edition.

The Venue: The show was presented at Luella HS (south of Atlanta) where Spirit is doing their Spring Training. It was HOT, but luckily a dark cloud passed in front of the sun (no chance of rain) during most of the show which gave the fans a little relief. The 2 center sections of seats in the stadium were pretty much packed and the crowd certainly was enthusiastic.

The Uniforms: The Guard did not have their uniforms/costumes yet. The head seamstress said the uniforms are "beautiful" but "no dresses this year". They were also using practice flags. The rest of the Corps were in their normal uniforms -- new last year -- and I didn't see any changes.

The Show: Spirit presented the entire package -- music, drill, and guard -- for the whole show. Last year, they only had the Opener with drill and guard, and then played the rest of the music standstill with no guard work. So, they are WEEKS ahead of where they were last year. There were no major hiccups that I could tell, but as for any first formal presentation, there's lots of stuff to clean -- and they know it and are working on it. In a break from the past, there isn't a jazz/blues section in the show. I didn't really miss it.

The MIAs: There was an obvious hole for Bass Drum #2 and there might have been one in the brass. I hadn't heard of any injuries, so we are assuming this is school related. I saw 2 brass alternates and I think a guard alt.

The Percussion: I have a friend (a recent age-out) who plays snare. He lives in the area, so he's been visiting a little during Spring Training. He says the percussion is much better than when he saw them last week and are continuing to improve. As a brass player, the battery and pit did not draw my attention away from other aspects of the show (except, of course, for their features) -- which for me means they are part of the ensemble. I thought the pit balance with the brass was surprisingly good.

The Speakers: In another thread, folks were asking about speaker placement. The pit speakers were situated on the 35s, about 5 yards to either side of the pit. Looks like they were using 2 18" woofers plus a mid-range horn on top of a subwoofer cabinet. I expect there were some tweeters in the cabinet I couldn't see from the stands. (Sorry, sometimes my geekiness just slips out.)

The Guard: Not much to say here. Would have loved to see the show uniforms and silks. I thought they did great!

The Props: None.

The Brass: Saving the best for last (only because I play brass). I've been associated with Spirit only since 2011, but this is the LOUDEST Spirit brass I've heard during that time. I first thought it was the new Kanstul horns, but I was told the brass staff has been concentrating on getting the members to play loud, but in control. I think they have succeeded. They are marching only 76 (12 contras), but when they want to, they can sound twice that. I REALLY enjoyed the volume, the sound, and the blend. There are a LOT of notes in this show and the members are handling it very well.

I guess that's about it. I totally enjoyed the show and I'm really looking forward to the first competition and the upcoming season. GO SPIRIT <(

So according to this guy and two other reviewers of their preview show, they were loud. Any thing else brought to the table? Anything? Loud doesn't get one out of 17th.

Edited by westcoastblue

The preview vid is up on youtube. They never said not to. If they want I could take it down

• Like 1

So according to this guy and two other reviewers of their preview show, they were loud. Any thing else brought to the table? Anything? Loud doesn't get one out of 17th.

There was a lot more said than just loud. Please read the reviews. And, by the way, it was just a preview show, not prelims.

Do you like stalking me? It seems lately everything I post, you either disagree and/or post something snarky.

The preview vid is up on youtube. They never said not to. If they want I could take it down

Wow this is way better than last year very powerful hornline just gotta work on those feet the demand is there great job

If the music arrangements are well done and the hornline is in playing with good tone, loud is all I need. :)

There was a lot more said than just loud. Please read the reviews. And, by the way, it was just a preview show, not prelims.

Do you like stalking me? It seems lately everything I post, you either disagree and/or post something snarky.

Do not take it personally. His posts are aways a bit, shall we say, pointed.

Do not take it personally. His posts are aways a bit, shall we say, pointed.

So I've noticed.

I'm having a hard day at work -- sigh! Shouldn't let it get to me.

I can't find the preview video can someone send me a PM?