Indiana's New Law

I think you have not read the law. But thank you for reaffirming what others have posted regarding race vs behavioral discrimination. Everyone I think agrees it's civil rights; but this silly comparison to the black plight simply doesn't hold water. To point out the obvious, if you are born black there is no way to hide that fact.

Really?

Tell that to these people: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/twins-white-black-born-biracial-parents-stirs-issues/story?id=12984334

Then there's: http://styleblazer.com/191954/25-celebrities-you-didnt-know-were-black/

There's a LOT of people who are "born black" that pass as white.

Here you go ( Jay Smooth example of a black guy who Nancy Giles thought was white). I guess that means it's no long as obvious, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znV4AA9CNJU

Edited by jjeffeory

Please just stop.

I'll stand beside you, Lincoln. Every second...every minute...every hour...every day. And you may trust that -- I give you my solemn word on it.

• Like 3

Trying to rate struggles by comparing one to another reminds me of the Jaws scene where drunken Richard Dreyfus and Robert Shaw are playing top-one-another with bite marks: "Look at this--moray eel got me there". Right after this is the, "You were on the Indianapolis?" explanation, which gives me the creeps more than anything else in the movie and shows how dumb the arguing really was.

That's one of the best scenes in the movie. Apparently, Robert Shaw was trashed when they shot it too.

Emphasis added.

I couldn't pass up the irony of noting that this side conversation is about a ship named for the place this thread is about!

Curiously, when you search Youtube for "Indianapolis speech", two main items come up. First that great monologue from Jaws:

"Anyway, we delivered the bomb."

And second a famous (and nearly impromptu) speech delivered seven years earlier in Indianapolis, on the subject of civil rights:

"It is not the end of violence; it is not the end of lawlessness; and it's not the end of disorder."

• Like 1

In some ways I agree with you.

I guess it was histrionic emotion and the comments I was PMed about the US attacking Arabs throughout the world and that the US was to blame for 9/11 because his lover was killed in the Twin Towers take down (Ground Zero, NYC.) Plus there ware that Imperial attitude that only the Throne knows what is best for The Colonies (even though they lost that battle in 1776, 1812, etc.) The ranting that Europe really didn't need the US in WWII put it over the top. (For full disclosure, my maternal uncle died after the Battle of the Bulge and is buried in the U.S. veteran's cemetery in the country where the poster lived; my uncle had not reached the age of DCI age-outs. My family came to this country due to the government in Europe taking my family's land and forbidding education solely because they were Catholic. It is a personal issue for me on many levels.)

You are correct. Some of "craziness" has not always led to good conversation, dialogue, or truth-seeking in common. Some of it is like the Chinese saying, "A chicken trying to talk to a duck."

Your hedge of whether non-Hoosiers can comment about Indiana law is not dissimilar to the newest facet of the argument being presented by the genuinely interested, the rabble rousers, the media, and the academics. Lawyers are now looking into whether Governors (like CT) or Mayors (like Seattle, San Francisco, and Portland in Oregon) violate US law on free trade, equality of States, and discrimination by favoring some States and boycotting others. One could go bald with all the hair splitting and finger pointing which only makes lawyers and the media rich.

Well the "news" outlets are certainly "earning" their money...

Eh, I'm just not for hating on anyone, and frankly, I've lived in 9 states all over the United States. I know people of all persuasion, and I also hear their stories. I believe that my rights stop where they infringe upon your rights as a human being... Your story is interesting, and the person you're talking about with the PM's story also sounds interesting. I'm sure that neither wants to hurt the other, but that's what sometimes happens...

I'm thinking that this whole issue could be taken up and decided by the U.S. Supreme court. There has to be an initial suit of course and it's all going to take time, but it seems like it's time.

Personally, I don't believe that businesses have "religious freedoms". The owners do, and the owners can exercise their religious freedoms when not serving the public. Why should a business entity have something that is only important to organic lifeforms? I mean, if a corporation has religious freedoms, maybe it should also be able to go to jail? Anyway, I digress.

I'm really glad that this thread has been going, I've learned a lot about the people posting here. Funny thing is that many of us can get along so well until a hot button issue is tripped and then it completely flips the perception we have for one another.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

I'll stand beside you, Lincoln. Every second...every minute...every hour...every day. And you may trust that -- I give you my solemn word on it.

I knew I liked you!

• Like 1

That sounds a little impractical, but I guess it's Lincoln's call.

Edited by skevinp

Really?

Tell that to these people: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/twins-white-black-born-biracial-parents-stirs-issues/story?id=12984334

Then there's: http://styleblazer.com/191954/25-celebrities-you-didnt-know-were-black/

There's a LOT of people who are "born black" that pass as white.

Here you go ( Jay Smooth example of a black guy who Nancy Giles thought was white). I guess that means it's no long as obvious, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znV4AA9CNJU

Oooo a gotcha moment. Not really. But really nice effort.

Oooo a gotcha moment. Not really. But really nice effort.

Nothing is absolute. Just pointing that out. The old arguments and excuses are slowly falling away.

• Like 1