93 Star vs. 95 Madison

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which show do you prefer?

• 93 Star
    • 95 Madison

These two shows stand out in people's lists of favorites, and they seem to go along with other choices that have similar drum corps values. Does the one you prefer say something about what you think drum corps should be?

Of course, feel free to qualify your answer in the thread.

• Like 1

I just went back and watched 95 Madison. What a show! Personally I prefer it to 88, but still Star 93 wins between them. The power in 95 Madison is unbelievable. You know, the Madison-ness of it. It was very Madisony. Madisonesque, even. Not Madisonic, though. That would come later.

This poll is a reflection of the views of DCP posters. For the record, DCI did a national poll... much, much larger, more diverse, sample.... a few years back and the most favorite show of all time among the poll participants was the 1987 SCV " Phantom of the Opera " show. '88 Madison finished ahead of '93 Star by several spots. Crown's 2007 " Triple Crown " show finished ahead of '93 Star with national fans. Although to be fair to '93 Star, Crown's 2007 " Triple Crown " show was much more recent at the time of the poll and thus had that advantage with newer, younger fans, that '93 Star probably did not enjoy as it was a much older show production.

93 Star should be compared in a poll, in my view, with other avant garde shows, such as 2012, 2013, Blue Devils shows.

DCI's winning '88 Madison's show, a huge hit with national audiences, should be compared to other more traditional shows, such as the more recent Phantom Regiment 2008 DCI winning show " Spartacus " that likewise was a huge hit with national audiences.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I abstain as I have a preference between the two, but to commit to it would force me to vote against 95 Madison, an act that I am simply not able to do.

As I think about this poll, the word prefer is key. Yes, I am always going to prefer a show that will captivate me and get me out of my seat, and quite frankly, I have never seen a Madison show, even some of their weaker shows, that has not moved me, so I'll probably always "prefer" Madison.

Now regarding this question, we are asked to compare Star 93' a show that some still believe and others have come to believe should have placed first, and Madison 95, a show that was one of the all time crowd pleasers but probably placed where it should have placed. It's amazing, I still listen to it in the car, and it was my favorite show of that year, but because I like it does not mean it should place first, but I will always prefer it.

Now of you really want to know what I prefer--99 Madison "Jesus Christ Superstar" not a perfect show, but pure Madison. I saw it live in Lynn at the old Manning Bowl, I lived about three quarters of a mile from the stadium at the time, and the senior citizens who lived in the building behind where I lived claimed they heard some of it as if they were in attendance. That's Madison and that's drum corps. Soap box finished.

• Like 1

Someone could make a poll of Star '93 vs. any Madison Scouts show ever fielded and I would vote Star '93 every single time.

Cool. I'd vote Madison every single time.

• Like 2